Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So, make it with less! Like the little Poke shop near the Hilo airport says, To Your Taste!

There are a million ways to make poke, and it's very flexible, very versatile. I just wanted to give a simple recipe that could easily be put together on the mainland. Notice there's no 'inamona and no limu in this recipe, because he'll never find them in Portland. Also note that the sesame oil used is the regular light cooking oil, not the dark and flavorful toasted sesame oil used as a condiment in Chinese cooking.
Once again guys im so greatful, if u only knew. Looking forward to making this soon, and seeing the faces of my friends as they take a bite of li hing mui lol, it will be priceless. Mahalo Open and kaimuki.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Are u a crack seed person Open?
No, but I do keep Li Hing powder on hand to dip the rim of glasses in for Lilikoi Margaritas and other adult beverages.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
No, but I do keep Li Hing powder on hand to dip the rim of glasses in for Lilikoi Margaritas and other adult beverages.
Ya i heard its the bomb with Margaritas and other drinks, got to try that too.

Lol i just need to start stashing money away and just move back home. That will solve my lack of issues. lol

Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,480 times
Quote:
So, make it with less! Like the little Poke shop near the Hilo airport says, To Your Taste!

There are a million ways to make poke, and it's very flexible, very versatile. I just wanted to give a simple recipe that could easily be put together on the mainland. Notice there's no 'inamona and no limu in this recipe, because he'll never find them in Portland. Also note that the sesame oil used is the regular light cooking oil, not the dark and flavorful toasted sesame oil used as a condiment in Chinese cooking.
I'm well aware of that, I've been eating poke for decades

What makes you think people who haven't tried poke would want that much shoyu in their poke? Hell, locals like me and my family don't want that much shoyu. Also, your recipe didn't specify what type of sesame oil. Most of use the dark stuff in Hawaii. 1 tablespoon of that stuff with a 1lb. of ahi would ruin the poke. I have no idea where you came up with your recipe.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
What makes you think people who haven't tried poke would want that much shoyu in their poke? Hell, locals like me and my family don't want that much shoyu.
So make it to your taste, no problem!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:46 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,480 times
Quote:
So make it to your taste, no problem!
I do eat poke the way I like it. The point is your recipe calls for far too much shoyu and you didn't specify which sesame oil to use. In other words, it's unlikely your poke would be enjoyed by that many people. Doesn't it bother you that others might spend a lot of money on ahi only to ruin it with too much salt and sesame oil? For once can you stop pretending you're an expert on all things Hawaii?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I do eat poke the way I like it. The point is your recipe calls for far too much shoyu and you didn't specify which sesame oil to use. In other words, it's unlikely your poke would be enjoyed by that many people. Doesn't it bother you that others might spend a lot of money on ahi only to ruin it with too much salt and sesame oil? For once can you stop pretending you're an expert on all things Hawaii?
Its ok my brahs, i was going to experiment anyway. U have to make the sauce b4 you mix it with the ahi right? My brahs mahalo, for care'n that i have an enjoyable experience.

Please no fight, no biggie k? U both want to help much mahalos.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Hey my brah, would u share your recipe with me? But ya getting ingredients will be hard, since just getting whats popular at home like crack seed or li hing mui u cant get here. Maybe i can order online? And at least both recipes will be here for others.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I do eat poke the way I like it. The point is your recipe calls for far too much shoyu
For you.

Quote:
and you didn't specify which sesame oil to use.
If I had meant toasted sesame seed oil I would have said toasted sesame seed oil. I didn't because that isn't what I meant. Sesame seed oil is a cooking oil, light in color and mild flavored, sold in large bottles, and not terribly expensive. Like this, $8/16 oz.: Spectrum Naturals Sesame Oil | drugstore.com

Toasted sesame oil (aka Asian sesame oil) is a flavoring condiment, not a cooking oil, sold in small bottles, pricey, and used sparingly, like a few drops in a big bowl of noodles. Like this: Loriva Toasted Sesame Oil, 8 oz - Best Price

To me it seemed obvious what I was talking about. Sorry if I confused anybody.

Quote:
In other words, it's unlikely your poke would be enjoyed by that many people.
Says you. Taste is highly subjective.

Quote:
Doesn't it bother you that others might spend a lot of money on ahi only to ruin it with too much salt and sesame oil?
Says you. Taste is infinitely variable.

Some people like their poke with no shoyu at all, but I prefer the style called ahi shoyu poke. When I pick up already made ahi poke at the store I always have to add shoyu "to my taste." So I suggested what I like. I trust that people can judge for themselves what they like. Some might think what I suggested is way too light on the chile peppers, or needs seaweed, or whatever their own taste is. Some think the cubes of fish should be 3/4", not 1/2". As far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

What does bother me is your hostility. There really is no need for it at all, and it is exactly the kind of nastiness that ruins the tone of this forum whenever it pops up. Where is your aloha? If you have a recipe you like better, post it. That would be a positive action, not one based in negativity.

Quote:
For once can you stop pretending you're an expert on all things Hawaii?
I don't pretend anything, and I readily admit I don't know everything. I am what I am, nothing more, nothing less... and I'm someone who likes to be of service to others and to be helpful and supportive. I've long subscribed to the view that life is a perpetual climb up an endless ladder, and that you only have to be one step behind someone else to be able to learn from them, and one step ahead of someone else to be able to lend a hand and teach them whatever you do know. Most people seem to appreciate what I have to contribute here. A few don't. Oh, well... can't please everyone!

Here, a recipe you might like better than what I posted... from Hawaii Magazine... hey, hey, only half as much shoyu! And 2 teaspoons of oil instead of the 3 I suggested (3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon). Adds grated ginger, which I often use myself, and optionally crushed macadamia nuts.

Make Hawaii-style ahi poke wherever you are. Here's a recipe. by Kalei Talwar | HAWAII Magazine |

Last edited by OpenD; 08-13-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hey my brah, would u share your recipe with me? But ya getting ingredients will be hard, since just getting whats popular at home like crack seed or li hing mui u cant get here. Maybe i can order online?
Yeah, almost anything is available online now. For example, Amazon carries things like Poi powder, and red Hawaiian salt, and even dried limu for Poke... (Japanese cal it Ogo)... as well as Poke "kits" like this one, for making Poke from a pound of tuna.

NOH Hawaiian Poke Mix, 0.4-Ounce Packet, (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Funny though, the guy in the second comment says he likes to use 4 teaspoons of sesame oil instead of 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii