Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

You know your from Hawai'i living on the mainland when this happens.

1) Your driving and letting ppl pass and ppl are honking at you and giving you the bird for going to slow.

2) Your in english class and the teacher asks you to say the word boy and you say boi or bus and you say bas or brush and you say bus. and teacher things you have learning disorders or special education

3) the first day in the mainland its 55 and you have to ware a heavy coat.

4) when your the darkest person in the room.

5) Ppl complain your backwards in your thinking.

6) Ppl ask you dumb questions about Hawai'i like,
A) Do all u guys speak Hawai'ian?
B) Do all of ypu surf?
C) Do all you guys live on the beach?
D) Why do you speak weird?
E) Are you American?
F) Do you have Mcdonalds, Sears etc.

answers based on age of moving to mainland. lol

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 06-24-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM

106 posts, read 230,256 times
whaaaaat??? dude.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM

Jesus is there anyone from Hawai'i that moved to the mainland that has had to change some habits or had humorous things happen like

U know your from Hawai''i and living in the mainland, when a friend calls after 10pm and asks what your doing? And you say your staying up late to watch the game..

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 06-24-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
I think most Hawaiians on the mainland had to adjust. My wife had to learn to be tougher and not so trusting. She is extremely kind and generous by nature, and many people in the business world took it as a sign of weakness and being sort of stupid. She learned how to play the game, but it goes against who she is.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I think most Hawaiians on the mainland had to adjust. My wife had to learn to be tougher and not so trusting. She is extremely kind and generous by nature, and many people in the business world took it as a sign of weakness and being sort of stupid. She learned how to play the game, but it goes against who she is.

Oh i understand completely what you mean. Thats what i mean by backwards thinking the mainlander have and what they accuse us of. Another one is getting used to being me centered first because you have to instead of ohana and community centered first. Ya kindness and trusting can be seen as weak by mainlanders here. I still have problems with that.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 06-24-2013 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 AM

You know your from Hawaii'i and living on the mainland when you go out for a plate lunch special and all they give you is a scoop of rice and one scoop of mac salad. Are you kidding?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
You know you're from Hawaiʻi living on the "mainland" when you start to refer to the "continental United States" as the "mainland."

Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 AM

189 posts, read 283,005 times
Though I am not from Hawai'i, I spent 18 years of my childhood between Alaska and Hawai'i and can bring something to this thread maybe. Some of these are definitely idiosyncratic to me, but here we go:

I still use the terms "oceanside" or "landside" (sort of like mauka and makai), but living in South Florida that worked perfectly as well. Not so much in Idaho or Minneapolis.

I use the word 'one' as the indefinite article 'a', as in "I know one guy that likes to do that" instead of "I know a guy who likes to do that". I'm not saying literally that I only know one guy that likes do that, just in an indefinite, general sense. Now, Standard English syntax allows me to do this, but this most definitely comes from "ekahi/kahi" structure for me.

I dunno if anyone remembers one of the guys running for office in Honolulu a while back that had those radio ads that said "be akamai, stay in school!" - I still say "be akamai" to my mainland friends, and then quickly have to explain it.

When I moved to the mainland, I heard lots of jokes about Southern People and Polish (as the standard "know-nothings"), whereas I grew up learning those same jokes about Portuguese

I still ask for Saimin instead of Ramen. I know there are some subtle differences now, as an adult, but I still can't break that habit.

Shoyu NOT Soy Sauce. Again, subtle differences, but cannot break that one either!

When I first moved, I asked at restaurants what starches they have and they would look at me funny. Even at UH, you still see a separate starch menu.

I requested my local yogurt place to get Taro flavor (WHICH THEY DID AND IT WAS FREAKING AMAZING WITH MOCHI ON IT)

Even though you know Malasadas and Filled Doughnuts are basically the same thing, they still taste different

I felt so alone when the 7-11 on the mainland didn't sell Li-Hing everything.. I missed those rainbow licorices covered in sweet, sweet li-hing powder!

Speaking of 7-11, when I moved to the mainland, I was surprised to see you couldn't cater parties there.

I still say "pu-pus" instead of 'pu-pu platters" (abbreviate the noun and then pluralize just the abbreviation).

I refer to the older females I work with, and who I respect deeply, as 'auntie' or I'll straight-up drop a 'tutu'. Once they know what it means, they love it!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
Though I am not from Hawai'i, I spent 18 years of my childhood between Alaska and Hawai'i and can bring something to this thread maybe. Some of these are definitely idiosyncratic to me, but here we go:

I still use the terms "oceanside" or "landside" (sort of like mauka and makai), but living in South Florida that worked perfectly as well. Not so much in Idaho or Minneapolis.

I use the word 'one' as the indefinite article 'a', as in "I know one guy that likes to do that" instead of "I know a guy who likes to do that". I'm not saying literally that I only know one guy that likes do that, just in an indefinite, general sense. Now, Standard English syntax allows me to do this, but this most definitely comes from "ekahi/kahi" structure for me.

I dunno if anyone remembers one of the guys running for office in Honolulu a while back that had those radio ads that said "be akamai, stay in school!" - I still say "be akamai" to my mainland friends, and then quickly have to explain it.

When I moved to the mainland, I heard lots of jokes about Southern People and Polish (as the standard "know-nothings"), whereas I grew up learning those same jokes about Portuguese

I still ask for Saimin instead of Ramen. I know there are some subtle differences now, as an adult, but I still can't break that habit.

Shoyu NOT Soy Sauce. Again, subtle differences, but cannot break that one either!

When I first moved, I asked at restaurants what starches they have and they would look at me funny. Even at UH, you still see a separate starch menu.

I requested my local yogurt place to get Taro flavor (WHICH THEY DID AND IT WAS FREAKING AMAZING WITH MOCHI ON IT)

Even though you know Malasadas and Filled Doughnuts are basically the same thing, they still taste different

I felt so alone when the 7-11 on the mainland didn't sell Li-Hing everything.. I missed those rainbow licorices covered in sweet, sweet li-hing powder!

Speaking of 7-11, when I moved to the mainland, I was surprised to see you couldn't cater parties there.

I still say "pu-pus" instead of 'pu-pu platters" (abbreviate the noun and then pluralize just the abbreviation).

I refer to the older females I work with, and who I respect deeply, as 'auntie' or I'll straight-up drop a 'tutu'. Once they know what it means, they love it!
lol Mahalo Ya i miss Li-Hing too.

This is just my opinion and im prob going to get beef and stinkeye from this but sometimes its more important to love the culture, know the lang and love the aina and have aloha in your heart then living in Hawai'i for years and act, think haole. Its like my native american tribe, they argue who has more blood etc like that makes them better to be full blooded? But you look at how they live there lives and they are more haole then most.While the native culture and lang is dying. Racism and Segergation is killing us. My opinion.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM

You know ur from Hawaii'i living in the mainland when you walk up to a stranger to get to know someone new and say "Hey Aloha brah where u from and who u know?" And they look at you like your going to mug them or you want to beef! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii