Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times

Advertisements

Look, you're not going to find the Parthenon in Hawaii, and, if you want architecture to death, visit the Hearst mansion. In Hawaii, I don't think 'striking' architectural detail is all that important. Having built 100s of houses over here, the most important aspect of a true Hawaiian home is the people living inside the structure, and not so much the structure itself. A carport, with a lua, a BBQ, picnic table, and perhaps a fridge, and all is well. Your question just seems so 'mainland'.

Alooha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
You are a builder. Now I get it. Nothing personal.

My question was too "mainland?" "Mainlanders" usually come here asking questions. Some are frightened by the rumor of xenophobia in Hawai'i. Your reply does nothing to relieve them of that fear.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
*picturing other places I've lived*

I think CT has some awesome stuff - #2 in the nation.

My work is facilities. I assess structural condition on the most historical structures at Pearl Harbor. I love architecture but am not an expert. It tells a story and it's rare that I see a building and say "UGH! What were they thinking??" In Hawaii you can see so many influences - it's truly a melting pot with distinct Asian flavor.

The red "brick" roof tiles aren't really brick. No sense killing folks in a hurricane. But they allow air circulation and are attractive imo. Concrete spalling is so common due to climate - there's really a challenge to construction. On the other hand I've seen some amazing homes! Of course they might be right next to plantation houses, which are traditionally constructed of salvaged material and are cool, too. It all kind of reminds me of "beach house" architecture. And why not?

btw, the "McMansions" don't even qualify as mansions in my book. I think, by "rich folks standards" the wealthy probably wouldn't be caught dead in one of those developments. Not the old money! Just my opinion.

(nightly you gotta get over yourself. Jung was being polite. That's your future neighbor...)

Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You are a builder. Now I get it.
You don't 'get it'. You're trying to impose mainland values onto Hawaii. Nothing to do with being xenophobic. And Hawaii has some wonderful 'older' style architecture. Royal Hawaiian, Moana Hotel, Iolani Palace, any number of older churches on all the Islands. The whole idea behind 'tract' housing is to keep costs down, and you can't do that by building 100 different model homes on 100 lots.

And I am trying to be polite

Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I like the look of the plantation worker's shacks and consider that to be Hawaiian architecture.

The huge covered porches, the house raised up on piers, the steep roof, all the windows, the outdoor living space. Good stuff, that, and very Hawaiian in character.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You don't 'get it'. You're trying to impose mainland values onto Hawaii. Nothing to do with being xenophobic. And Hawaii has some wonderful 'older' style architecture. Royal Hawaiian, Moana Hotel, Iolani Palace, any number of older churches on all the Islands. The whole idea behind 'tract' housing is to keep costs down, and you can't do that by building 100 different model homes on 100 lots.

And I am trying to be polite
and doing a fine good job at it...
Koale

Old 06-29-2013, 02:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You don't 'get it'. You're trying to impose mainland values onto Hawaii.
Not so. I was trying to understand why newer houses (even custom-built one off houses) in Hawai'i look just like tract houses everywhere else, and wondered why Hawaiian houses don't seem to reflect whatever "Hawaiian values" are, if they are indeed so different than "mainland values."

Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 PM

First, you're way over generalizing. Secondly, I doubt if you have spent enough time here to even form a slightly adequate grasp of what housing/architecture is all about in Hawaii. Thirdly, you posed your question as if it was a foregone conclusion that architecture, overall, in Hawaii, is indeed 'bland', which it isn't, or at least not anymore so than anywhere on the mainland.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Quote:
"Bogus" is a bit harsh. Yes, it's not a standard thread, and I 'get' that some people are just not that interested in architecture. However, I do think that the architecture of Hawaii is worth commenting upon and studying. The U of H thinks so as well, apparently.

University of Hawaii, Manoa
School of Architecture

ARCH 577 History of Hawaiian Architecture (3) Investigation of social, cultural, political, climactic, and technological factors influencing the historical development of architecture in Hawai'i. ARCH majors only. A-F only.ARCH 515
No. The topic of your thread, at the top of every page of it, is "why is Hawaiian architecture so bland?" That is a bogus loaded question designed to get a rise out of people--also called trolling.

UH does not call HI architecture bland, and don't assume people aren't interested in architecture, just because they think of it differently than you.

Quote:
"Mainlanders" usually come here asking questions.
So, as a mainlander, you think that asking "why is Hawaiian architecture so bland" is a valid way to start a nice conversation with Hawaii residents? Hey, nightlysparrow, why are mainlanders from your town so inconsiderate?

Quote:
I was trying to understand why newer houses (even custom-built one off houses) in Hawai'i look just like tract houses everywhere else, and wondered why Hawaiian houses don't seem to reflect whatever "Hawaiian values" are, if they are indeed so different than "mainland values."
All these conclusions from 2 MLS listings? As been said, you're making generalizations, and you don't know what you're talking about. You would've been much better off asking questions like: what features in new homes are unique to Hawaii, how easy is it to find them in new projects, and how much do they add to the cost?

Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
So, as a mainlander, you think that asking "why is Hawaiian architecture so bland" is a valid way to start a nice conversation with Hawaii residents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii