Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I always kinda thought folks wanted to move to Hawaii because of listening to the Hawaii Visitors Bureau, watching too much Hawaii 5-0 or the climate. Either that or some passionate requirement for fresh pineapple, but according to these folks there's more reasons than those to want to move to Hawaii:

[URL="http://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-s-top-states-for-quality-of-life--take-a-bow-152236551.html"]America's Top States for Quality of Life: Take a Bow - Yahoo! Finance[/URL]

We're right up there with Vermont, Minnesota and Nebraska.
To me, just about the only reason to move to Hawaii is for the Ocean (diving, sport fishing, shell collecting).

As I noted in an earlier post, moving to Hawaii,, to flee from something else is probably NOT a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I got a job offer that enabled me to advance. Now that I've established the advancement, I can go back.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
I originally wanted to move to Hawaii to get away from the likes of Jeffington/RR. Seemed like the ideal plan for a while, then, alas, the internet comes about, and the idiots can follow you EVERYWHERE!!! So, I gave up, and now live happily in Alviso, California, dreading the next plus tide......

Some day I may live on Maui, rumor has it that it used to be quite nice

Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
To me, just about the only reason to move to Hawaii is for the Ocean (diving, sport fishing, shell collecting).

As I noted in an earlier post, moving to Hawaii,, to flee from something else is probably NOT a good idea.
I agree that fleeing something isn't a good reason to move to Hawaii -- or anywhere. But there's more than just the ocean. Some of us really connect with the culture. It's definitely not for everyone. My best friend really connects with the culture of NYC. He was born there, and it's the only city in the US that has enough diversity and excitement to keep him happy. While I love NYC, I wouldn't want to live there -- it's too much for me. I've been fascinated by Hawaii since I was 12, I married a Hawaiian woman, I've been there many times, and I fit in with my wife's family and friends. So, for me, that's a huge part of "quality of life." As I've said many times on this forum, though, I'm not willing to be poor in Hawaii, or work three jobs just to get by.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I agree that fleeing something isn't a good reason to move to Hawaii -- or anywhere. But there's more than just the ocean. Some of us really connect with the culture. It's definitely not for everyone. My best friend really connects with the culture of NYC. He was born there, and it's the only city in the US that has enough diversity and excitement to keep him happy. While I love NYC, I wouldn't want to live there -- it's too much for me. I've been fascinated by Hawaii since I was 12, I married a Hawaiian woman, I've been there many times, and I fit in with my wife's family and friends. So, for me, that's a huge part of "quality of life." As I've said many times on this forum, though, I'm not willing to be poor in Hawaii, or work three jobs just to get by.
I agree, but for me, its the Ocean.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Hard to beat the ocean... the bluer the better...

Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Weather, gardening, lifestyle

Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
For me it's the warm ocean and beautiful mountain combo. For my wife it is the warm weather.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 PM

219 posts, read 497,368 times
I moved because of the climate, the culture, and for work. My home state didn't have a job for me but someone at Teacher Recruitment was on the ball and talked me into an intake interview. What's sad is although Hawaii certainly doesn't pay top dollar for teachers they still pay better than where I moved from and I have never felt more a part of the community than I do here.

My husband has chronic health issues that respond well to this environment so we've gone from weekly+ doctor's visits to once a month. That was a contributing factor to the move too.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Is there a reoccurring thread here that the folks who move to Hawaii and don't try to make it like where they came from seem happiest?

One of the nicest things about Hawaii for me is that the garden doesn't die each year. Plus the folks that run around with smiles on their faces all day long. We just got back from a mainland vacation and the folks over there seem very grim although I'm sure they aren't as unhappy as their faces seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii