Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Yeah, I know that. But Suzie is a LSCW and there is a shortage of people with that credential all over the country. As you can see with the advertisements on USAJobs, they just want social workers with a clinical license to apply regardless of the applicant's current location. The government is cheap, so to see a relocation package being offered is a sign that they are desperate. She is not a dime a dozen like many of us are, so she's in a different place in term of being able to get a job before actually living here. That's a huge reason why I am on the clinical track. It's much easier to get a well paying job in a desirable location.

Aloha, Thank you so much for your posts! I'm a clinical social worker, looking at moving to Hawaii. My situation is a bit different because my spouse is Hawaiian and wants to move back home. We both have advanced skills, are aware of the realities of making the move, and have much respect for the islands.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I appreciated you taking the time to post and it was helpful to hear about the possible relocation opportunities. Mahalo nui loa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 AM

163 posts, read 269,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestitch View Post
Aloha, Thank you so much for your posts! I'm a clinical social worker, looking at moving to Hawaii. My situation is a bit different because my spouse is Hawaiian and wants to move back home. We both have advanced skills, are aware of the realities of making the move, and have much respect for the islands.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I appreciated you taking the time to post and it was helpful to hear about the possible relocation opportunities. Mahalo nui loa.
Anytime, Sis. I love helping people in my future profession. PM me if you need anything.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
I think a lot of locals live on the 67K per year because they bought their houses when they were young, and before the prices got so high. Equity is a beautiful thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
And the rest of the locals live on 67K per year because their parents bought their houses when they were young and the kids never moved out. Two, three generations living in one house is quite common or the parents leave the house to the kids. Or a group of folks hui together to pay the rent.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:40 AM

431 posts, read 941,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
And the rest of the locals live on 67K per year because their parents bought their houses when they were young and the kids never moved out. Two, three generations living in one house is quite common or the parents leave the house to the kids. Or a group of folks hui together to pay the rent.
It is amazing how many of the younger people I work with live in houses/condos that were purchased for them by their parents.
Several (really!) have lived in condos purchased by their parents, decided that they didn't like the condos, and returned home. They now rent out those condos, collecting the rent as income.
Living at home, Mom does their laundry and even MAKES THEIR LUNCH.
Eeesh.
But it works for them. So weep not for the "poor local who is working three jobs to make ends meet."
IME, it's the transplant who is sweating to pay the bills.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,823,510 times
Same is happening here on the mainland. I know many that are in their 40's, have good jobs and are still living with their parents. I even know two successful married couples that are both living with their parents! I am not judging, if that works for them, so be it. I just don't understand it and know that it wouldn't work in my family. Honestly, I am kinda jealous that these families have the kind of relationship where that can work and they can be so close.
I think I will watch an episode of The Waltons now.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Locally, a lot of that is due to the strong Asian influence and high cost of living. It's very common to have an extended family in one household.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM

28 posts, read 46,019 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know that. But Suzie is a LSCW and there is a shortage of people with that credential all over the country. As you can see with the advertisements on USAJobs, they just want social workers with a clinical license to apply regardless of the applicant's current location. The government is cheap, so to see a relocation package being offered is a sign that they are desperate. She is not a dime a dozen like many of us are, so she's in a different place in term of being able to get a job before actually living here. That's a huge reason why I am on the clinical track. It's much easier to get a well paying job in a desirable location.
Thanks for the info. I recently have started looking at fed. jobs and looked up for HI, but none listed right now. You also have to take into consideration that the fed. has a hierarchy in their candidate preferences besides credentials. It's something like active service including national guard, vets., spouses/widows of active service, spouses/widows of vets., current fed. employees, displaced fed. employees, then experience working with military/vets., and so on.

I will keep my options open, including alternative states. I'm a firm believer if its meant to be it'll happen. Not that it means I passively go through life. I look for opportunities and take the initiative to look into and/or apply where interested.

I also have to absolutely take into consideration that I have two dogs (one large breed over the weight restrictions of condos and apartments and one small breed). The owners don't want to take a chance on large breeds, due to fear of damage to their floors or possible aggression. I can't and won't give up, kennel or even quarantine my dogs, because they won't understand that they aren't being abandoned. I love my dogs like my children and won't do that to them. Besides I'd also be distraught myself worrying @ them and missing them. I don't have anyone who could take them for extended periods of time either, but wouldn't feel right about doing that anyway. So, the options for housing are greatly reduced and restricted because of this. I have seen only a few places willing to rent without weight or breed restrictions and the rent is at least $2100/month. Then factor in electricity, water, waste removal, etc.

I was also told that the farmers markets in Hawaii dont necessarily have organic fruits and veggies. Someone said because of the tropical climate, they use more. This concerns me because I need easy and affordable access to organic fruits and veggies. I have strong personal and professional beliefs about how the tremendous amount of pesticides and chemicals on our foods sources, as well as our health and beauty aids effect our overall health (physical, mental, and emotional). Do you happen to know if there is affordable multiple/easy access to organic fruits and veggies around?

Thank you for being so helpful. I love to hear of current and future social workers spreading good support! Mahalo!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 AM

163 posts, read 269,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzieq_p View Post
Thanks for the info. I recently have started looking at fed. jobs and looked up for HI, but none listed right now. You also have to take into consideration that the fed. has a hierarchy in their candidate preferences besides credentials. It's something like active service including national guard, vets., spouses/widows of active service, spouses/widows of vets., current fed. employees, displaced fed. employees, then experience working with military/vets., and so on.

Do you happen to know if there is affordable multiple/easy access to organic fruits and veggies around?
Just keep in mind that government preference cannot override everything. In your case, the only other LCSW that can outrank you is another LCSW who also has a hiring preference. I'm disabled, and I do get a small amount of preference, but I cannot use my disability in place of education and/or credentials. It's the same for vets. You won't be competing for jobs the way that folks who are applying to be office automatons, secretaries, or cashiers in the commissary are. Your competition will be other LCSW's that may or may not receive preference.

As far as organic, I pretty much hang out at "Down to Earth" here in Honolulu. I love it there. I don't "need" to have organic food, but I prefer it if I can get it. I also go there for a lot of my supplements. If you want an idea of their prices, just click the "Flyer Deals" on their page.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 PM

28 posts, read 46,019 times
Quote:
Just keep in mind that government preference cannot override everything. In your case, the only other LCSW that can outrank you is another LCSW who also has a hiring preference. I'm disabled, and I do get a small amount of preference, but I cannot use my disability in place of education and/or credentials. It's the same for vets. You won't be competing for jobs the way that folks who are applying to be office automatons, secretaries, or cashiers in the commissary are. Your competition will be other LCSW's that may or may not receive preference.

As far as organic, I pretty much hang out at "Down to Earth" here in Honolulu. I love it there. I don't "need" to have organic food, but I prefer it if I can get it. I also go there for a lot of my supplements. If you want an idea of their prices, just click the "Flyer Deals" on their page.

Thanks for the feedback. I did previously apply for one job in another state that was right up my alley with experience, but despite my credentials and specified experience of many years in various settings doing what they were looking for, I still wasn't top of the list of candidates and was put aside. surprising for me, because I'm not used to being set aside in a job pool. however, there's a first for everything. That definitely denoted at least of several other candidates who had higher preferential status than myself.
There's a lot of LCSWs on the mainland, but definitely understand if there's a lot less in HI. My current job had at least 200 applicants when it was posted, and it only posted online (as legally required) for 5days max. I also live on an island just outside of NYC, but it isn't as isolated as HI.
Thank you for the organic info. I looked up the Down to Earth website and saw they have a number of locations on Oahu, which maybe accessed. I'll keep my eyes out for additional stores. I believe you guys have Costco out there too, right? I know they also keep some organic produce and fruits in stock. Definitely worth considering. Thank you again. Good luck in pursuit of your studies! Soak up as much in your direct practice experiences as you can, you'll learn the most through experience.
Quick question, if you don't mind. Is your fam. local or nature HI, or did you just decide to go to school there?
When I visited HI, the people were very friendly with me. I'm an Asian mix and look "Hawaiian," so I'm sure that helped. Also, I heard that cars are constantly being broken into if you park at beaches or local parks. Is this true? If it is, how do locals protect themselves or avoid this?
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii