Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:49 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times

Advertisements

The Fad's in remodeling and building..Glad to see stainless on the out as when it was in felt like people where being duped
out of their money...but when something is in the Jones gotta keep up with Jones...

White and black are cool and like the apple white too. A hospital is right, more like the morgue! LOL..

They all provide the same function...why pay 1000 more for an appliance because of the color, especially if your a an average median income buyer

And have being in construction my entire life and seeing these fads come and go...Glad to see this one on the way OUT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:10 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If it is for your own house, buy the color that you like the best. Or at least the color that the cook in the family likes the best.

Personally, I don't like cooking in a dark kitchen, which means I like light colors that reflect the light well and make the room seem lighter and brighter. I'd rather not be running 700 watts of electric lights just to see what I've got in the frying pan, so for me, big windows, light colored wood, light colored counters, and white appliances.

If you are actually building, have the contractor put a nice skylight or two into the kitchen. It's a work center; it needs good light.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM

404 posts, read 1,244,749 times
Black shows every single fingerprint, no matter how many times I polish the darn thing, it looks "smudgy." White for me means less maintenance, a simple, fresh and clean look and, if necessary to touch up scratches, appliance paint is easy to match. Just say no to stainless steel unless you suffer from Cinderella Syndrome.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
If your appliances do eventually rust, I would think that black ones would look much better than white ones. Also, depending on the area you are living, the red dirt dust blowing in your windows might be a pain with white appliances.
Here is a picture of a white refrigerator in a house that is currently for sale in Hawaii. This is why I am thinking that maybe black would look better longer.

Best color for new kitchen appliances?-picture-uh-9f45a9d7286a98136ec1e851e183cad1-ps-d2a1ecf76c4bb751ab6eadf9bacf83.jpg

Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
As the fashion wheel inexorably turns once again, the new designer color of choice for appliances is white. White like an iPhone.

And to answer the OP's original question, salt spray residue on white is less obtrusive than it is on black. I was in a house recently that had a mix of stainless, black, and white finishes on the appliances, with an active 11 year old boy in the house, and white was by far the lowest maintenance of the finishes.

Avoid abrasive cleaners, and use a good polish on your appliances. It's your best protection against rust.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And to answer the OP's original question, salt spray residue on white is less obtrusive than it is on black.
If you have salt spray residue on ANYTHING in your house in Hawaii, appliance color/finish is going to be the least of your worries...

'Honey, did you put the PFD on the Whirlpool, it's going to be a plus tide this morning?'

uuurrrrpppp.......... Harvest Gold is overdue for a comeback, I'm counting on it

Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM

480 posts, read 622,995 times
A lot of good advice and suggestions. Maybe a rust or red dirt color earth tone vs harvest gold? Thanks for your input.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
I remember a copper color for appliances at one time, LOL that might work with the red dirt dust and salt air.

Marine wax, what a good idea KonaKat! I just use Pledge. Though I have used marine polycoat on an end table I refinished. That has held up great.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Hmm everything old is new again :/

Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Wow. That's a kewl looking copper stove! Betcha it would be a PITA to keep it looking that way, but it would almost be worth it because it looks so kewl. My youngest brother had a Chambers stove just like that one, except it was white.

For appliances, the easiest to keep up is white. Buy one that is new, take the panels off and spray the inside of the metal with Ospho and then some DeRusto paint of whatever color is on sale. On the outside of the appliance, wax it with car wax a couple of times. Then install the appliance and wax it periodically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii