Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 AM

170 posts, read 292,742 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to HI next week. I have 1.5 years til my CA drivers license expires. I'm debating if I should just get a HI ID or drivers license. I'll still be going back to the Bay Area at least 4x a year for work. I still own my home in CA but it will be rented out. I have 1.5 years to study for my driving test. LMK your thoughts. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
If you are going to go thru all the trouble to get all the documents together for an ID or License, you might as well get the license, it is an easy test.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Having a Hawaiian Driver's License opens up the world of kama'aina discounts which some businesses offer to residents with local ID. Depending on your personal lifestyle that might not be important, or it could be a nice perk.

These discounts are offered by a lot of tourist attractions as a way of attracting repeat business from locals. So attractions like whale watch cruises often have them. And some shops do too, such as Hilo Hatties, where kama'aina get 20% off on Aloha shirts. Also some hotels, car rentals, tours.

Besides, there's the coolness factor. They are really cool looking, with a big rainbow, and little see-through windows in the shape of the islands. No matter where I travel, if I have to show an ID my Hawai'i drivers license always evokes a smile and usually a friendly comment.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you are going to go thru all the trouble to get all the documents together for an ID or License, you might as well get the license, it is an easy test.
Good point! I think I'll just take the test now.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Having a Hawaiian Driver's License opens up the world of kama'aina discounts which some businesses offer to residents with local ID. Depending on your personal lifestyle that might not be important, or it could be a nice perk.

These discounts are offered by a lot of tourist attractions as a way of attracting repeat business from locals. So attractions like whale watch cruises often have them. And some shops do too, such as Hilo Hatties, where kama'aina get 20% off on Aloha shirts. Also some hotels, car rentals, tours.

Besides, there's the coolness factor. They are really cool looking, with a big rainbow, and little see-through windows in the shape of the islands. No matter where I travel, if I have to show an ID my Hawai'i drivers license always evokes a smile and usually a friendly comment.
Can't you get kama'aina discount with a HI ID?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruddah View Post
Can't you get kama'aina discount with a HI ID?
Dunno. Never tried it. Just went straight for the license when I moved.

One thing to check carefully is that you have ALL the required documents. See the website. Lots of people seem to be getting tripped up by the new Legal Presence law and don't bring proof that they are citizens or have current legal visas, so they get declined.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Yes, you get the same local discounts with a Hawaii ID card versus a Hawaii Drivers License. Assuming you pass the test, the license is somewhat easier to get as you don't have to prove Hawaii residency like you do with only the ID card.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,582,014 times
Just might want to work on your pidgen a little before you take the driving test....

'Okeydokes. Now, at the next light, turn makai'

'Excuse me. What did you say?'

"At da nex light, turn makai'

'I'm sorry... I didn't quite understand just exactly what you said. Could you repeat it?'

'AT DA NEX LIGHT,,, HULI MAKAI!!!! WAATTTTT??? YOU DEF EAH!!!!!!!!!!?"

Hope this helps

Old 09-17-2013, 05:56 PM

749 posts, read 854,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Just might want to work on your pidgen a little before you take the driving test....

'Okeydokes. Now, at the next light, turn makai'

'Excuse me. What did you say?'

"At da nex light, turn makai'

'I'm sorry... I didn't quite understand just exactly what you said. Could you repeat it?'

'AT DA NEX LIGHT,,, HULI MAKAI!!!! WAATTTTT??? YOU DEF EAH!!!!!!!!!!?"

Hope this helps

Good point! Get the ID it's cheaper, easier & gets you all the same discounts, wait & get the drivers lic when you have to or when you just feel like donating $50 (last I checked) to the great state of HI.

The ID has the see thru cut out islands but no rainbow just the state flag so it's, let's see, about 92.3% as 'cool' as the lic.

Last edited by tdr22; 09-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: to add more snark

Old 09-18-2013, 02:53 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,582,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Good point! Get the ID it's cheaper, easier & gets you all the same discounts, wait & get the drivers lic when you have to or when you just feel like donating $50 (last I checked) to the great state of HI.

The ID has the see thru cut out islands but no rainbow just the state flag so it's, let's see, about 92.3% as 'cool' as the lic.
Actually, what I posted was meant as a joke. Must be losing my touch. No one working for the DMV would converse in pidgen, unless, of course, they knew you personally.

Did like the 'to add more snark' though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii