Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

I personally know a few people that are making that giant leap, and for reasons of work or school – and lifestyle – have decided to live in Hawaii. Since many people come and go, some with relative ease and others with personal frustration, my hope with this thread is to give both practical tips on movingand etiquette of living in Hawai'i. Hoping to be helpful.

1. Hawai'i's understated way of social interaction is a mix of culture, race and history and is characterized by soft, humble, indirect communication and a respect for others’ accomplishments.

Because of the various cultures that obviously contributed these social behaviors onto our culture today,Most all have learned to adapt and incorporated them into daily life. The humbleness, Mostly an Asian influence as well as a Hawaiian one. Maybe if people were mindful of these cultural differences, they really wouldn’t have such a hard time fitting in, or be so disliked? It all comes down to adaptation.

More to come. And good luck Aloha

Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 AM

136 posts, read 330,016 times
I totally agree. Growing up in Hawaii, I was appalled at times at how arrogant a lot of people were when I attended college in California. Generally speaking, Asians in California were not as arrogant, so I definitely think it is due to cultural differences.

I noticed that if someone in California accomplished something such as getting a perfect 4.0 GPA, they usually thought it was fine to tell a big group of friends or post about it on their Facebook status. They were simply proud of their accomplishment and wanted others to know.

In Hawaii, while it would be fine to tell family and a few close friends, making an almost public announcement is completely inappropriate. It's like standing up in a crowded room and announcing "Hey everyone! Look at what I did! I'm the greatest!! And surely most of you didn't do what I did. So I'm pretty much better than you. So come on, congratulate me!! I deserve it!!" People in Hawaii would consider you to be an arrogant, stuck up, loser who probably has low self-esteem and is desperate to get people to notice you.

Basically don't have an ego, don't be selfish, and don't act like you're better than others. Although I noticed people in Hawaii can be more passive-aggressive, which leads to its own problems.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM

@Jonny08,

Mahalo for your well written post. Aloha and welcome to C.D.F.

I have to agree with you. Further, because the islands are so small and its a given that someone will know someone who knows you or your ohana, friends etc. No one has to worry about being recognised for there acomplishments on Hawai'i especially if you have aunties lol. Accomplishments are a reason to throw a party or get together.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Aloha

2) Hawaii is all about developing relationships. Regardless of your qualifications, people aren’t likely to work with you until they have established a relationship with you.

This once again goes back to culture. Emphasis is put on family(ohana) and becoming a part of that family, the community is also very important. This is how relationships are established, through familial connections.

Further expect Aloha, but don't expect immediate closeness, Hawai'i is a tough place to survive and locals are used to people leaving. So intel newcomers can show they will stay for longterm, don't generally expect this trend to change. Nothing personal, and yes there are exceptions to this rule.

If your kamaaina? or just want to share some tips please feel free too. Aloha

Old 10-06-2013, 09:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
I'm not sure why people think there is some unique culture culture in Hawaii - maybe 20+ years ago, but certainly not in modern times. It is odd people think things are so different in Hawaii in the 2010's

Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm not sure why people think there is some unique culture culture in Hawaii - maybe 20+ years ago, but certainly not in modern times. It is odd people think things are so different in Hawaii in the 2010's
I appreciate your opinion, and maybe that is true for oahu or corporate america? I have no doubt this is your reality. But with reality it based on peoples experiences. And im sure we could get a bunch of people to say it is different then the Mainland. Your welcome to come back to this thread an see what others experiences and realities are. Mahalo, Aloha.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Yesterday evening just about an hour before sunset, we were taking a walk through Na'alehu on the mauka side of the highway and got to see a bunch of people standing around enjoying live rooster (it won't let me say the other word that is commonly used) fighting right out in the front yard of someone's house.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Yesterday evening just about an hour before sunset, we were taking a walk through Na'alehu on the mauka side of the highway and got to see a bunch of people standing around enjoying live rooster (it won't let me say the other word that is commonly used) fighting right out in the front yard of someone's house.
That is hardly unique to Hawaii - unfortunately.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
That is hardly unique to Hawaii - unfortunately.
Really?

Where else would you see that happening in town, in someone's front yard?

Is cockfighting legal in Hawaii?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Really?

Where else would you see that happening in town, in someone's front yard?

Is cockfighting legal in Hawaii?
cockfighting is illegal in all 50 states - drive around the southern US, no need to go all the way to Hawaii to experience it - you see it a lot on Lanai also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii