Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,598,458 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Hawaii with my best friend. I want to do something either at the airport or on the airplane that will set it off with a bang. I was thinking of buying party favors locally and taking snacks that are known as Hawaiian.
I am not good at surprises.
Can someone offer ideas that will be fun and surprising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
The first thing to do is to give your thread a more descriptive title. People shouldn't have to open the thread to find out what it is all about.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 PM

32,741 posts, read 48,376,508 times
Do I understand? You want a celebration on the airplane as you are flying to Hawaii?

Don't take anything that won't make it through the TSA screening. Also, be mindful of annoying the other passengers. Flying can be stressful and some people are grumpy from the stress and crowding.

Perhaps it is possible to get someone to greet you at the airport as you arrive in Hawaii with a lei for you and your friend? That's a good way to start a Hawaiian vacation. Or arrange to have a lei waiting at your hotel room?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:36 PM

Wait, you can buy Hawaiian print shirts for relatively cheap. Maybe get a couple of those and present them at the airport, so you can both change into Hawaiian shirts for the flight?

My experience is that flowered shirts are not so cheap in Hawaii, but can be ordered on-line while you are on the mainland and some places have them pretty inexpensive. Low price will probably be lower quality, but it is just for a party, not a permanent addition to the wardrobe.

Maybe TSA would let you take some fresh pineapple spears through screening. I have my doubts about cans of pineapple juice. Or put your flowered shirts on and go to the bar and order Mai Tais or some sort of rum drink.

Places like Michaels sell cheap tissue paper leis. Not very Hawaiian, but nicely symbolic.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,106,560 times
Fly on Hawaiian Airlines. This for me makes the trip very enjoyable, as when you get on the plane, you are pretty much here.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,427,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Fly on Hawaiian Airlines. This for me makes the trip very enjoyable, as when you get on the plane, you are pretty much here.
I wouldn't count on that! LOL Now, Aloha Airlines when they were flying, had great service. And cookies near the end of your flight !!

For the OP I believe you can order a concierge type of service from many of the hotels, to be greeted at the airport with lei and then driven to your hotel. See if your hotel offers that.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
If you are flying Hawaiian Airlines - you can get a lei greeting for as little as $15

https://www.hawaiitoursales.com/halhnlmg.aspx

Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Oh, matching aloha wear for on the plane! Start as soon as you get to the airport and aren't even on the plane yet. Then have a greeter at the Hawaii airport bring you lei when you land. Then off to the hotel bar for some maitais.

Hawaiian snacks would be things like lee hing mui crackseed or Spam musubi. Probably hard to find on the mainland. Perhaps some dried pineapple slices? TSA would let you take them on the plane. Macadamia nuts, too. Dried tropical fruit mix snacks might be "Hawaiianish".

Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,598,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Oh, matching aloha wear for on the plane! Start as soon as you get to the airport and aren't even on the plane yet. Then have a greeter at the Hawaii airport bring you lei when you land. Then off to the hotel bar for some maitais.

Hawaiian snacks would be things like lee hing mui crackseed or Spam musubi. Probably hard to find on the mainland. Perhaps some dried pineapple slices? TSA would let you take them on the plane. Macadamia nuts, too. Dried tropical fruit mix snacks might be "Hawaiianish".

What wonderful suggestions. Thank you all. Purchased the Lei greeting just now and will put everything else together. Will not be loud or nasty on the plane as we are both quiet but I will get the snacks. Thank you everyone, you put a smile on my face.

I have it now- thanks for the help.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 AM

Enjoy your trip. It sounds like you are a person who enjoys life and I predict that you will love your trip to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii