Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,534,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There are several features of Hawaiian culture at New Years that are distinctly different from anywhere else in the country that I'm aware of.

One is a very strong tradition, especially among Hawaiians of Japanese descent, to eat ahi tuna at New Years.
C'mon now! Hawaiians of Japanese descent? Do you realize in the state of Hawaii, not every resident is considered Hawaiian? In Hawaii, Hawaiians are those with Hawaiian blood, such as myself. BTW, I'm also Japanese. If I wasn't Hawaiian, I would simply be a local man of Japanese descent.

Last edited by kaimuki; 01-05-2014 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
C'mon now! Hawaiians of Japanese descent? Do you realize in the state of Hawaii, not every resident is considered Hawaiian? In Hawaii, Hawaiians are those with Hawaiian blood, such as myself. BTW, I'm also Japanese. If I wasn't Hawaiian, I would simply be a local man of Japanese descent.
Hmm I have always believed that those with Hawai'ian blood were called kanaka ʻoiwi, kanaka maoli, and Hawaiʻi maoli? And if your from Hawaii outside of Hawaii your Hawai'ian, but in Hawai'i your local? Or are you just fooling around?

Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hmm I have always believed that those with Hawai'ian blood were called kanaka ʻoiwi, kanaka maoli, and Hawaiʻi maoli? And if your from Hawaii outside of Hawaii your Hawai'ian, but in Hawai'i your local? Or are you just fooling around?

I have NEVER heard of someone being called a Hawaiian of Japanese descent unless they have some Hawaiian blood. A local Japanese without Hawaiian blood is not a Hawaiian. The same applies to the following:

Hawaiians of Korean descent
Hawaiians of Filipino descent
Hawaiians of Irish descent
Hawaiians of Micronesian descent

To be Hawaiian, you must have Hawaiian blood. Being from Hawaii or living in Hawaii doesn't necessarily make you Hawaiian.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM

351 posts, read 589,214 times
Default I agree with Kaimuki

Quote:
I have NEVER heard of someone being called a Hawaiian of Japanese descent unless they have some Hawaiian blood. A local Japanese without Hawaiian blood is not a Hawaiian. The same applies to the following:

Hawaiians of Korean descent
Hawaiians of Filipino descent
Hawaiians of Irish descent
Hawaiians of Micronesian descent

To be Hawaiian, you must have Hawaiian blood. Being from Hawaii or living in Hawaii doesn't necessarily make you Hawaiian.
I totally agree with Kaimuki! To us locals, Hawaiians means people who are ethically full or part native Hawaiian of Polynesian descent.

People from the mainland often refer to anyone from Hawaii as Hawaiians which is incorrect. Families who have been in Hawaii for generations without native Hawaiian blood are most often referred to as locals.

Similar to Kaimuki, I'm part Hawaiian, the rest being Chinese American.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
In Hawaii, Hawaiians are those with Hawaiian blood, such as myself.
Sorry, you may use the word any way you wish, but the accepted definition of "Hawaiian" that the majority understand is: a native or inhabitant of Hawai'i, and that was the sense I used the word in. Hawaiians are people who live in Hawai'i. See any dictionary.

The accepted term that is used to designate people of kanaka maoli blood heritage, as referred to by the State and Federal governments, and by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, is Native Hawaiian.

I was not excluding Native Hawaiians from my discussion about New Years customs, so feel free to contribute anything about how they celebrate the New Year, if they do. What I was interested in was the ways in which Hawaiians of various heritages celebrate the holiday differently than, say, Texans or Floridians or Californians.

Since your political views on restoring the Hawaiian Monarchy and Separatism are already extremely well known here, I do hope you won't try to hijack this thread with your rhetoric on all that. This isn't the place for it. I'm just interested in what different Hawaiians do for the holidays, like eating ahi tuna and setting off firecrackers.

Last edited by OpenD; 01-05-2014 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you may use the word your own way, but the accepted definition of "Hawaiian" that the majority understand is: a native or inhabitant of Hawai'i, and that was the sense I used the word in. Hawaiians are people who live in Hawai'i. See any dictionary.

The accepted term that is used to designate people of kanaka maoli blood heritage, as referred to by the State and Federal governments, and by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, is Native Hawaiian.

I was not excluding Native Hawaiians from my discussion about New Years customs, so feel free to contribute anything about how they celebrate the New Year, if they do. What I was interested in was the ways in which various Hawaiians celebrate the holiday differently than, say, Texans or Floridians or Californians.

Since your political views on restoring the Hawaiian Monarchy are already extremely well known here, I do hope you won't try to hijack this thread with your rhetoric on all that. This isn't the place for it. I'm just interested in what different Hawaiians do for the holidays, like eating ahi tuna and setting off firecrackers.

Dictionary or not, the vast majority of locals (including Hawaiians) consider "Hawaiians" to be those with Hawaiian blood. The use of the word Hawaiian is not used in the same way as a Californian, Floridian, or a Texan. Do you consider yourself a Hawaiian of some White ethnicity? I hope not!

Various Hawaiians? Different Hawaiians? C'mon! Hahaha

I challenge you to find ONE post about my well know views on restoring the Hawaiian Monarchy. I explicitly stated I don't have a strong opinion on the topic.

Last edited by kaimuki; 01-05-2014 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
Dictionary or not, the vast majority of locals (including Hawaiians) consider "Hawaiians" to be those with Hawaiian blood.
Perhaps, but the "vast majority of locals" is in the minority, and doesn't really impact how the rest of the world uses the word. I know 5th generation Hawaiians of Japanese heritage, and that's how they refer to themselves... as Hawaiians, of Japanese heritage.

Quote:
I challenge you to find ONE post about my well know views on restoring the Hawaiian Monarchy. I explicitly stated I don't have a strong opinion on the topic.
I apologize. I was mistaken.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Since your political views on restoring the Hawaiian Monarchy and Separatism are already extremely well known here, I do hope you won't try to hijack this thread with your rhetoric on all that. This isn't the place for it. I'm just interested in what different Hawaiians do for the holidays, like eating ahi tuna and setting off firecrackers.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread. As I said, I don't have a strong opinion on restoring the Hawaiian Monarchy and Separatism. I don't know what gave you that idea. I just think your thread started out on the wrong foot with "Hawaiians of Japanese descent." Mentioning the tradition of local Japanese (and even other locals) enjoying ahi on New Years Day was spot on, tho.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, but the "vast majority of locals" is in the minority, and doesn't really impact how the rest of the world uses the word. I know 5th generation Hawaiians of Japanese heritage, and that's how they refer to themselves... as Hawaiians, of Japanese heritage.

I apologize. I was mistaken.

Apology accepted!

I'm not going to call you a liar but in all of my 44 years in Hawaii, I have never heard local Japanese refer to themselves as Hawaiians of Japanese heritage. This includes my large family and circle of friends.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,786,874 times
@Open D & Kaimuki

And Im kanaka lol. And I also meant no disrespect for using the term Hawaiian in the way I do. Anyway from what I know of ancient hawaiian culture, yes they celebratted what was called Makahiki(year) which was the equivalent to new years. Even today some Native Hawai'ians celebrated it. It was in honor of the god Lono of the Hawaiian religion. It was a holiday covering four consecutive lunar months, approximately from October or November through February or March. Many religious ceremonies happened during this period. The people stopped work, made offerings to the chief or aliʻi, and then spent their time practicing sports, feasting, dancing and having a good time. War during those four months was forbidden kapu. Hope that helps Open D?

Oh heres some info on current celebration of Makahiki.

Ancient Hawaiian celebration of Makahiki tied to the stars

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-06-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: