Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times

Advertisements

Caught this in the inflight magazine:

Hana Hou: The Magazine of Hawaiian Airlines - Current Issue

"According to the US Census, in 2011 57,542 people migrated from the Mainland to Hawai‘i, while 61,940 packed up and left. That’s a net loss of 4,398 residents"

"In the 1990s Hawai‘i led the nation in per capita loss due to migration"

"Why do people leave paradise? Ask those exiting and you’ll get an earful: $9 gallons of milk, pterodactyl-size cockroaches, poorly rated public schools, volcanic smog, insanely priced beach shacks. Often it boils down to two simple facts: They can’t find a job and they miss family elsewhere."

"Everybody’s heard horror stories of failed attempts. One poor fellow didn’t make it past Honolulu Airport: Thieves at baggage claim relieved him of his worldly possessions. Without cash or identification, he couldn’t even retrieve his dog from quarantine" OUCH!

"The Hollands’ tale is especially unfortunate. They built their dream home on Baldwin Beach on Maui, only to have it condemned before they could move in. It seems that the county improperly authorized building permits and later rescinded them. The Hollands endured years of litigation before surrendering their property for half of its market value"

"If you’re f.o.b. (fresh off the boat), locals are hesitant to hire you, rent to you or date you until you’ve survived six months, preferably more. It’s too risky; you probably won’t stick around. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,274 times
I found this part particularly interesting:

"The Hawaiian Islands, still molten and rife with temperamental deities, seem to accept some people and spit others out."

Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 PM

4,513 posts, read 5,062,588 times
Doesn't surprise me, it's run by Democrats.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Caught this in the inflight magazine:

Hana Hou: The Magazine of Hawaiian Airlines - Current Issue

"According to the US Census, in 2011 57,542 people migrated from the Mainland to Hawai‘i, while 61,940 packed up and left. That’s a net loss of 4,398 residents"
And yet the total population has increased, by 12.3% from 2000 to 2010, so that stat, all by itself, doesn't really mean a lot. It's a far more complex situation than one might think at first glance. For one thing those migration figures include military transfers in, and military transfers out, so when there are troop buildups in Hawai'i net migrations skew positive, and when they are winding down, net migrations skew negative.

Another thing to account for is that the average age in Hawai'i is trending upwards, and there's an increased population in each of the older age groups. Part of this shift is due to falling birth rates and rising longevity, but according to many sources a significant part of the change is due to the fact that older people are moving in, while younger people are moving out. IOW, there's good indication that for the most part they are not the same populations. Native Hawaiians moving to the mainland for better educational and economic opportunities are a well-known source of out-migration.

We'd have to see a breakdown of exactly who was coming in and who was leaving in order to better understand the situation with any confidence.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And yet the total population has increased, by 12.3% from 2000 to 2010, so that stat, all by itself, doesn't really mean a lot.
More births than deaths due to higher life expectancy and lower infant mortality rates account for the rise in population.

All the article is saying the trend of net migration losses from the 90s which on a per capita basis are the highest in the nation continue today.

If the military is included I would expect that would skew the numbers in a positive fashion due to wind downs of Iraq and Afghanistan and the stated position in recent years to make Hawaii a military fortress buffer to protect US interests in Asia.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,701 times
So just how long until no one is living in Hawaii any longer?

I need my space

Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I need my space
Just speaking for myself, I want to thank you for contributing to the steady increase in the average age of Hawaiian residents.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,821 times
Well, if all goes well for us; we will increase the 60+ retired group later this year or early next year. Of course we'll also increase the teen population, since we'll have our teenage grandson with us! WooHoo!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Retired with minion! That's a great thing. He can lift all the heavy packages.

I saw that in Hana Hou, too, and forgot about it after getting off the plane. I did wonder how they got their numbers.

Shouldn't Hawaii be promoting itself as a retirement location? Then we have folks moving here with pensions and such which is more income for the island and they will buy things like food and use services without needing employment. Kinda like college students with less skateboard park requirements. Wouldn't this be a good thing?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Shouldn't Hawaii be promoting itself as a retirement location? Then we have folks moving here with pensions and such which is more income for the island and they will buy things like food and use services without needing employment. Kinda like college students with less skateboard park requirements. Wouldn't this be a good thing?
Hawaii for most retiree's is just to expensive - and for many, the remoteness isn't appealing away from family and friends. Not seeing children or grandchildren is an issue for many - missing birthdays and special events are hard - and with so so healthcare, that can be an issue also.

On the flip side there are plenty of retiree's - just not what you would see in Florida or Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: