Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Has anyone been to Costa Rica that can compare and contrast the two for a winter getaway from the mainland U.S.? Beaches? Hiking? Overall. I live in Seattle WA and I'm considering both for a winter vacation. I've been to Hawaii before (actually lived in Maui 22 years ago). I have not been to Costa Rica. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
One thing to consider is that the dry season for Costa Rica is winter - versus winter is the wet season in Hawaii so you might be hiking in the mud.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
One thing to consider is that the dry season for Costa Rica is winter - versus winter is the wet season in Hawaii so you might be hiking in the mud.
Sounds like that favors Costa Rica right now then for hikes. Depends where in CR though. I think the southern Caribbean coast of CR has one if it's biggest rain months in Jan.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Something to consider is that in Hawai'i you won't see military roadblocks on the highway, with soldiers armed with machine guns making people unload their vehicles to search for drugs, like I saw when I was in Costa Rica a few years ago.

Oh, and the armed bodyguards to deter kidnapping? You probably won't need those in Hawai'i, so that will save you some money.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Hi,

Has anyone been to Costa Rica that can compare and contrast the two for a winter getaway from the mainland U.S.? Beaches? Hiking? Overall. I live in Seattle WA and I'm considering both for a winter vacation. I've been to Hawaii before (actually lived in Maui 22 years ago). I have not been to Costa Rica. Thanks!
I just returned Dec. 28th from 10 days in Costa Rica. I enjoyed many aspects of the trip, but overall I still prefer Hawaii.
San Jose is pretty run down. It felt "safe" though. The Arenal area reminded me of Kauai. Monteverde is accessible only by dirt highways, and Manuel Antonio National Park is beautiful but the closest town, Quepos, reminded of a slum in Mexico. Costa Rica also has an extremely high vehicle fatality rate (some say the highest in the world), and a bit of time on the highways shows you why. Only main roads are paved. Side roads are dirt and rock.
On the flip side, the people are extremely friendly, they have good health care, a low crime rate, much national pride, and have adopted "green" environmental practices throughout the country. Markets and butcher shops are scrupulously clean.
Hotels don't match Hawaii's. Four-stars didn't always insure hot water in the shower. Restaurants are less expensive than Hawaii, but groceries, beer, sunscreen, insect repellant, liquor, gasoline, etc., are more expensive. Activities like zip lining are dirt-cheap ($40 for 11 lines).
Since you have already been to Hawaii, I recommend a trip to CR just to see it for yourself. We did a tour with Gate 1 Travel, because both of us wanted the added security of a bus on those highways.
For more info, I am slowly reviewing our stops on Trip Advisor. I'm Futuremauian there too!
Funny note: After a 1-hour hike through the rain forest at Manuel Antonio National Park, we reached the beach, ready to jump in and cool off. There was a crocodile in the water, so were weren't allowed in! LOL, you don't get that in Hawaii!

Have a great trip, whichever you choose!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Thanks Futuremauian for your excellent informative post. Did you make it over to the laid back Costa Rica beach towns of Montezuma, Santa Teresa, Puerto Viejo or Malpais? I hear the Carribbean side of Costa Rica is underrated and not touristy. I will probably try to make it down to Costa Rica.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
Costa Rica:
+huge diversity in fauna and flora
+cheaper
+rougher adventure
+no military (cops only)
+friendly folks
-less infrastructure (hotels, stores, restaurants, hospitals, museums)
-nastier bugs and infections
-dangerous animals
-Spanish spoken

Hawaii:
+safer; any which way
+little diversity in fauna & flora, but pretty
+much infrastructure (hotels, stores, restaurants, hospitals, museums)
+same food, clean tap water
+English spoken
-civilized adventure
-much military
-very expensive
-aside from the Big Island, it's crowded.

Both destinations have volcanoes. Both have beaches. Both have better weather than where you are. Both have tropical scenery. Both have good surfing. If your lady is up for something new, I would recommend Costa Rica.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks Futuremauian for your excellent informative post. Did you make it over to the laid back Costa Rica beach towns of Montezuma, Santa Teresa, Puerto Viejo or Malpais? I hear the Carribbean side of Costa Rica is underrated and not touristy. I will probably try to make it down to Costa Rica.
We didn't make it to the Caribbean side. Just too much for 10 days. Most of our time was spent in the highlands, with the last 3 nights (at Christmas) on the Pacific Coast. We made an extended lunch stop in the town of Jaco (Ha-co), a beach town popular with surfers from all over the globe. Our guide said it gets "pretty wild" there at night (Partying and drugs). It seemed a lot like Lahaina. The northern Pacific coast has many all-inclusive resorts. The other coast may, as well.
I heard positive things about the Caribbean Coast, with the caveat that there "isn't a lot to do...just a place to chill".
Arenal was the most beautiful area, with hiking and hot springs being the top pastimes. Monteverde was the center for action sports. The weather was warm and comfortable everywhere we went. Never wore my windbreaker!
One more thought: Use the duty-free store at the airport baggage-claim for liquor. Bacardi was $6.00 per liter there. It was $18.00 everywhere else. Beer is at least $1.00 per can/bottle in all stores. Sunscreen and Off both cost at least $10 for a small container. Fortunately mosquitos were a minor problem, and tap water was drinkable everywhere. Have fun!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 01-10-2014 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Excellent stuff Futuremauian! I think it will probably make sense for me to rent a car down there to get out and about. I'm thinking I will probably hit Arenal and Montverde and probably some of the Guanacaste beach towns like Playa de Coco and Playa de Hermosa.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 AM

23 posts, read 38,476 times
You definetly should go to Costa Rica. Such an amazing country. So beautiful and the people are so nice. Yes arenal area is incredible. We like Manuel Antonio when we go the most. The drive up to monteverde is always interesting and you never know what you are gonna get as far as road conditions. You just cannot beat Costa Rica!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii