Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,065 times

Advertisements

If you could only pick one of these 4 hikes, which would it be and why?
I am an avid hiker and have an abundance of experience leading school trips on the neighboring islands, but not on O'ahu. I have an extra day for the high schoolers this time, so I want to add in an O'ahu hike that isn't something you can see on the neighboring islands (out time on O'ahu is always short and fairly hike-free compared to the other islands). My O'ahu experience is just limited so any advice would be helpful!

I've narrowed it down to:
Koko Head Crater Trail
Kuliouou Ridge Trail
Lanipo trail
Kaau Crater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
I'm hesitant to call Koko Head a hike - basically you are going up 1,000 steps - you can do the roundtrip in under an hour. Great view.

I've done Kuliouou - this one will take you about 3 hours or so, also has great views - and a more traditional hike.

Kaau is not an easy hike - ropes and not for the faint of heart.

Hopefully we will dry out before your hike - I wouldn't do it in the mud with all the rain we've had.

Haven't done Lanipo.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM

941 posts, read 1,968,674 times
Not an expert on Oahu hikes, but I once did the Lanikai pillbox hike and the views are spectacular--especially of Mokulua islands offshore (I just realized mokulua means "2 islands"). Warning, awesome pictures here: The Lanikai Pillboxes Hike - Kailua, HI | UnrealHawaii.com

Minor offshore islands in HI could be one topic of conversation for your class: rabbits, target practice, sea bird conservation. The pillboxes (WWII defense positions) could be another topic. I've heard that many ridges around the islands had them, and they were manned by the army 24/7 as lookouts during the war. There aren't many places to see them, other than Diamond head, perhaps. The ones on Kaua'i are all gone now (destroyed or removed, I don't know).

That website also has photos of Lanipo and Kuliouou (which looks cool but longer).

Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 PM

174 posts, read 349,417 times
Have done the Lanikai Pillboxes once - where we started I had to use the ropes at the beginning and coming down, I prefer the stairs on Koko Head more.

Koko Head steps can be very slippery if it has rained, and you will most likely be very sore the next day if you don't climb steps or do some type of lunges on a regular basis. I fractured my ankle (small fracture) coming down Koko Head last April and have not been back for that hike since, because I know I am going to be super sore for a few days afterwards.

Have not done any of the other hikes mentioned.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Are any of those up to the bamboo forest on the top of Tantalus? That would be a lovely hike. You go to the parking lot at the top of Tantalus and start across the street. Go up and towards the right and you should find the bamboo forest.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,223,828 times
Here's a fun site that has a lot of easy to read info on the hikes
Best Hikes on Oahu | UnrealHawaii.com

Kuliouou Ridge Trail
The Kuliouou Ridge Trail - Honolulu, HI | UnrealHawaii.com

Lanipo trail
Lanipo Trail | UnrealHawaii.com

Kaau Crater
Ka'au Crater Hike - Honolulu, HI | UnrealHawaii.com

Koko Head Crater Trail
Koko Head Crater Trail | EveryTrail

Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,761 times
Check out Lulumahu falls near the Nu'uanu reservoir. Right off Pali HWY, a 20-30 minute hike through bamboo and jungle to the falls. Park where Nu'uanu Pali road comes back out on Pali HWY (closest to tunnels) and hike through the opening in the chain link fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: