Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 PM

675 posts, read 647,409 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, HI is eliminated, and the venues are one of the following: San Fransisco, San Diego, Bermuda, and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,501,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Unfortunately, HI is eliminated, and the venues are one of the following: San Fransisco, San Diego, Bermuda, and Chicago.
Three cities. San Francisco, San Diego, and Bermuda. No Chicago.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,974,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No Chicago.
Somebody needs to tell BBC news

"San Francisco, San Diego, Chicago or Bermuda are all vying to stage the America's Cup finals in 2017."

BBC Sport - America's Cup: Four venues shortlisted for 2017 event

Old 06-06-2014, 09:56 PM

I saw elsewhere that Chicago was indeed on the list. However, it makes no sense whatsoever that an Americas Cup would ever be held in Chicago.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 AM

941 posts, read 1,971,508 times
Quote:
I saw elsewhere that Chicago was indeed on the list. However, it makes no sense whatsoever that an Americas Cup would ever be held in Chicago.
Why? The lake is a serious body of water, and it's supposed to be an awesome city (never been myself). Heck, they even have icebreakers up there all winter; it's more than a pond.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...eaker&tbm=isch

Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 AM

What ocean is Chicago on?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM

569 posts, read 782,079 times
Quote:
What ocean is Chicago on?
Wait...you do know that sailing can be done on lakes, right? Chicago sits right on one of the biggest lakes in the world and has more wind than they know what to do with. (They don't call it "The Windy City" for nothing.)

Also, the last America's Cup wasn't held in an ocean, but rather the San Francisco Bay. Part of it's popularity was that hundreds of thousands of people could watch it from the land. I think this will be the norm going forward; they're making it into much more of a spectator sport.

I'm rooting for San Francisco to get again (but hope the city doesn't let Ellison screw them over again)because I'm selfish and enjoyed watching it, but I can see why Chicago would want to host it.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,501,862 times
No, Chicago is not on the list of THREE finalists they announced the other day... San Francisco, San Diego, and Bermuda.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,974,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No, Chicago is not on the list of THREE finalists they announced the other day... San Francisco, San Diego, and Bermuda.
Shouldn't someone tell the Chicago Sun-Times?

Chicago might host America

Old 06-09-2014, 04:40 PM

I thought I had read that the AC proper couldn't be done on a lake, no matter how big, because it wasn't "open water" or something like that. A bay technically is at least semi-open.

*gets all curious and calls up the AC wiki*

ETA: OK, Im wrong. Here is some of the text: "The Deed of Gift language for this eventuality is: "In case the parties cannot mutually agree upon the terms of a match, then three races shall be sailed, and the winner of two of such races shall be entitled to the Cup. All such races shall be on ocean courses, free from headlands, as follows: The first race, twenty nautical miles (37 km) to windward and return; the second race an equilateral triangular race of thirty-nine nautical miles, the first side of which shall be a beat to windward; the third race (if necessary) twenty nautical miles (37 km) to windward and return; and one week day shall intervene between the conclusion of one race and the starting of the next race."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas_Cup (in bottom notes)
Either way, I hope Chicago, SF, and SD can all host some of the playoff. I was sort of hoping Oz would as well, since the COR is from there (and the GBR seems like a great place to race).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii