Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,952 times

Advertisements

HI everybody

My name is Veronica and I am from Europe Me and my two friends (girls) are going to the States for the summer. It´s not a vacation though, it´s the Work and Travel programme. We have managed to get J1 visa (for international students) so we can work and travel in your beautiful country for 3 months . My big dream is Hawaii but I heard that finding a job there is difficult especially for foreign students. I would like to ask you, if there is a possibility for us to find a job in Hawaii? If it´s possible, which part of HI is the best for students like us? Can you recommend us something, or give us a little advice? And what about accommodation? I heard that accommodation there is very expensive. But we can live in a share house, we don t have problem with it. We really want to try Hawaii because this is maybe the last chance we can actually go there/ work / live there for a while/ travel the island...We are still studying, but this is our final semester. And this WAT /work and travel/ programme is just for the students.
I would be very happy if you could write me back and answer my questions.Thank you for your time Have a beautiful day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
You aren't likely to find a 3 month job unless your school already has some sort of program already established with Hawaii or the University. No lack of students already here and coming from other parts of the US for summer work.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM

834 posts, read 1,220,606 times
Many US and international students in your situation come as 'woofers' to Hawaii. Here's one website, but there are more (google 'woofing' and 'hawaii') WWOOF | Work exchange on organic and sustainable properties Agricultural labor is hard to find here.

Most farms are small (Maui, Big Island, Kauai, Oahu) and only offer simple housing and meals as compensation. Organic and conventional farms participate (no GMO farms!). Coffee, produce, fruits, macadamia nuts, goats, etc are typical. It's btw 20-40 hours a week. Transportation and flight has to be paid by yourself.

I know many farmers who actually prefer international students over US mainland dropouts who don't want to leave the farm when their time is up. So your chances are good if you don't shy field and orchard work.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:04 PM

136 posts, read 330,688 times
You could try to get a temp job through a staffing agency. It's hard to get a 3 month summer job because there's competition from other students and many places don't want to hire someone they know will leave in a few months. Honolulu has the most jobs but other places could work out depending on what kind of job you want.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,414,490 times
Unless you land something like the woofing arrangement, aside from employment you have problems finding a 3 month rental depending on how much you have spend. Anything under 6 months is technically a "vacation rental" and those can be very pricey for a student's budget. You will have no references or current employment to list on an application for a long term rental, no credit report in this country etc. so qualifying for a regular rental would be difficult. Don't give up tho! Explore what is possible and check the woofing sites and hostels on each island Oahu and Maui will be your most expensive islands.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,454,997 times
Don't WOOF, that's just exploitation. Europe isn't a country and we Americans aren't so dumb that we don't know that! Where are you actually from? There might be jobs for people with your language skills

Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,952 times
Thanks for your advice I´d like to ask: this WWOOF programme is paid? And what do you think, I have better chance to find a job and 3 month rental If I´m going to Hawaii alone? My friends can´t go. So the most expensive island is Oahu and Maui? And what about couchsurfing? Maybe it´s an option to get some help from locals, isn´t it? Maybe they will recommend me some jobs or some sort of renting. What do you think? Winkosmosis: What kind of jobs do you mean and where? THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE I appreciate it

Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM

834 posts, read 1,220,606 times
Veronica, if you hold a J-1 visa, you must have a sponsor organization. And you can only work for one designated employer, which is listed in your J-1 visa.

It's not possible to come with a J-1 to the USA and work for anybody. If someone in your home country told you different you will end up at the USA immigration checkpoint in the US airport and be send back home right away.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
WWOOFing isn't really paid, it's sort of like couch surfing with a few hours of farm/agricultural work thrown in to pay for the sleeping space. And depending on the WWOOFing location, the sleeping space can be just about anything. Most times WWOOFers get a meal each day, but you'd still have to add in some more on your own.

Are there any social or religious groups that you belong to that have branches in Hawaii? They might be helpful in finding a spot for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: