Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM

849 posts, read 3,531,348 times

Advertisements

This may seem stupid but we currently have a VW New Beetle. We can get it and ourselves there from Tampa area for around 3K. Either by driving to CA (nice road trip) and then shipping car and flying us or shipping from here and enduring the 15 hr. flight with cats. Not bringing furniture. I am the thrift store/dumpster queen and my kitchen needs to get koshered anyway, so we're traveling light.
My question is, how accessible will VW parts be in Honolulu? Any worse than Japanese or Korean makes? Not sure I can trade here but we really think we need to have a car available even if not for every day. Husband will be substitute teaching probably until we get settled in and I have MS. I can travel by bus, as I still walk, but my walking is limited distance wise. He needs to get just about anywhere in the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:13 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,582,014 times
Parts for your VW wouldn't be a problem, hopefully you won't need any!! Bus system on Oahu is top notch, will get you really close to anywhere you want to go. I'ld sell the VW, pick up a used car over here, there's plenty of good deals, especially considering how many rental cars go up for sale every year. Best of luck, and, man, is it storming out right now, not your basic Hawaii postcard picture morning!!!!!

Aloha

Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,024,242 times
A friend bought a new VW Beetle while working in HI, shipped it to Austin when she moved home and shipped it back again a few weeks ago when she moved back to HI. The VW must have worked out pretty well to go through all that trouble!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 AM

849 posts, read 3,531,348 times
Default jungjohann

Aloha! It's good to know any repairs that we might need are available. We only plan to use it if my husband is substitute teaching and has to go further afield and when I'm having a bad MS day. Can't sell because I'll only break even on what I owe. Have to get to Hawaii from Fl and 15 hours in the air is a killer for me so for a little bit more money, we can drive, ship and then fly. We are already planning the trip and will make plenty of stops. We've never been out West and want to see it.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM

312 posts, read 1,640,415 times
Although there are other modes of transportation, it's good to have at least one vehicle in the household.

I have a VW Jette (2nd one) - parts and service won't be a problem for you on Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: