Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times

Advertisements

Only in Hawaii, it is starting to make national news, I guess they have never seen an episode of "Cops".

"Honolulu police officers have urged lawmakers to keep an exemption in state law that allows undercover officers to have sex with prostitutes during investigations, touching off a heated debate."

Police lobby to remain exempt from law against prostitution - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Only in Hawaii, it is starting to make national news, I guess they have never seen an episode of "Cops".

"Honolulu police officers have urged lawmakers to keep an exemption in state law that allows undercover officers to have sex with prostitutes during investigations, touching off a heated debate."

Police lobby to remain exempt from law against prostitution - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Can you only imagine the work comp issues this creates? Hey, I got an STD while on the job so give me a big settlement check.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM

48,625 posts, read 35,078,116 times
This is one of those things where I would have read the law that exempts them. Sometimes they state things like kissing are sexual..... So while the article seems like a no brainer, I'd want to see the statutes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is one of those things where I would have read the law that exempts them. Sometimes they state things like kissing are sexual..... So while the article seems like a no brainer, I'd want to see the statutes.
Ask and you shall receive...
Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes §712-1200 Prostitution

Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Your awesome thank you!

So to pick out key phrases that the police are exempt from "any sexual contact" and "(b) Pays, agrees to pay, or offers to pay a fee to another to engage in sexual conduct."

I don't see a law that specifically allows police to have sex with prostitutes, so the article is somewhat misleading as the law also encompasses the above which seems like it would be needed to catch and prosecute prostitutes (which I think should be legal anyway).

It does look correct that if a police officer has intercourse with a prostitute he is exempt.

I'm guessing here..... but I'm pretty sure there are guidelines somewhere that they are told not to do that.

BUT, it does not seem unreasonable, to change the law to make police exempt from most of the law, but any penetration is illegal and punishable.

I can get more info on the subject later though.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:33 PM

834 posts, read 1,222,791 times
I am terrified at the thought that whenever I'll invite a Hawaiian woman for dinner and we'll have sex afterwards she may be a cop busting me for culinary prostitution in the morning.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 PM

Ok.

Departmental policy delineates strict conduct in these situations. While the statute does not list restrictions the Departmental policy does.

Touching on the buttocks, vagina and nipple are considered sexual, no matter how slight.

As an odd side note, I found it interesting that Departmental Policy, in some cases, can supersede State law. In the case of the article, punishment would be dealt from the department.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
"Honolulu police are telling a key state lawmaker that they're OK with making it expressly illegal for officers to have sex with prostitutes, as long as undercover officers can still say they'll have sex so they can make arrests."

HPD: OK to outlaw sex with prostitutes - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM

569 posts, read 782,646 times
Sounds like the cops are concerned about losing one of their most cherished finge benefits.

"Healthcare, a pension and I get to boink hookers? And and top of all that you pay me a salary? Wow!"

Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Naaah, I've held my tongue on this until now, but I understand what they were saying. In other parts of the country cops are so limited in what they can say or do that the professionals can easily flush the cops out and avoid arrest.

Hawai'i Police regulations set the operating boundaries, which were much narrower than the limits of the law before, and that's what they wanted to preserve. Then well-meaning folks who are unfamiliar with the nitty-gritty that vice-department work really entails took that leeway away from them. Net result? Less effective police work, inevitably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: