Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,079 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am considering on attending college in Hawaii in 2015. However, I am stuck between two choices. I am planing on studying either general business administration or accounting - my two choices are Chaminade and UH Hilo. From an academic perspective, UH Hilo seems to be the logical choice, as they're AACSB accredited. Chaminade, however, has the less prestigious IACBE accreditation. Although Hilo has the better accreditation, they're located in a rural environment, and I would like to attend college in Honolulu. So, would it be worth it to go to Chaminade over UH Hilo, and will I be able to find a job after graduation, or should I suck it up, and attend UH Hilo. Also, what are the job markets of these two degrees in Hawaii.
Thanks for considering this thread. UH Manoa's tuition is a bit high for someone coming from out of state, and (based off of my research) HPU's business program is not accredited.
Also, I am planning on hopefully staying in Hawaii. I have no intention of leaving for home after I earn my degree.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 04:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Well. General Business Administration doesn't buy you much unless you go to Grad School. Stick with accounting.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Thank you for the reply, but would going to Chaminade for accounting prep me to find a job after college?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:26 PM

Thank you for the reply, but would going to Chaminade for accounting prep me to find a job after college?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM

What is the point for you to go to college in Hawaii to begin with?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 PM

About the two posts with the same question - I wanted to see the difference with the quick reply.
Regarding your question, I simply want to move out of Toledo, and go somewhere nice. I know of people who went to California or Florida for college, but I would like to attend Hawaii. I've spent hours looking into the cost of living and such, but my last decision is on which college to attend.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 PM

The reason I posed my question. You seem concerned about job prospects (which is good) and that seems like that should be the priority regardless of location.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelric96 View Post
About the two posts with the same question - I wanted to see the difference with the quick reply.
Regarding your question, I simply want to move out of Toledo, and go somewhere nice. I know of people who went to California or Florida for college, but I would like to attend Hawaii. I've spent hours looking into the cost of living and such, but my last decision is on which college to attend.
I'd also look at the total cost of obtaining a degree. UH basically charges double tuition to out of state students, because it helps their budget when mainland parents are willing to pay the "paradise tax" to send their kids someplace that sounds cool. But in almost all those cases, the quality of the education and future prospects are secondary. Is that what you want to base your life on? A very high percentage of people who graduate from college in Hawai'i wind up moving to the mainland after graduation in order to make decent money.

Chaminade is a Catholic university catering primarily to local kids, with a strong emphasis on Hawaiian Studies.

UH Hilo is good for certain things, like Pharmacy. BTW, Hilo is small town (44,000 pop.) not rural, and though it's cheaper than Manoa, it's not cheap compared to more highly rated schools on the mainland.

Out of the corner of my eye this morning I saw a news item that Harvey Mudd College in California is the top rated college in the country for return on (college expense) investment after graduation. You might want to check that out.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Yep, I've done the research behind the cost of attendance. Chaminade has a base tuition of 35k a year, but it'll be lowered to 20k according to their net price calculator. UH Hilo has a net price of 29k a year for out of state, but that'll also be lowered to 20k a year according to their calculator. I've also been considering on their community colleges with off-campus housing. Tuition for everything starts at about 19k yearly for one, and will probably be lowered to 13k or 14k.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM

182 posts, read 356,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Out of the corner of my eye this morning I saw a news item that Harvey Mudd College in California is the top rated college in the country for return on (college expense) investment after graduation. You might want to check that out.
It better give a good return on investment. For the 2013-2014 year at Harvey Mudd, tuition, room & board and other expenses were estimated to be $63,680 . And their acceptance rate? Just a little over 21%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: