Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,215 times

Advertisements

Yes another one.
There are so many posts on this page that I can't possibly read all of them.

We are moving to Hawai'i in January 2009. We are either moving to Oahu or Maui. My husband is graduating culinary school so will be looking for a job in that field. I worked for 5 years in the health care industry so would probably start looking in that field.

We have a 3 year old daughter and are probably going to opt for a 1 bedroom furnished place as we are only planning on staying a year unless we fall in love and decide to stay longer.

My questions are which are the best locations to live with a small child and save some money yet still have an easy commute to work. I assume with my husbands skill he will be working at a resort or similar.

Would it be worth buying a car or is the public transportation system up to par in the area.

Any information about neighborhoods in Maui and Oahu would be helpful. and any other information would be great!!!!!

Thanks so much for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM

312 posts, read 1,640,583 times
Most travel-related jobs on Oahu are in Waikiki. It should be easy to find a furnished rental in Waikiki and you would not need a car for transportation.

Personally I find Waikiki to congested and would prefer to live right outside Waikiki. Areas like Kapiolani, Kapahulu, Kaimuki or McCully. From those areas it would be easy to catch the Bus to Waikiki, so again no car needed.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 PM

45 posts, read 295,585 times
The windward side is great for kids. There are beautiful beaches without huge waves or mass amounts of people like the other parts of the island. There is a slight commute, but not as bad as from the leeward side. If you are only going to be here a year, make the most of it and live in the most beautiful part of the island. If you will live in town you will have to deal with more traffic, crime, and general congestion - all of the things that one might want to get away from on the mainland. If you can afford a car then get one. It rains so much here that you dont want to be waiting at the bus stop in tha rain with a small child. Avoid the leeward side. The lower prices may make it look like a good idea, but for people from the mainland it is not. There is racism, drugs and an insane amount of traffic coming into town. It is much drier over there as well, and not nearly as pretty (sorry guys its true). Trust me Kaneohe or the surrounding areas are the places to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: