Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 11:45 AM

27 posts, read 89,341 times

Advertisements

Back in 08', there was a huge spotlight on domestic violence here in Hawaii. I remember there being 11 female deaths in a 12 month period!!

I also remember coming across some statistics on how we ranked compared to the rest of the country. We were pretty high up there, relative to population.

I can't seem to find those stats now though. Anyone have any info on this, or know where to look?

Last edited by JLeez808; 05-04-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
It didn't pull up on a general Google/Yahoo/etc., search? Well, OpenD is really good about sleuthing things out on the net, perhaps he'll pop in with some data. There's a website called "Nixle" which monitors current police events, but I don't know if that would help you much.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,765,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeez808 View Post
Back in 08', there was a huge spotlight on domestic violence here in Hawaii. I remember there being 11 female deaths in a 12 month period!!

I also remember coming across some statistics on how we ranked compared to the rest of the country. We were pretty high up there, relative to population.

I can't seem to find those stats now though. Anyone have any info on this, or know where to look?
Try this, there are a bunch of reports from Hawai'i from different years regarding D.V.

DVSA-DRC: Hawaii

Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, OpenD is really good about sleuthing things out on the net, perhaps he'll pop in with some data.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can't add much. What I see is a paucity of good, easily accessible information past 2010. This seems kind of weird to me, given what seems to be heightened interest in the topic, but in fact that may be a clue... heightened interest includes heightened scrutiny of the data, and I think that may be a factor in the the decline of organizations publicly reporting results until they get a better handle on the methodology.

Per comments I just made in another thread about statistics, factors such as what to measure, how to measure it, and how to interpret the results have a lot to do with how accurate and how useful the resulting information will be.

Starting with what to measure... do you count police reports, police responses, arrests, court judgments, social agency reports, or what? Do you count only incidents that occur at personal residences, or do you include incidents at work places and public places? Do you include reports of sexual violence or are those reported in a separate statistic? How about domestic violence within same-sex relationships, or between generations living together, or within ohana groups that don't share legal relationships? Is roommate violence included? I think the lack of a uniform, and widely accepted definition of what Domestic Violence is has frustrated a lot of data collection efforts, and that may have something to do with why so many reports on the issue haven't been updated for several years.

But to give a non-rigorous "pop" response to the original question, I get the personal impression that nothing has significantly changed, and that Hawai'i deserves its reputation for being in the Top Ten states for Domestic Violence incidents. But at least I'll be straight about it and label this personal opinion.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,258,941 times
I do know that last night a Man allegedly sets another man on fire in Kaneohe got into an argument with a man at a home on Anoi Rd. According to police, Lonzaga allegedly doused the man with flammable liquid and set him on fire.
So Domestic Violence incidents are high in Hawaii. Something new comes up like this every few days.
Man allegedly sets another man on fire in Kaneohe | KHON2

Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 AM

27 posts, read 89,341 times
If I'm not mistaken, Lonzanga and the victim were long-time friends/drinking buddies lol. Neighbors sed they hung out all the time, but clearly someone had "one too many" that day! Haven't read the follow-ups to that story....hope things are working out.

Thanks for the replies and links though. There's a lot of data to go thru....I think I'm looking for how HI compares to other mainland states PER CAPITA.

I swore for a long time that I had heard that our auto theft stats were super high per capita. Studies I find now don't support that though. Funny cuz my car was stolen twice, best friend's stolen twice, and I lost plenty mopeds over the years. I actually watched my car get stolen the 2nd time...and saw my friend's get stolen his second time too!!!! Both times, we only had liability...TOTAL LOSSES

Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 AM

163 posts, read 269,199 times
JLeez, if you are stilling following this thread, I'd contact DVAC in Honolulu. I knew a few women who did internships and practicum there. Here is their website: Aloha & Welcome | Domestic Violence Action Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: