Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 PM

35 posts, read 51,996 times

Advertisements

Im 23 i have always wanted to go to Hawaii since i was a kid. i found out about wwoofhawaii and signed up. right now im at a point in my life where im starting things over and want to find a place to call home. i was thinking about going to Hawaii to wwoof and then after, or the last month looking for jobs. my question is how reasonable is that or should i just stay here on the mainland and find a place to call home in one of the other states here? the only job experience i have is warehouse. i started a different thread awhile ago but didnt ask for opinions on my idea. im just needing some advice if this is good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 AM

53 posts, read 97,354 times
I won't speak directly about you wanting to WWOOF in Hawaii specifically, because I don't know what that's like.

However. You're at a great age for going on adventures, trying new things, exploring new places and learning. For most people, their twenties were the only times in their lives where they didn't have "real world" responsibilities and could do things like travel aimlessly or move to very different places. With that said, if (IF!) you are genuinely interested in learning about organic farming and agriculture, and are willing to work for that knowledge, you should give it a shot. As long as you can financially swing things like airfare and don't have any major debts demanding your attention, this would seem like a great time for you to branch out. Remember, you're young and it's not forever.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Shoot! Seems like a good time to give it a try. Wouldn't you hate to be sixty and saying "I wish I would have .... "

Old 05-05-2014, 05:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
There are lots of places you can try WWOOFing. It doesn't have to be in Hawai'i. But it will cost you, and you do have to be able to afford to do it, no matter where you go, because basically what you'll get in exchange for your work is a bed, or maybe a tent space, and some food, not necessarily three meals a day. So you have to have money to get there and back, and for incidentals and any other food you'll need while you're there. Unless you are seriously interested in learning how to farm organically, it's probably not a great idea.

I agree that doing some exploration is good for the soul, and can really open your horizons, but it doesn't sound like you have either the skills or the money to just take off on a jet to somewhere exotic. You might consider destinations closer to home until you're better equipped. Even weekend trips to unfamiliar places can broaden your outlook.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:32 PM

35 posts, read 51,996 times
thank you so much, i really want to and i do have the funds for it i was just nervous about it i guess. i know if i dont i would look back with regret

Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 PM

834 posts, read 1,219,618 times
Make up your mind, young man! You have gotten much good advice already in your previous threads since 2012. Yet your posts become more vague and not more specific, as they should be.

THIS kind of attitude will not get you far anywhere, and Hawaii will be rough on you despite its sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii