Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:14 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times

Advertisements

Kewl! A conspiracy theory! Weren't they kinda trendy awhile back?

Well, usually one can take just about everything with a grain of salt. Unless you're in Hawaii, then you can use shoyu. I suppose, if you're in Texas, you can use barbecue instead.

People in the congregate are pretty strange critters and I'd hate to try to come up with a generalized motivation for them. Why they post here on CD can probably be answered with a volume of different answers and still not cover them all. The conspiracy theory is kinda a new one, though. Adds to the entertainment factor, IMHO. Which is yet another reason folks hang out here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.

Theres your answer about what is appropriate in CDF Hawai'i. Further sometimes we have to look beyond the law and look at the letter of the law. Obvious the site was created for moving and local issues. But if we look at the letter of the law or motive, its obvious to see the creators wanted it to be much more. Thus music, relationship,political forums

Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM

21 posts, read 61,376 times
looks like a few folks need to find a hobby~ oh wait...this IS their hobby or job LOL

Old 01-30-2015, 05:15 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In my view... for starters, I look at the home page of the web site, which says:

And in addition to maps and links to various kinds of Data about cities, it has buttons on the Home page for data on Cities, Schools, Neighborhoods, Assessments, More (Restaurants, Sex Offenders, Local Crime, etc.), and Forums. The Primary forums are about key cities or geographical areas.

In short, the name says what the primary purpose of the site is... a site for obtaining Data about US Cities, primarily to serve people who are relocating.

The site management generously allowed the Forum section to expand over time to embrace a lot of secondary topic areas that people were interested in, and that in turn helped make the site quite popular with the general public.

So today you can ask questions about, or discuss such far ranging topics as Genealogy or Aviation or Real Estate, but the core forum topics, at the top of the Index, are the relocation forums, divided by State, and subdivided into Cities or areas.

The Hawai'i Forum is one of those relocation forums, and the primary purpose, inferred from all of the above, is to answer people's questions about relocating to and from Hawai'i.

But relocating isn't entirely about home prices, and schools and commute times, so other topics relating to Hawaiian state and local current events, public issues, tourism sites and activities, and Hawaiian culture are also considered valid for commentary. And over time many of us who enjoy sharing information about Hawai'i have become familiar with each other and have formed a loose online community who discuss topics of interest about Hawai'i with each other.

To summarize, all the questions you asked get at various aspects of the way people use the Hawai'i Forum, but the primary purpose, the very raison d'etre for the site in the first place, is to assist people with relocation.
I have another question about the purposes of City-Data website that maybe YOU can help me with, OpenD, but please take no offense to my asking you.
I see you have almost 13,000 posts over 4 years. What kind of time is that spent on C/D? Doing brief math that would be approx. 9 posts per day, EVERY SINGLE DAY, for 4 yrs or I guess if you have a lot of time on your hands you could double or triple up on the per day posts but still a TON of time spent on C/D?? It is your time, I absolutely realize that, but I see so many people with tens of thousands of posts I just wondered what was up with that? Do you get to know others via C/D and meet other places like out for drinks or food? I'm not seeking details of you, specifically. I just did a search of the purpose of C/D and the Hawaii question was the one to show 1st and then I noticed yours was one of the first comments, so I thought I would ask you.
My purpose in using C/D is when I am moving or thinking of doing that or if I have a place I want to check out in my city before going there or using it....stuff like that. On a rare occasion, when I am bored or stuck in a MDs office waiting, I browse C/D just to see what the topics are. I just have always wondered about the posters who have thousands++ of post and would appreciate your thoughts on it, if you don't mind?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I'm part of the advance team and your islands are under evaluation for one of our first colonies on your planet.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Never thought I'd see a thread like this on here.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm part of the advance team and your islands are under evaluation for one of our first colonies on your planet.
That's already been done.......................

Old 01-30-2015, 11:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbotumkesar View Post
Your question could be asked about any state or city's forum on City-Data. Discussions take on many topics and styles.

What I have discovered is weird. The "locals" to any state of city forum develop some crazy sense of over-lording and knowitall domination and control, as if they are the owners of the site or act as hall monitors. It's sometimes quite nutty. Others are busy acting as promoters and boosters of a city or state - and some are even getting PAID ad freelance writers (the owners of this site, Advameg, does hire "writers" as freelancers all the time) - sometimes you will never know that the poster, albeit a "freelancer", is actually getting PAID to write and post on City Data and a host of other sites they own. Then you have folks who are hired by REAL ESTATE firms, moving companies, builders, insurance agents, travel agents, CVB'c, Chamber of Commerce, Metro Planning Agencies, University systems, local governments, state governments,, etc etc etc who post constantly about the news of an area, projects, issues, politics etc. It's nutty. If you think you're getting straight feedback all the time, you're crazy. There is a reason why a "local poster" has posts totaling in the THOUSANDS, or are always "Helpful Helens" being omnipresent, hanging out on the web, everyday, all day long, just waiting to pounce on those keys to clickity-click his so-called "wisdom".

In short, caveat emptor - it ain't all true ! This is a business, not an exercise in altruism.

// I'm quite serious about City data's owner, Advameg, hiring writers for many of their sites as "freelancers". I have tracked several posters/screen names to so-called freelancer writers who use a service called "ELANCE". These signup writers using ELANCE as sort of a place to get hired for writing, accept "assignments" for short term or longer terms "projects" for writing on sites that Advameg (e.g. City Data) owns.

Beware friend beware
Some of us are here just because we enjoy chit chatting or answering questions sometimes, or we see a topic that is interesting to us or one we hadn't heard about before. Remember, it's just real people typing a few words to another! I know one of the regulars personally and I like to read what she has to say.

Nothing too dastardly about it!!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbotumkesar View Post
sometimes you will never know that the poster, albeit a "freelancer", is actually getting PAID to write and post on City Data and a host of other sites they own.
The pay really isn't that good - lower 6 figures, barely pays the bills in Hawaii.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:20 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I have another question about the purposes of City-Data website that maybe YOU can help me with, OpenD, but please take no offense to my asking you.

I just have always wondered about the posters who have thousands++ of post and would appreciate your thoughts on it, if you don't mind?
Personally I just love to write, and I love to be of service to people. When I retired I found that posting here kept me from getting bored or lonely, and also gave me welcome breaks from the far more difficult writing I'm doing for a book I'm working on as a personal prohect. Perhaps the breaks were a little too welcome, as my book certainly could have been farther along by now if it had been paid more attention.

I have been spoiled by having no deadlines here. I hate deadlines, but they are almost mandatory whenever one writes for money, so it's been a luxury to be able to write for my own satisfaction, without deadlines, albeit without being paid.

That said, I'm tapering down my time here pretty sharply now due to involvement with a couple of new projects I'm very passionate about. Change happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii