Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
OpenD is in over his head somewhat when it comes to discussing the Hawaiian pantheon and the Hawaiian language.
I never claimed to be an expert, but I do admit to being quite a lot more interested in Hawaiian traditions and language than the average "late arrival" is.

I share what I share in the spirit of contribution, and a desire to stimulate curiosity about the natural wonders of Hawai'i, the history of the land and the people, and the traditions and language of the native culture. If my enthusiasm outraces my knowledge from time to time, I apologize for my stumbles, but I do endeavor to be as accurate as possible.

Quote:
The Hawaiians never referred to their belief system as "Huna." "New Age" folks, such as Max Freedom Long, misappropriated the elements of the traditional Hawaiian belief system and called it "Huna." In other words, "Huna" is not and never was "Hawaiian."
Again I bow to your superior scholarship on the topic, as I have before. Max Freedom Long was an unfamiliar name to me until you referenced it here. I see there are several references which claim Huna is not authentically Hawaiian, while others claim that it is. Author, Kahuna, and Volcano resident Serge Kahili King says it is authentic, and argues that Max Long did not "invent" Huna, but merely revealed previously hidden knowledge. Since I can't prove it either way, or find definitive proof of either view, I'll just file this for now under "unproven."

But I'll definitely take correction from Hotzcatz and change the tense of my references to Hawaiian spirituality from past to present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I never claimed to be an expert, but I do admit to being quite a lot more interested in Hawaiian traditions and language than the average "late arrival" is.
That's true.

Quote:
I share what I share in the spirit of contribution, and a desire to stimulate curiosity about the natural wonders of Hawai'i, the history of the land and the people, and the traditions and language of the native culture. If my enthusiasm outraces my knowledge from time to time, I apologize for my stumbles, but I do endeavor to be as accurate as possible.
That's laudable. I'll try to catch your stumbles (e.g. "amakua" instead of ʻaumakua) before folks accept them as "fact" and make the same mistakes.

Quote:
Again I bow to your superior scholarship on the topic, as I have before. Max Freedom Long was an unfamiliar name to me until you referenced it here. I see there are several references which claim Huna is not authentically Hawaiian, while others claim that it is. Author, Kahuna, and Volcano resident Serge Kahili King says it is authentic, and argues that Max Long did not "invent" Huna, but merely revealed previously hidden knowledge. Since I can't prove it either way, or find definitive proof of either view, I'll just file this for now under "unproven."

But I'll definitely take correction from Hotzcatz and change the tense of my references to Hawaiian spirituality from past to present.
Serge Kahili Kingʻs background should reveal a little bit about his alleged "expertise" -- he's more of a "businessman" than a "shaman."

Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Serge Kahili Kingʻs background should reveal a little bit about his alleged "expertise" -- he's more of a "businessman" than a "shaman."
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the man. I first met Dr. King casually at the Volcano farmers market more than four years ago, introduced by a mutual friend, and we've talked more extensively since. I find him to be warm and affable, and instantly recognizable by his signature white Amish beard, straw hat, aloha shirt and open smile. Although he makes his living from his teaching and workshops and publishing, it all seems very low key from my perspective, and in person he comes across as much more sincere than commercial.

And though I'm no expert on the subject, his shamanistic CV seems in order.

On the other hand, after some further checking I agree that Huna is not authentically Hawaiian, although Dr. King himself clearly acknowledges as much, as in this excerpt featured at the top of his monthly newsletter for July.

Quote:
"Many people interested in the Huna philosophy want to believe that "Huna" is a "Hawaiian religion", but, folks, it certainly is NOT. "Huna" as a philosophical entity comprises an attitude towards life; and "Huna" is only a Hawaiian word meaning "hidden" and "not obvious" (among other meanings) that points to the fact, that the magic creative force innate to humanity is not recognized yet by many people.

From "Nordic Huna," by Jo Daniels

Aloha Newsletter

Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the man. I first met Dr. King casually at the Volcano farmers market more than four years ago, introduced by a mutual friend, and we've talked more extensively since. I find him to be warm and affable, and instantly recognizable by his signature white Amish beard, straw hat, aloha shirt and open smile. Although he makes his living from his teaching and workshops and publishing, it all seems very low key from my perspective, and in person he comes across as much more sincere than commercial.

And though I'm no expert on the subject, his shamanistic CV seems in order.

On the other hand, after some further checking I agree that Huna is not authentically Hawaiian, although Dr. King himself clearly acknowledges as much, as in this excerpt featured at the top of his monthly newsletter for July.
While Serge might be a nice guy, he'd probably have more credibility if he hadn't purchased his "Ph.D. in psychology" from "California Coast University," which has a reputation for being a "diploma mill."
GAO-04-771T, Diploma Mills: Federal Employees Have Obtained Degrees from Diploma Mills and Other Unaccredited Schools, Some at Government Expense
Fox Doctor's Diploma Mill Degree | The Smoking Gun
diploma mill - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Ripoff Report | California Coast University Complaint Review Santa Ana, California: 494351

On the plus side, some of Serge's writings prove that he's definitely a "master of equivocation"...
Quote:
One aspect of Hawaiian culture I learned is to avoid offending others when you don't have to and some Hawaiians are offended by my use of it. So I am "kahu" to members of my organization who want to call me by a title, "Dr. King" to those who want to acknowledge my doctorate in psychology, and simply "Serge" to the rest of the world. I have Hawaiian names as well, but I honor my birth parents by publicly using the name they gave me.
What is A Kahuna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: