Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 09:53 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^

Maybe you can explain to me why everytime there is talk of raising min wage or wages in general all these businesses and yahoos come out of the wood work and complain about it will raise the cost of business and hurt our economic outlook but From 1978 to 2011, CEO compensation increased more than 725 percent!

Any fairminded person would say this is garbage.

Like ive said its not your race or your income level but attitude and logic.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:31 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Most CEO compensation is not in the form of cash paid out. It is stock options, grants and restricted stock. The IRS has determined that the company has to report the "value" of the gift of stock, whether the CEO keeps or sells it. Most stock awards have restrictions upon how long the recipient must hold the stock before being allowed to sell it.

Stock options are really tricky because the company grants the CEO an option to buy stock at today's price, but not until some future date that is generally 2+ years from the date of the option. Then there is generally a 1 year plus hold on the sale of that stock. The CEO takes a risk that it may be worthless later on. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It is an incentive for the CEO to manage the company and grow the profits and stock price.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh you mean they make $15.26 on a mean avrg?
Wow - that is an incredibly high wage for unskilled labor. $30,000/year and huge benefits.

Again, for people who aren't college educated with no special skills. Not bad at all.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
My company laid me off 5 weeks ago and the state has yet to give me my unemployment benefits.
You've got to do some soul searching Wink and how you got yourself in this situation. It is practically impossible for anyone with a college degree and skills to be unemployed in Hawaii - let alone laid off.

Clearly after 2 rounds, Hawaii is not meant to be.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
^^^^^^

Maybe you can explain to me why everytime there is talk of raising min wage or wages in general all these businesses and yahoos come out of the wood work and complain about it will raise the cost of business and hurt our economic outlook but From 1978 to 2011, CEO compensation increased more than 725 percent!

Any fairminded person would say this is garbage.
Experts conclude that CEO compensation is not based on any rational measure. The CEO of Walmart reportedly pays himself a salary of $28 million a year (Board approved, of course), the CEO of Costco pays himself $500,000 a year, and Steve Jobs as CEO of Apple paid himself $1 a year.

Many Japanese corporations long adhered to a standard that the CEO's salary was to be no more than 7X the wages of the lowest position. If the CEO had an ownership position, or had contractual shares in the profit or loss of the company, that could be a source of additional compensation, which was understandable. But in terms of a regular paycheck from the company there was an implicit recognition that both positions were honorable jobs and both had value to the company, but one was not really to be exalted over the other. Sadly that fine tradition has gone out of style, replaced by... well, a form of insanity in which CEO compensation pretends to be rewarding great contributions to stockholder value, while researchers can find no such correlation in reality, with both winners and losers taking home outsized compensation.

Quote:
Such lionization is misplaced. Operating a sustainable enterprise, as any executive, manager or employee knows well, is inherently a team sport. Across companies and industries, this activity depends on many people working in concert in all kinds of groups, at all levels of the organization. Such interdependence means that it is hard to precisely delineate, much less quantify, any one individual’s contribution, even that of the most senior manager, to a firm’s performance.

Great Men, great pay? Why CEO compensation is sky high. - The Washington Post

Old 11-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
and Steve Jobs as CEO of Apple paid himself $1 a year.
Steve Jobs was not an idiot - his $1 salary was all about PR. His Pixar deal alone netted him $5 Billion.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Sure, but with average Fortune 500 salaries being reported at about $20.7 million apiece, even when some of those companies are doing poorly and the CEOs will be soon be canned... and keep big severance packages in most cases... the only correlation some researchers can find is between compensation and executive egos.

I think we're overdue for a market correction, starting with some stockholder lawsuits demanding proper justification for ungodly high pay levels.

And the public needs to be more insistent about demanding justification for ungodly low pay levels for the bottom tier of employees, who are actually producing value which can be documented.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:01 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You've got to do some soul searching Wink and how you got yourself in this situation. It is practically impossible for anyone with a college degree and skills to be unemployed in Hawaii - let alone laid off.

Clearly after 2 rounds, Hawaii is not meant to be.
Can this "after 2 rounds" ... "not meant to be" nonsense. I don't believe in fate and things being "meant to be". Save it for the spiritual dreamer types.

I have 2 good jobs I'm waiting to hear back from that I have a good chances with.

My employer laid me off most likely because I tried to get them to fix the awful new website I was testing. It turned out that the site was created by the owner's stepdaughter, so he refused to see the serious usability issues. We're talking 5 levels of tabs in some places, and pages upon pages of text. No client or potential client wants to see that crap and it's very bad for business. He's Indian so his values are different from ours-- Constructive criticism isn't valued in Indian culture, which is why you often hear from people working with Indian programmers that they'll always tell you want to hear.

My neighbor is a wedding photographer so when he heard, he gave me a part time job testing his site and sorting his photos. I've also gotten a couple of interviews by telling them why I got laid off. My career is probably in better shape now than it was before but it takes time to get hired, especially when employers are relying on government contracts.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:10 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Wink - Sorry to hear of your predicament. All the online sparring and kidding aside, there are real people here behind the screen personas who may be able to help in some way, with suggestions, leads, encouragement, etc. It's probably best if you start a new thread for the purpose, but let us know what you need, or how we can help. For starters, don't give up on your UI claim, even if you feel discouraged.

Two suggestions occurred to me, may have already occurred to you, but FWIW... have you contacted your former Maui employer, union, boss, coworkers about possible job openings now? As long as you are eligible for rehire that can be a productive route for finding work.

Also, have you carefully read the Hawai'i Unemployment Handbook to be sure you are following everything you need to do? You should know it inside and out, especially since they are fighting you on the claim. For example, since you are working part time, I see they say that once you've filed a claim, even before you receive any benefits are paid out, you are required to file weekly statements on your income. If you don't, that can invalidate your claim, at least partially. If you haven't already read it, here's the link. Unemployment Insurance | Handbook on Unemployment Benefits

Don't forget, lead with Aloha. A smile and a friendly manner never hurts, and often helps. UI people are accustomed to dealing with angry and upset people, but don't show up as one of those. You'll get more traction with polite, reasonable behavior. Be knowlegable, be firm, be insistent, but be nice.

Good luck.
2 issues with unemployment-- My business and the job I had in Houston. It took them 2 weeks to get everything filed regarding the business. In Houston I was misclassified as a contractor so when the state of Hawaii contacted the employment office in Texas they had to investigate. Of course that job paid nothing into the unemployment system. That alone is a significant delay. That's why I'm at 5 weeks and probably won't get anything for another few weeks.

I'm very nice to the ladies at the state and they're nice to me. They're basically very friendly aunties, which is probably unique among all states.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 11-01-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Can this "after 2 rounds" ... "not meant to be" nonsense. I don't believe in fate and things being "meant to be". Save it for the spiritual dreamer types.

I have 2 good jobs I'm waiting to hear back from that I have a good chances with.

My employer laid me off most likely because I tried to get them to fix the awful new website I was testing. It turned out that the site was created by the owner's stepdaughter, so he refused to see the serious usability issues. We're talking 5 levels of tabs in some places, and pages upon pages of text. No client or potential client wants to see that crap and it's very bad for business. He's Indian so his values are different from ours-- Constructive criticism isn't valued in Indian culture, which is why you often hear from people working with Indian programmers that they'll always tell you want to hear.
I tried the nice approach - and that is why nice is weak.

Anyway, I'm not religious.

So, to be more blunt. You are a misfit in Hawaii.

Your employer laid you off because you sound discriminatory and disruptive.

They probably wanted you to do the job you were hired for. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii