Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM

97 posts, read 279,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Here look at it in a different way, instead of blaming it on the market when the truth is there is no such thing as a market but our own collective value system. Why do we not value lower or middle class workers in our market wages? Has being a CEO any different then being a CEO 20+ years ago? Is there new technology knowledge that is required to be a CEO? But the market can bear paying crazy amounts in salary and rising evey year to a few people, sometimes paying double digit million dollar marks. But we argue raising middle and lower class wages a few $s
Lower or middle class workers and CEO's participate in the exact same dynamics. Whether you agree or not with the levels of executive compensation, the laws of supply and demand are at work. There's nothing to "blame", it's just the way it is.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
Lower or middle class workers and CEO's participate in the exact same dynamics. Whether you agree or not with the levels of executive compensation, the laws of supply and demand are at work. There's nothing to "blame", it's just the way it is.
Exactly. And while I do believe it's important to address root causes for "the way it is," and working to correct systemic inequalities, I'm personally most attuned to the old Buddhist saying that "talk doesn't cook the rice."

In other words, discussing the whys and wherefores of executive compensation does absolutely nothing in the here and now for the person currently disadvantaged by the system.

I 'm more interested, personally, in providing practical assistance to people living on the edge though no fault of their own.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-05-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 08:33 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Exactly. And while I do believe it's important to address root causes for "the way it is," and working to correct systemic inequalities, I'm personally most attuned to the old Buddhist saying that "talk doesn't cook the rice."

In other words, discussing the whys and wherefores of executive compensation does absolutely nothing in the here and now for the person currently disadvantaged by the system.

I 'm more interested, personally, in providing some practical assistance to people living on the edge though no fault of their own.

I agree with you 100% and I love the Buddhist quote.

I know one thing for sure....you can take 100% of the money away from all the wealthy people in the country and give every cent to the poor and in a few years, the poor will be poor again and the previously rich will rich again.

I am sure there are some here that that statement will baffle their minds and they will start to come up with their reasons to blame....but that is a fact. You cannot help people by taking from one and giving to another.

We, as a country, need to evaluate homeless and see why they are homeless and what their needs are. Mentally ill who need help? Drug addicts who need rehab? Guy who lost his job and couldn't pay bills and ended up on streets and just needs a job? Or are they lazy and would rather just hang out and hold a sign for handouts? Are they a Vet who has PTSD and needs therapy? Or my favorite......the one who just thinks that everyone owes them and they can just steal from eveyone else so they are a criminal now. Arrest them all, evaluate them and get them the help they need based on their situation.

We as a society have failed when we let this go on. No one in America should be homeless. Maybe we need to start taking care of Americans and quit caring for people from all over the world first. Once we have solved our own homeless problems, then we can help others. But we have a lot of problems to deal with here in the US first.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:29 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

I 'm more interested, personally, in providing some practical assistance to people living on the edge though no fault of their own.
Your doing it again but thats ok. Your welcome to poo poo the issue away. The reason why we have homeless in the riches country is the same reason why we feel its crazy to raise our wages to liveable wages for our lower and middle class workers but will pay our executives 300x the value we pay others. The reason being is we believe a rich person is morally superior. Economics in our country is associatted with value and morality of a person. No opertunity or privilege really is factored.

To ignore root causes is to just be foolish. Any action will be in vain and just a band aid. But i also agree bringing practical solutions in the current is better then doing norhing. But any real lasting solutions will have to come from society. In terms of thinking and value systems.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Your doing it again but thats ok. Your welcome to poo poo the issue away.
Again you blind yourself. Look with fresh eyes...

I actually said "I do believe it's important to address root causes for "the way it is," and working to correct systemic inequalities." It's just not where I personally choose to devote my time and resources.

Feeding a hungry child or providing a safe place for her and her mother to sleep is never merely a band-aid. Even Jesus said "You will always have the poor with you... " That's simply no excuse for not rolling up our sleeves and doing the hard work necessary to provide what's wanted and needed by the least fortunate among us, in the present moment.

You do what you are called to do. I'm called to chop onions, peel potatoes, serve dinners, collect and wash clothes and bedding, provide rides, and work to rehab old dwelling spaces for the relief of others who haven't enjoyed the benefits I have, and who need the kind of helping hands that were there for me when I needed them most.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-05-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 11:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
@OpenD

Sorry i missread your post. Keep up the good work all valuable services.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:29 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
When the governor of Hawaii announced his plan this week to buy the state's homeless one-way tickets to the continental U.S., it was the latest in a series of efforts aimed at curbing the Aloha State's massive homeless problem.
Low wages and high-priced housing have given Hawaii the third-largest homeless population per capita in the country. More than 7,500 people live on Oahu's streets and beaches, but a large number of them are native Hawaiians and they don't want to go anywhere.

The native communities in Hawaii are often the poorest and border toxic landfills, chemical research facilities, and pesticide test crops. Waianae is Oahu's largest native community and has more homeless than anywhere else in the state.

Business Insider visited Waianae in mid-July and toured the largest tent city there. The following photos offer a glimpse of what life is like for the homeless in Hawaii.

Read more: THE OTHER SIDE OF PARADISE: Inside Hawaii's Giant Homeless Community [PHOTOS] - Business Insider

Old 07-06-2014, 02:29 AM

To be clear, the much publicized and oft ridiculed plan to buy "tickets home for the homeless" was OK'd by the Hawai'i Legislature in the summer of 2013, but never implemented due to Dept. of Health & Human Services objections, and refusal to perform the necessary processing and selection.

Although not well thought out, and never implemented, it was never intended to "deport" native born Hawaiians, but instead to return homeless people to the mainland who had family that would agree to support them if they could get back there, but who had no means to pay for a ticket themselves.

And since it was only going to "remove" perhaps 100 to 200 people a year from the islands, I'd chalk it off to a badly conceived and ineffective PR stunt, rather than a plan that would provide any real change to the homeless issue in Hawai'i.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
When the governor of Hawaii announced his plan this week...
That article you copied is from August 2, 2013, not this week.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Imo, as builders and developers continue to pander to wealthy international buyers and then throw a bone to "workforce housing" in addition to not addressing the illegal vacation rental problem we have a situation where regular people can not afford to live in a 1st world manner. We have one of the highest costs of living, yet one of the lowest average wages in the U S.

Institutional property owners and indiviual secondary home owners help create a situation where THEY make more money renting an illegal unit as opposed to renting it to a local teacher or cop. And our do nothing local government turns a blind eye.

illegal builging on OHA lands? Nothing done. Illegal building on ag land? Nothing done. Illegal short term vacation rental in a residential niegbhoorhood, nothing done.

See a pattern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii