Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

Vegas is not a friendly city, in fact vegas is one of a few cities that has passed the toughest anti homeless laws. Like its against the law there to feed the homeless is one law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
@Op,

Back on topic. Hawaii observed differences from the mainland. How about CDF Hawaii? Here one. Not everyone in Hawaii owns a home or condo, unlike the % of the population that haunts this forum. Heres another, Hawaii isn't a conservative state, 99.9% of the time the state votes democrat and is mostly liberal. Unlike the majority of the population that haunts this forum and the way they talk. Enough said Aloha

Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Vegas is not a friendly city, in fact vegas is one of a few cities that has passed the toughest anti homeless laws.
Not friendly - I don't agree - I was walking the strip last night and these from south of the border were trying to hand me cards with womens phone numbers - they sure seemed friendly to me.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Has the dry humidity in Vegas affected you in anyway, Vipe? We had trouble with Colorado's really dry humidity. Although, I'm guessing Vegas is mostly air conditioned?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Has the dry humidity in Vegas affected you in anyway, Vipe? We had trouble with Colorado's really dry humidity. Although, I'm guessing Vegas is mostly air conditioned?
I spend a lot of time in Colorado/Denver - and the combination of the high altitude/low humidity affects me much more in Denver than Vegas - I don't really notice it in Vegas and I've sometimes gotten nose bleeds in Denver.

Today isn't to bad, high of 100 - nice and sunny, and AC is a must.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
When I am in Vegas I can't seem to get enough water in me no matter what I do. When I go out to eat there, I always ask the waitperson to leave me a pitcher of water so they don't have to walk their legs. Some say they don't mind refilling our glasses. However, after a short while, we end up with a pitcher of water on our table.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Vegas is not a friendly city, in fact vegas is one of a few cities that has passed the toughest anti homeless laws. Like its against the law there to feed the homeless is one law.
But their tough laws are all cosmetic, focused on protecting the tourist industry from seeing or interracting with the bad poor people, not actually doing anything to reduce homelessness. As a result, Clark County, which only has about twice the total population of Honolulu County, has more than 4 times the homeless population.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-11-2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Sante Fe is very flat, very dusty, very dry and artsy, and not all that big by mainland standards, but quite large by Hawaii standards. Most of the buildings are just adobe cubes with no overhanging eaves at all. You'd think they'd want huge eaves to shade the sides of their houses, but apparently, the adobe is supposed to be insulation enough that they don't need the large eaves. Although, there was a lot of building going on and most of the new adobes were actually stick framed buildings with adobe mud on the outside. They will be relying on air conditioning to keep them comfortable in the summer, no doubt. As well as heating in the winter. It seemed to be more of a working type town than the little ones up in the mountains.
Santa Fe is home to a lot of old money, and second home to a lot of old money, which is why so many of the cute little shops in town have nosebleed prices. The reknowned Santa Fe Opera has financial support that puts much larger cities to shame.

But some of the best shopping, in my view, can be found at the town square, in front of the old Governor's house, IIRC, where women of Native Indian heritage spread colorful blankets and sell handmade turquoise and silver jewelry, artwork, handwoven blankets, dried chili ristras, and other native handcrafts. It's like instant time travel back to the late 1800s.

Santa Fe is also famous as the home of Georgia O'Keefe for most of her life, and the place where she painted many of her most iconic works of art. The Georgia O'Keefe Museum is fabulous. Santa Fe, and nearby Taos, are both long established artist colonies, which is one reason why every other store in Santa Fe is an art gallery.

The world famous and mysterious Loretto Chapel, with its "no visible means of support" spiral staircase to the choir loft, was brought to the attention of the American public in the early 1900s by Ripley's "Believe It or Not!" newspaper feature, and has been a tourist magnet ever since. The chapel is now privately owned and embraced by a luxury hotel which I loved staying at, the Loretto Inn. On its ground floor there's a large open bar area, with rounded doorways and windows and fireplace, which was entirely lit by candles the night I was there. The ladies mostly wore a signature Santa Fe look... long sleeved top with frilly collar and cuffs, over a long denim skirt and cowboy boots, and heavy silver and turquoise concho belts on their hips. And there was a live "nuevo flamenco" band playing, and mucho dancing... very romantic!

I was there the week before Christmas, so I was treated to a very special time of year in Santa Fe... the sky was clear and a light scattering of snow wafted around, blowing between the cracks of the traditional "wolf fences," made of tightly woven tree branches. The lighted "luminarias" lining many of the sidewalks and rooftops, modern electrical reproductions of the traditional candle-in-a-brown-bag, gave a festive air to the town. By the glow from the golden lights adorning all the trees... not the usual white Christmas lights you see elsewhere, but a gorgeous deep golden color... gave a glow to the whole central area that was simply magical. Unforgettable!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Biggest difference from the mainland: Slippas!

I know "flip flops" have become more fashionable over the years and I love 'em, but people on the island wear them in places (I think) most people won't, like riding skateboards/bicycles/scooters/motorcycles, running, playing basketball, etc.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Biggest difference from the mainland: Slippas!

I know "flip flops" have become more fashionable over the years and I love 'em, but people on the island wear them in places (I think) most people won't, like riding skateboards/bicycles/scooters/motorcycles, running, playing basketball, etc.
and Weddings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: