Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

Lanai actually isn't very remote, it's just hard to get to. Well, actually, you can fly there like everything else, just not as often nor as conveniently. But it's not really big enough to have anything that's actually all that remote, really.

Oahu is too crowded to find "remote". Kauai has some remote spots that you can hide in, although overall it's an expensive island. There's places to hide on Molokai although not too many. Maui has a few jungles you can get lost in. Niihau you can't go to. Kohoolawe got itself bombed to flatness courtesy of the US government so no living there. That pretty much leaves the island of Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I guess I'm not surprised about that comment about my last post! Not many people give young people long term plan advise in life.
If you are going to give out unasked for advice, you really should learn to spell the word advice correctly. You must have already misspelled it here 100 times.

There, how does that feel? I just gave you some advice, accurate and well meaning, but totally unrequested. Annoying, wasn't it?

That's the central issue with giving people advice they haven't asked for. It annoys them, turns them off, puts them on the defensive, and rarely makes any difference at all. That's just basic human nature at work.

But you keep handing out unasked for financial advice here, arguably completely off topic in most cases, despite a lack of evidence that anybody pays any attention to it, and in the face of people rejecting it as boring or saying it's irrelevant to their current lives.

If you ask me... and yeah, I realize you didn't ask me... I'd give your financial/investment evangelism a rest now. Honestly, it just doesn't really seem to matter to any of the people who check in here to ask questions about living in Hawai'i.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you are going to give out unasked for advice, you really should learn to spell the word advice correctly. You must have already misspelled it here 100 times.

There, how does that feel? I just gave you some advice, accurate and well meaning, but totally unrequested. Annoying, wasn't it?

That's the central issue with giving people advice they haven't asked for. It annoys them, turns them off, puts them on the defensive, and rarely makes any difference at all. That's just basic human nature at work.

But you keep handing out unasked for financial advice here, arguably completely off topic in most cases, despite a lack of evidence that anybody pays any attention to it, and in the face of people rejecting it as boring or saying it's irrelevant to their current lives.

If you ask me... and yeah, I realize you didn't ask me... I'd give your financial/investment evangelism a rest now. Honestly, it just doesn't really seem to matter to any of the people who check in here to ask questions about living in Hawai'i.
Sorry about the spelling problem with word "advice". However, you apparently still understood the word, even though the spelling wasn't correct!

I don't know how anyone can expect to live in one of the most expensive places in the US without having an income and resources to support living there. In this case, they want to move to Hawaii but cannot afford to visit, not even once. What happens if there an an unexpected expenses? What happens if there is a medical problem? Of course, they could move there anyway, without ever visiting, perhaps work in a kitchen cooking or washing dishes, or some other low pay, no benefits job, if they can even find a job. What happens when the money runs out? Either they will likely be homeless or just one step away from being homeless and despair.

I've never been homeless, and I expect I will never become homeless. I suspect that a homeless, impoverished person has a pretty boring life. Sitting or laying around all day, eating out of garbage cans, collecting soda cans for a little spending money, or perhaps committing petty crimes for a little money, waiting for the next hit to try to make them forget their troubles while they mark time waiting to die.

I don't know how advice can be given about living in Hawaii if a person doesn't have the financial resources that are needed.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM

569 posts, read 780,206 times
Dave,
I was just having fun with you on that previous comment, so please don't read too much into it.

As I've said before, I agree with most of your advice and have shared my own views on being on the value of personal fiscal responsibility. (Given that I've worked in the financial services industry for over 25 years, it would be hypocritical for me not to.) I disagree with your suggestion that people here don't bring financial realities to their posts. I see lots of "You need to save more before moving here" and "you're not going to be able to afford that" comments here.

I think what OpenD was driving at is the heavy-handed approach you to take with your message. Your passion on the subject is clear, but you have to remember that in an environment where no one knows you, your background, qualifications, etc., an alarmist attitude is just as likely to be seen as a little a little much as it is to be taken seriously. (These aren't your kids asking questions here, they don't have to listen to you. )

I think if you can share your advice with more of a helpful tone and less that of a lecture, it's more likely to be heeded. Also, something investment advisors learn early is that people have different risk tolerances, so financial advice isn't one size fits all. There are going to be people who will say, "That risk doesn't sound bad" on things you and I would say "That's nuts!".

Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Dave,
I was just having fun with you on that previous comment, so please don't read too much into it.

As I've said before, I agree with most of your advice and have shared my own views on being on the value of personal fiscal responsibility. (Given that I've worked in the financial services industry for over 25 years, it would be hypocritical for me not to.) I disagree with your suggestion that people here don't bring financial realities to their posts. I see lots of "You need to save more before moving here" and "you're not going to be able to afford that" comments here.

I think what OpenD was driving at is the heavy-handed approach you to take with your message. Your passion on the subject is clear, but you have to remember that in an environment where no one knows you, your background, qualifications, etc., an alarmist attitude is just as likely to be seen as a little a little much as it is to be taken seriously. (These aren't your kids asking questions here, they don't have to listen to you. )

I think if you can share your advice with more of a helpful tone and less that of a lecture, it's more likely to be heeded. Also, something investment advisors learn early is that people have different risk tolerances, so financial advice isn't one size fits all. There are going to be people who will say, "That risk doesn't sound bad" on things you and I would say "That's nuts!".
I thought what you said in your previous comment was funny! Sometimes I do sound like a broken record. I don't mean to be too heavy handed about it. But I'd like to do my part to stop a "train wreck" from occurring!

Most of my wife side of the family came over to the US from Vietnam later in life in their late 20s. At the time they knew almost no English. Their brother came to the US earlier and was one of the "boat people". Trying escape Vietnam being a boat person was very dangerous since you could be viciously killed by pirates. Their brother, my brother in law, went to college and obtained a pHD, and is a professor at a university. When my wife's side of the family came over to the US, they though they would have happy lives working as a janitor, or something along those lines. That was a drastically better life than they would have had in Vietnam. Their brother did not simply advise them what to do, he told them what to do and they did it! All went into IT, except for one into medical technology, which later also went into IT. Some of them were not very good trying to learn IT, but they struggled long hours, seven days a week, no partying for them. My wife was asked why she wanted to go into IT when she struggled so much. She told them it was because that was where high paying jobs were.

Now, when they look back at it, it was a struggle for them, but they all have high incomes now, far above the medium income level, all because they were willing to do what it took to get ahead. They were surprised to see people that were born in the US, with all the advantages in life that they didn't have, just floating through school, taking easy courses, partying a lot, and eventually many of them not amounting to much in life. I was one of those lazy people in school, not amounting to much, till later in life, when I applied the same principles to get ahead in life. If I had a mentor like they did, I would have done much better and would already be retired.

That's just a little backstory on how people don't have to settle for living on the edge, always broke, saving nothing or next to nothing for retirement. But when it comes to moving to Hawaii, I've heard the same thing from many people, that the cost of living is very high. The statistics verify that to be absolutely true. It was a price shocker buying produce at grocery stores. Although the farmer's markets were a little bit cheaper. It was painful at the gas pump, but less painful since we have a Costco membership. We didn't feel the pain paying for electricity, at least not directly. So, you have to prepare yourself to have a good outcome, by choosing the right career where you can earn enough money for your move to be successful. Otherwise, it will just amount one more sad story that someone to tell where they couldn't afford to live in Hawaii and had to return back to the mainland to a place they could afford to live.

The OP may be able to move to Hawaii in the future, they just aren't ready yet. They need to do more research, save much more money, and visit Hawaii several times to make sure it's right for them. They might discover that Hawaii isn't right for them, since it's very different in person than looking at it from a distance on the Internet. Maybe after a visit or two they will want to move to Hawaii and might be willing to do what it takes to make it happen.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I thought what you said in your previous comment was funny! Sometimes I do sound like a broken record. I don't mean to be too heavy handed about it. But I'd like to do my part to stop a "train wreck" from occurring!
Nobody is questioning your motives, nor even the wisdom of what you have to offer. It seems to me that you're one of the good guys here, and that you're entirely well-meaning. But take a look at what you are doing right now, in this thread, in the face of being given advice you didn't ask for... you are dodging and deflecting what has been said, justifying your position, and generally avoiding absorbing the central message.

That's normal, and that's why your approach just doesn't work. People don't want to hear advice they didn't ask for. Psychologically speaking, unrequested advice occurs for people as an attempt to dominate them and make them wrong for their choices. Think "scolding parent," no matter how nicely you put it.

To me it seems that what you are doing with your overblown retirement/investment advice is not unlike a religious evangelist standing in the middle of a busy sidewalk shoving religious tracts at passersby and insisting that they listen to unsolicited sermonizing. But it's not what people are looking for or want shoved in their face, so they typically brush it aside and keep going.

Sure, most of us here have said at one time or another that if someone doesn't have the money to at least visit Hawai'i before they make a decision to move they can't afford to live here, or that a particular career choice is unlikely to support them in Hawai'i, but perhaps two or three sentences on that topic is more than sufficient, and still appropriate to the format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii