Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 02:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've been reading posts about Hilo - generally along the lines of, yeah - we get a lot of rain, mostly in the morning, and the sun will come out, and then some rain in the afternoon. And I generally shake my head at that - I've probably spent at least 150 days in Hilo and about 100 nights. In my mind, I see the sun less than half the time at any time during the day - but rather than guess, I thought I'd look it up.

This below should guide and sunshine and rainfall statistics for visiting or moving.

Annual Days of Sunshine in Hawaii - Current Results

Hilo: 36 sunny days, 132 partly sunny days, 168 Total Days with Sun. 41% yearly sunshine.
Honolulu: 90 sunny days, 181 partly sunny days, 271 Total Days with Sun. 71% yearly sunshine.
Kahului: 131 sunny days, 145 partly sunny days, 276 Total Days with Sun. 67% yearly sunshine.
Lihue: 56 sunny days, 184 partly sunny days, 240 Total Days with Sun. 59% yearly sunshine.

Note, yearly sunshine measures measure percent of sun between sunrise and sunset that reaches the ground.

Rainfall:

Yearly Rainfall Averages in Hawaii - Current Results

Hilo: 272 days of rain and 126 inches per year (compared to 18 in Kailua-Kona)
Lihue: 195 days of rain and 37 inches per year
Kahului: 95 days of rain and 17 inches per year
Honolulu: 89 days of rain and 17 inches per year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Lately, I've been reading posts about Hilo - generally along the lines of, yeah - we get a lot of rain, mostly in the morning, and the sun will come out, and then some rain in the afternoon. And I generally shake my head at that - I've probably spent at least 150 days in Hilo and about 100 nights. In my mind, I see the sun less than half the time at any time during the day - but rather than guess, I thought I'd look it up.
Yeah, but interpretation is everything, and your wholesale disdain for the Big Island in general and Hilo in particular is very well documented by now, so it's no surprise you've looked for and found another way to criticize a place you just really don't like. Why you feel the need is beyond me.

Just remember, different strokes for different folks, folks, and not everyone sees it the way viper does.

Personally, I find that annual average statistics don't paint nearly as understandable a portrait as do the historical tracking of daily statistics, such as the ones you can find here in the CDF town profiles.

And then there is the critical factor that people have different experiences of the same things, as well as the fact that numbers alone don't usually catch all the nuances of a complex reality. For tourists, i think it's more important to look at a snapshot of the typical weather pattern at the time of year you plan to visit. Remember the guy last winter who was absolutely gobsmacked that he's planned his trip to Maui at the very peak of the rainy sean, and then got a lot of rain? It just hadn't occurred to him to check.

Seattle charts out as having less rain and more sunny days than Hilo and Puna District, but I found year in and year out living in Seattle to be more grey and depressing... to ME... than Hilo. And a big part of that is that Seattle can just drizzle and drizzle for days, while Hilo tends more to just dump it and then clear, over and over. Then the sunbeams punch through and you get the rainbows, and wow! It's a completely different experience. To ME.

Your mileage may vary, obviously.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-28-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
while Hilo tends more to just dump it and then clear, over and over. Then the sunbeams punch through and you get the rainbows, and wow!
What is lost on you again - and a desire to spread more false information, is that it is not a true statement of "tends to just dump and clear". It doesn't tend to do that - not even close.

I at least provide concrete data to support this misinformation campaign - but you want to keep putting lipstick on a pig and hope it wins a beauty contest.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Are you at it again viper? We gave you the title of big moke already what more do you want. All else aside. I bet that you didn't calculate that because Hilo rains the most that it will be cleaner and greener then Honolulu. Im a Oahu boi myself but i remember honolulu being mostly that heavy misty rain that you can wear a tshirt in and be ok with it. I bet its a different type of rain on average in Hilo? Anyway

Howzit OpenD and Whtviper1? Hope everything is good.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I bet that you didn't calculate that because Hilo rains the most that it will be cleaner and greener then Honolulu.
This article sums it up nicely.

"The association’s “State of the Air 2013” report card gave Hawaii County an “F” despite a decrease in the number of days with unhealthy particle pollution — from 23.5 days in 2012 to 12.5 this year. Particle pollution is a mix of very tiny solid and liquid particles in the air. If they’re small enough, they can stay in the air for long periods, Businger said."

Vog gives Hawaii island a failing grade for air quality - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"Honolulu is the only county in the state that collected data on ozone levels. There were no days of unhealthy levels of ozone, or smog, which is the most widespread air pollutant."

Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
What is lost on you again - and a desire to spread more false information, is that it is not a true statement of "tends to just dump and clear". It doesn't tend to do that - not even close.
It's not just me that says that, or that has in the past, for years before you even joined the forum. But you pretty much stand alone in denying it.

Quote:
I at least provide concrete data to support this misinformation campaign
I've always been able to back up what I say here, and I just pointed to data in the City Data profiles that is more detailed than what you supplied.

Quote:
... but you want to keep putting lipstick on a pig and hope it wins a beauty contest.
And here is where you show your true colors.

Some of us love Hilo. I mean really, truly love Hilo. Obviously you don't. Oh, well. Time to give it a rest.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
This article sums it up nicely...
Actually, this is just a rerun of something you posted in an earlier thread, and as usual it displays a desire to dominate and be right, rather than a desire to be truthful or accurate.

I mean, seriously, why else even start this thread out of the blue?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
This article sums it up nicely.

"The association’s “State of the Air 2013” report card gave Hawaii County an “F” despite a decrease in the number of days with unhealthy particle pollution — from 23.5 days in 2012 to 12.5 this year. Particle pollution is a mix of very tiny solid and liquid particles in the air. If they’re small enough, they can stay in the air for long periods, Businger said."

Vog gives Hawaii island a failing grade for air quality - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"Honolulu is the only county in the state that collected data on ozone levels. There were no days of unhealthy levels of ozone, or smog, which is the most widespread air pollutant."
Well count your blessings that diamond head isnt active and that tourism has pretty much replaced agriculture in oahu so no crops to burn etc.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

I mean, seriously, why else even start this thread out of the blue?
It wasn't out of the blue - you put out a lot of false information and it is easy to prove. Even if facts you want to say otherwise even though it clearly isn't true.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
It wasn't out of the blue - you put out a lot of false information and it is easy to prove.
To the contrary, you have proved nothing, except that you have a snarky, negative outlook on life and can't stand being wrong.

To me the glass is half full, and I love life. And I'm convinced it's the better way. Obviously YMMV.

Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii