Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:51 PM

521 posts, read 732,833 times

Advertisements

I have to ask all of you on CD since I haven't found anyone in person with this issue. My husband and I moved to Kauai about 13 months ago and since moving I have felt much worse physically. We moved from Southern California where I always had a lot of energy and was overall healthy. Since being here I feel so lethargic and drained all the time. Also have developed bad allergies and asthma, which I have no personal or family history of. It's frustrating because all I hear is how everyone seems to feel great, lose weight, energetic, etc. after moving here. The allergist I saw on the mainland said "it doesn't look like Kauai is working out for you." This is very depressing since it was such a long dream and plan to get here. But also may be a deal breaker if I feel crappy all the time.
Just wondering if anyone else felt this way initially and then acclimated to the climate changes, or if everyone felt the same/better after moving to Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 04:16 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Hawaii is by far one of the worst places for those who suffer from allergies. Just look around you, there are flowers everywhere, and many of them are in bloom year round. If you're allergic, all of that pollen can't be doing you any good. A few years ago, when I was living both on Maui and on Oahu, my allergies would get so bad on Maui that I would actually run a low grade fever. However, once I got to Honolulu all the symptoms would disappear within an hour or two. This only lasted for a year or so, and then somehow went away on it's own. Keep in mind, the problem didn't really manifest itself until I had already lived here for over 15 years. Get out on the water, see if your condition changes.

Aloha

Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
A lot of people have these issues, but not limited to just Hawaii. For whatever reasons, people will not acclimate to specific areas around the globe. Could be climate, environment, diet, etc.

People think places will change their lifestyles or personalities, often places never do. Sometimes people choose to be the way they are.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
I had an opposite experience, when i moved to the mainland. I started having breathing and heath issues and depression. I had a friend who had major major health issues that moved to the big island. When my friend lived there her health issues startted clearing up. If your a spiritual person? You will know that the aina has a healing energy to it. There are places of real healing power in Hawaii. If you ever get some time? Read up on Hawaii Folklore. Alot of good talkstories on the mana of the islands.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
The allergist I saw on the mainland said "it doesn't look like Kauai is working out for you." This is very depressing since it was such a long dream and plan to get here. But also may be a deal breaker if I feel crappy all the time.

Just wondering if anyone else felt this way initially and then acclimated to the climate changes, or if everyone felt the same/better after moving to Hawaii.
I hate to say it, but some people really do feel worse after moving to Hawai'i. If anything, it's an issue that can get worse over time. I wouldn't call it common, but it does happen.

There are just lots and lots of things to react to and develop allergies to that your system has likely never encountered before, including many kinds of mold and year-round pollen and dust.

My only suggestion is to try to find a Hawaiian allergist to work with, who is more familiar with the specific challenges people face in the islands.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I've lost count how many sick days are used by employees when we have a "vog" days - I have zero impact, for others it seems pretty awful - or they just want a day off.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 PM

521 posts, read 732,833 times
Thank you! Yes it is really strange especially since my husband is not at all affected and feels great. Working with a local allergist does sound like a good idea. At the time there was a 6 month wait so I just went to the mainland. The water does seem to help too. I tend to feel better after a swim. Can anyone recommend an allergist here? Thank you again!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
Is there any chance your home has mold - around a leaking A/C, behind bathroom walls, in air ducts (you'll know it's in the air ducts if you feel worse every time the A/C comes on)? You could be more sensitive to it than he is. You could get your home tested to be sure with a mold inspection, if you feel worse in your home than when are away from it for a few days.

If so, getting the mold professionally removed and then adding an industrial dehumidifier could eliminate the problem. I suggest this only because you moved from a much drier climate to a very wet one, and that is a common issue that happens to many people who go through a similar climate change from dry to wet.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Yup, I have impaired lungs and find VOG to be miserable when it settles in. I live on the west side (Oahu), and it seems we have more VOG more often than when we lived on the east side.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Could it be the difference in altitude? What part of CA did you live in? If you lived in a mountainous part of CA and then move to Hawaii, the difference in altitude will affect your breathing for a period of time, thereby possibly causing you fatigue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: