Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM

849 posts, read 3,535,640 times

Advertisements

need some new info 'cause y'all got us pretty much convinced that Honolulu isn't for us. I also think from what I've been reading, darling daughter is in for a shock when she hits Puna in a couple of weeks. She's hoping for a better life on less money. We've decided to see how they do for a few mos. before making our move but if they're ok, I think we'll jus tjump in and not spend over 3K on an exploration.
I'm not sure we could handle Hilo but if they make Puna work or decide to stay but move closer to Hilo we can try it for a few weeks. Kona could work. The only place I really see myself is Maui but I know it's expensive and we need to know about jobs in both areas. We're willing to adapt if necessary. We can't bear the idea of being this far away. We are looking at a very modest rental that would take our INDOOR kitties (do the centis really not harm them?) and honest work that would pay the necessities.
My husband isn't deterred by comments about the school system. We have heard them in every place we've lived. He just has to get his credentials in order for HI and might need to be near one of the Univs. for that. But he's willing to sub every day. We know that Honolulu pays subs $136/day. Can check with other districts but am curious. Is there a need on a daily basis? Where we are now, if I could clone him, he could sub in 3-4 classes most days.

Considered going half way like to Phoenix but would rather deal with centipedes than coyotes and snakes. Don't particularly want to live in a sprawl of roads and strip malls either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 AM

501 posts, read 1,196,466 times
We lived in Aiea, which is a suburb of Honolulu. Nice area, but Hawaii is expensive! We moved there from Dallas (for work)...pay is nothing like on the mainland, and you have to deal with lots of tourists, everywhere. Although Hawaii has highways, traffic is a pain because nobody drives normal. It's all "Hawaii Time", which is living aloha and taking in the beautiful scenery. We paid $1500/mo rent for a small 729 sq ft 2/2 apartment on the 17th floor. We had a nice view, but it was quite a drastic change from our 5 bedroom home we left in Dallas. I loved the year we spent there, but I wish we had the funds to move to another island and see if housing was so costly and if pay was any better. That was the only reason we moved back...we simply couldn't afford it. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:26 PM

203 posts, read 1,359,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
need some new info 'cause y'all got us pretty much convinced that Honolulu isn't for us. I also think from what I've been reading, darling daughter is in for a shock when she hits Puna in a couple of weeks. She's hoping for a better life on less money. We've decided to see how they do for a few mos. before making our move but if they're ok, I think we'll jus tjump in and not spend over 3K on an exploration.
I'm not sure we could handle Hilo but if they make Puna work or decide to stay but move closer to Hilo we can try it for a few weeks. Kona could work. The only place I really see myself is Maui but I know it's expensive and we need to know about jobs in both areas. We're willing to adapt if necessary. We can't bear the idea of being this far away. We are looking at a very modest rental that would take our INDOOR kitties (do the centis really not harm them?) and honest work that would pay the necessities.
My husband isn't deterred by comments about the school system. We have heard them in every place we've lived. He just has to get his credentials in order for HI and might need to be near one of the Univs. for that. But he's willing to sub every day. We know that Honolulu pays subs $136/day. Can check with other districts but am curious. Is there a need on a daily basis? Where we are now, if I could clone him, he could sub in 3-4 classes most days.

Considered going half way like to Phoenix but would rather deal with centipedes than coyotes and snakes. Don't particularly want to live in a sprawl of roads and strip malls either.
Well if you live in Puna and you commute to Hilo as most do, you will need a vehicle. Kona side is much more expensive than the Hilo side of the island. Honestly if you aren't rich retiree types, I'd say Hilo town would be your best bet. Fairly large town (41,000), a lot of stores and options for various things, and it's very old looking and cute. But, it's more expensive than Puna. But being that it's a lot more residential, I'd guess there would be a lot less bugs. And coqui.

Kona town housing rentals range from around 1500-2500 and beyond (though there are cheaper condos and ohanas). I've seen Hilo town rentals from 700 (small cottage/ohana) - 1700 on the more affordable end. Puna from 500 (small cottage/ohana type) - 1200 on the more affordable end. You should check out Hawaii tribune herald or West Hawaii daily classifieds. Craigslist has some good ones, but most seem a bit inflated compared to the newspapers.

(all of what I've written is from my personal experience/research)You mileage may vary

Thought this cottage in Hilo was quite cute

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/apa/511557518.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii