Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

Ah, I dunno, "hale manini"? Pidgin might be "choke da kine hale smash t'gather".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I would expect this is an example of widely differing world views. Basically, I'd say traditionally Hawaiians are very family oriented, not so much structure oriented.

Hale is "house" not necessarily "home". In common usage English, "home" denotes the place where you live and it is commonly a house, although not always. However in English, the word "home" is more about the structure than the relationships. Hawaiians are probably more likely to use the word "ohana" to mean "home" although it is more people based than structure based. I'm thinking "village" could also denote "home" since it's again a people based outlook.

But, Hawaiian is not a language I'm fluent in, so we need to wait for Jonah to chime in.
But the song mentioned by JungJohann is about the singer's home as in the area he's from, so the Hawaiian word would be better. That word might be the word for "village"

Old 09-10-2014, 01:19 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
The first Hawaiian-English dictionary was published in 1836. All of the 5000 plus words listed were pre-contact words, that is, none of the words defined had as of yet to be impacted by the English language. A more refined dictionary, with additional words and some attempts at simplifying pronunciation was published in 1865 or so. The word 'Home' as in the Hawaiian word, doesn't show up in any dictionary until Judd, Pukui and Stokes in 1952, and it may not have even appeared in the first addition. (You'd have to ask OD to verify that, personally, I can't vouch for the reliability of any data pre 1950 first hand). It is not a 'native' Hawaiian word, which is why it doesn't appear in the earlier dictionaries.

Uuurrrrpppp

Old 09-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Good, so we know for a fact that it's a loan word. I wonder if the folks writing songs etc know that. It seems obvious but maybe they don't put any thought into it and just accept that "home" means "home"? Otherwise why bother using Hawaiian language at all?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Now for another question. Is "o" which means "of" also a loanword?

Old 09-10-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Now for another question. Is "o" which means "of" also a loanword?
Nope, prepositions pre-dated Captain Cook. Propositions was an entirely different matter.

'I dare say, how about I give you that cannon for that little piece of land over there??? You know, the one with all the mosquitoes and nasty swamps around it. Can't be much bloody good for anything.'

And, so Waikiki was borrowed. For the long haul.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
The word 'Home' as in the Hawaiian word, doesn't show up in any dictionary until Judd, Pukui and Stokes in 1952, and it may not have even appeared in the first addition. (You'd have to ask OD to verify that, personally, I can't vouch for the reliability of any data pre 1950 first hand).
JJ, you do surprisingly well for such a young fella, but I'm afraid I can't help you on this one. I just discovered that somebody borrowed my first edition of Judd, Pukui and Stokes and left the cookbook "Fifty Shades of Gravy" in its place.

FWIW, I have heard condos referred to as Pupuka Hale.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
JJ, you do surprisingly well for such a young fella, but I'm afraid I can't help you on this one. I just discovered that somebody borrowed my first edition of Judd, Pukui and Stokes and left the cookbook "Fifty Shades of Gravy" in its place.

FWIW, I have heard condos referred to as Pupuka Hale.
You must have heard it from a newcomer. Only a newbie would place the modifier prior to the word modified.

As in, Ha'ole pupule

Old 09-10-2014, 03:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You must have heard it from a newcomer. Only a newbie would place the modifier prior to the word modified. As in, Ha'ole pupule
You're right. My bad. I was just confused, thrown off by thinking that Hale Pupuka sounded like a time share development that once offered me a voucher for a free Dolphin Birthing experience if I just attended a brief 4 hour talk about their investment opportunities at their luxurious Kalapana property.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You're right. My bad. I was just confused, thrown off by thinking that Hale Pupuka sounded like a time share development that once offered me a voucher for a free Dolphin Birthing experience if I just attended a brief 4 hour talk about their investment opportunities at their luxurious Kalapana property.

It was an eight hour talk, you didn't miss much. Prince Hanalei was the entertainment. Talk about false advertising

Now I'm starting to miss old Hotel Street. WTF?

a hea ka moe kolohe?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: