Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 11:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times

Advertisements

Here is an extremely interesting article that I just found about Larry Ellison and the island of Lānaʻi.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/ma...waii.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Holy smokes Frosty. No Cliff Notes?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nope! You're gonna have to break out them reading glasses and get to work!

Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Now would be the time for this gentleman to invest the funds needed to be sure all of those cats have been spayed or neutered to start gaining a wee bit of control over the cat population.

I hope he is successful in his adventure and actually does all he said he is going to do for the people who live on the island.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,347,365 times
I couldn't slog through the whole article (who could?), but I assure you, this is basically a work of fiction. My wife's oldest son has been working on that island at the Four Seasons for many years, and trust me, a lot of people are NOT happy about what's going on over there. Yeah, he offers jobs, just like a plantation owner offers land to share croppers. I think what he did over there is just terrible. One can only imagine how much resentment is building up over this guy coming there and buying up everything.

Wee bit of gossip....Captain Kirk practically lives at the hotel there.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

Wee bit of gossip....Captain Kirk practically lives at the hotel there.
Really? I follow him on twitter and he is always tweeting where he is at (and he goes to a lot of places all over the world) - I'm kind of surprised he even has time to go to Lanai.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
I couldn't slog through the whole article (who could?), but I assure you, this is basically a work of fiction.
I thought it was a good read, and not a slog at all. It seemed to me to be surprisingly frank about this "trouble in paradise," without being partisan or overly negative.

Because you didn't read it all, or maybe even much at all... you missed the point entirely. The article is no puff piece, it just starts out sounding a little like that, with the emphasis on Ellison's vision for a sustainable green community. But then the sky darkens...

Quote:
My wife's oldest son has been working on that island at the Four Seasons for many years, and trust me, a lot of people are NOT happy about what's going on over there. Yeah, he offers jobs, just like a plantation owner offers land to share croppers. I think what he did over there is just terrible. One can only imagine how much resentment is building up over this guy coming there and buying up everything.
I don't understand your last comment at all. Murdock owned everything, put it up for sale in one piece, Ellison bought it. Why would right-thinking people resent that?

It could easily have been much worse. Murdock could have made more money by chopping the island up into smaller parcels and selling them off to different developers, and then you would have seen the island become much more like Maui, and all the "little people" could just kiss their pineapple workers' memories goodbye. Or perhaps Disney might have bought it all instead, and developed it into the world's largest resort and theme park. Now Ellison has a vision for a better community which has run into problems in some areas, but apparently more out of management confusion than out of any evil intent. I'd put it in the category of "he bit off more than he can chew."

Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 AM

569 posts, read 780,991 times
From this comment...
Quote:
...a lot of people are NOT happy about what's going on over there.
You confirmed this comment...
Quote:
I couldn't slog through the whole article
That point is made quite clearly in the article, which was actually was well-researched and a really good read for those of us who don't think just spouting our own opinions is the best use of our time.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 AM

401 posts, read 657,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Is that a Hawaii term? It's catchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii