Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

The unlightened ones if they liked it or not. No this is were you have the glorified view of western culture. They knew and didn't care. This is an example colonialistic thinking, that unfortunately still kinda exists today. huh?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-27-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You should get some history books and read about the extreme brutality that occurred pre-European. And I mean extreme brutality. That is the deep and rich traditions that can't be ignored - you've brought it up a lot about Hawaiian brutality - but now you choose to ignore it because it is convenient. That is weak. Or just kind? It is what it is.

Things didn't calm down until the 1800's due to Western contact. It had nothing to do with the people who lived in Hawaii. Read your history.

It is marketing. Very good marketing.
The "aloha spirit" has existed in times of war and in times of extreme brutality; however, some folks needed to be hit over the head to get it. Review the history of the Kānāwai Māmalahoe ("Law of the Splintered Paddle"). Here's a link to a PDF of it…
https://www.hawaii.edu/uhelp/files/L...eredPaddle.pdf

Old 10-27-2014, 12:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Try being a contractor over here. Doesn't take long to come to the conclusion that the 'Aloha Spirit', when referred to as a reason for keeping bid prices down, is just a bunch of BS. Whenever I hear 'Where's your Aloha Spirit?', my first reaction is, 'Just what are you trying to screw me out of?'
Hey JJ, there are always people who will try to manipulate the system for their own benefit. That doesn't mean the principle of Aloha isn't real or isn't valuable. You can still have Aloha in your heart when you say no.

When you think about it, Aloha is a form of the Golden rule... to treat others as you'd like to be treated. And that's why it starts with you... to be kind, to be friendly, to be understanding. That's the way I like to be treated, so that's the way I treat others.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You know everytime the brutal kanaka maoli past is brought up, i can't help but get offended. Not because it wasn't violent? It was. But bringing up what is compared to in history as Hawai'is stone ages or midevil times to justify or ignore current stuff is kinda off. Further, every advanced society had a bloody past.

I agree with you! We should learn from history but judge people of today by their actions, not the actions of their ancestors.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

I agree with you! We should learn from history but judge people of today by their actions, not the actions of their ancestors.
I agree so do we become responsible for the past behavior if the same behaviors of the past never change? Just wondering?

Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You should get some history books and read about the extreme brutality that occurred pre-European. And I mean extreme brutality. That is the deep and rich traditions that can't be ignored - you've brought it up a lot about Hawaiian brutality - but now you choose to ignore it because it is convenient. That is weak. Or just kind? It is what it is.
And it's not what it's not...

The warfare between chiefs and the vertical brutality that was a part of the feudal rule of ancient Hawai'i had nothing to do with the day to day interactions of normal people to each other. They treated each other with love and kindness. See Jonah's references for more on that.

And even after the Europeans came and turned the culture upside down, Aloha Spirit was still the cultural norm. Mark Twain commented on it several time in 1886 in "Letters From Hawai'i."

Ironically, Aloha Spirit is pretty much the polar opposite of cynicism, because experts tell us that cynicism is based in frustration and bitter disappointment. Cynicism is expressed as a sour or suspicious outlook on life, whereas Aloha is based in love and mutual respect and being having with the flow of life. Cynicism has been described as the "death rattle of the soul," while Aloha has been described as "a warm breeze of compassion and love.

I know why one would choose Aloha over cynicism for a tourism marketing campaign. That's pretty obvious to me. But why would one choose cynicism over Aloha for their lifestyle? This is an unfathomable mystery to me.

And that's what OP was getting at when he asked how to bring Aloha Spirit into an environment that is not aligned with it. And I say... be it... live it... manifest it... put it out and you get it back. Not always, not every single time, but the cumulative effect is soooooo much better than the alternative.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

And even after the Europeans came and turned the culture upside down, Aloha Spirit was still the cultural norm.
Except, the "Aloha Spirit" was European made.

Don't be weak and sugarcoat it.

I read this and just want to go ALOHA!

polynesian tribal hawaiian culture and Society

Last edited by whtviper1; 10-27-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Except, the "Aloha Spirit" was European made.
I trust Jonah's version of Hawaiian history over yours.
"Aloha - to learn what is not said, to see what cannot be seen & to know the unknowable."
~ Queen Lili‘uokalani

Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
"Aloha - to learn what is not said, to see what cannot be seen & to know the unknowable."
~ Queen Lili‘uokalani
She's Post-European contact. In case you didn't know.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
~ Queen Lili‘uokalani
Care to decipher that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii