Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Except, the "Aloha Spirit" was European made.

Don't be weak and sugarcoat it.

I read this and just want to go ALOHA!

polynesian tribal hawaiian culture and Society
Apparently, someone forgot that Hawaiians are "Pacific Islanders" and that the so-called "aloha spirit" is not necessarily unique to Hawaiʻi.

Tongans refer to their "aloha spirit" as anga’ fakatonga (the "Tongan way"). Here's a link to an symposium paper that shows how it changed when some Tongans moved to Utah...
http://people.westminstercollege.edu...1/mo_paper.pdf

Maori refer to their "aloha spirit" as āta. Hereʻs a link to a paper that explains it in more detail…
http://www.kaupapamaori.com/assets/ata.pdf

Samoans have the faʻa Samoa (the "Samoan way") which is similar to the "aloha spirit." Hereʻs a link to a dissertation about it…
http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu...pdf?sequence=1

Chamoru have their concept of inafa'maolek...
Inafa’maolek: Striving for Harmony

Considering that the term "aloha spirit" has been misappropriated and distorted by the tourism industry, the term "ke ʻano Hawaiʻi" ("the Hawaiian way") is probably more apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
She's Post-European contact. In case you didn't know.
Of course I know. And the "in case you didn't know. " part is is the very antithesis of Aloha Spirit. There was no need to add that except to be mean. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people didn't add unnecessary friction into other people"s lives? That's what Aloha Spirit is all about... easing the friction. It's a small canoe. Don't make pilikia (trouble).

Although Queen L lived in the post-contact era, she was the living embodiment of Hawaiian culture and language, so Aloha was virtually a sacred word to her.

Jonah knows best, but I think linguists have found that Aloha is one of the oldest words in ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi, the native Hawaiian language. So the concept of Aloha is as Hawaiian as you can get, and it predates both European contact, and American marketing by centuries.

So what does Aloha mean? All of these and more... which to me adds up to "a nicer way to be"
Aloha. 1. Aloha, love, affection, compassion, mercy, sympathy, pity, kindness, sentiment, grace, charity; greeting, salutation, regards; sweetheart, lover, lover, loved one; beloved, loving, kind, compassionate, charitable, lovable; to love, be fond of; to show kindness, mercy, pity, charity, affection; to venerate; to remember with affection; to greet, to hail. Greetings! Hello! Good-by! Farewell! Alas!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
Cut to the chase. 'Aloha spirit' is just a polite way of stating what should obviously be a code of ethics to live by, that code being, 'Don't treat people like sh*t', pretty simple. In the almost 40 years that I've lived in Hawaii, I see that code being broken more and more often. Guess the mainland is starting to rub off. Simple case of over exposure.

Oh well

Hows the 'Aloha spirit' in SoCal for the lawyer crowd?????

Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I agree so do we become responsible for the past behavior if the same behaviors of the past never change? Just wondering?
We are not responsible for things that were done by others in the past, especially if it goes back decades or more and before we were ever born. However, we are responsible for anything that we do or that we let others do in our name.
But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Cut to the chase. 'Aloha spirit' is just a polite way of stating what should obviously be a code of ethics to live by, that code being, 'Don't treat people like sh*t', pretty simple.
I think that no matter what you call it, there are good people almost everywhere. The question is, who is going to be the first to put "Don't treat people like sh*t" on a T-shirt?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,301,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Ironically, Aloha Spirit is pretty much the polar opposite of cynicism, because experts tell us that cynicism is based in frustration and bitter disappointment. Cynicism is expressed as a sour or suspicious outlook on life, whereas Aloha is based in love and mutual respect and being having with the flow of life. Cynicism has been described as the "death rattle of the soul," while Aloha has been described as "a warm breeze of compassion and love.

I know why one would choose Aloha over cynicism for a tourism marketing campaign. That's pretty obvious to me. But why would one choose cynicism over Aloha for their lifestyle? This is an unfathomable mystery to me.

And that's what OP was getting at when he asked how to bring Aloha Spirit into an environment that is not aligned with it. And I say... be it... live it... manifest it... put it out and you get it back. Not always, not every single time, but the cumulative effect is soooooo much better than the alternative.

I like this...

And this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Of course I know. And the "in case you didn't know. " part is is the very antithesis of Aloha Spirit. There was no need to add that except to be mean. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people didn't add unnecessary friction into other people"s lives? That's what Aloha Spirit is all about... easing the friction. It's a small canoe. Don't make pilikia (trouble).

Old 10-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Cut to the chase. 'Aloha spirit' is just a polite way of stating what should obviously be a code of ethics to live by, that code being, 'Don't treat people like sh*t', pretty simple. In the almost 40 years that I've lived in Hawaii, I see that code being broken more and more often. Guess the mainland is starting to rub off. Simple case of over exposure.

Oh well
Actually, the "aloha spirit" is a little more pro-active than simply not treating people poorly. For instance, if folks need help, those with the "aloha spirit" always offer assistance without thought of recompense.

Quote:
Hows the 'Aloha spirit' in SoCal for the lawyer crowd?????
I'll have to ask some of my Hawaiʻi-raised lawyer friends in Southern California -- Iʻm currently in Pāhoa helping some of my neighbors relocate north of the June 27th Kīlauea lava flow.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Actually, the "aloha spirit" is a little more pro-active than simply not treating people poorly. For instance, if folks need help, those with the "aloha spirit" always offer assistance without thought of recompense.
So you're with the ACLU? I've gone above and beyond for family, (hanai), friends, and folks waiting for affordable housing more times than I care to remember.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
So you're with the ACLU? I've gone above and beyond for family, (hanai), friends, and folks waiting for affordable housing more times than I care to remember.
Nope, but I've done plenty of pro bono work over the years for the Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation, the Asian Pacific Legal Center (now called "Asian Americans Advancing Justice"), and a few other groups and individuals. I should probably write a book entitled "Litigating with Aloha."

Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I should probably write a book entitled "Litigating with Aloha."
Lots of luck with that if you end up with Kreuger on the other side Or Jan Apo, unless you're defending a duck.....

Old 10-29-2014, 08:07 PM

10,259 posts, read 15,998,665 times
In the urban Northeast you're probably out of luck. I do live in West Virginia where people tend to be laid back and friendly and things move at a slower pace. Family and church are an important part of life here still unlike in the Northeast. And reading up on Hawaii before my trip another thing I noticed is that in Hawaii its important where you went to high school which is very similar to here cause people always ask that whenever they meet someone knew who is from the same area. People in WV do help each other out and have a sense of community. I actually hear 4 wheeling is very big in Hawaii as well and the best spots are usually accessible only on a 4 wheel drive vehicle like the Waipio Valley or Saddle Road.

I do think the Southeast of the mainland is probably the most culturally similar to Hawaii based on what I've read so far. The Florida Keys is also extremely laid back with a dominant beach/island culture and a very unique ambience though I'm not sure if that technically counts as the mainland. I'll be visiting in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii