Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:55 PM

495 posts, read 611,458 times

Advertisements

I don't think the urban hustle bustle cold drizzling windy November streets of the inner city that lies between New York City and Boston will take my Aloha preaching too seriously.

What are some suggestions from Hawaiians? Want to spread some Aloha into the bustling Rush hour jammed traffic highway beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeep....streets in the cold rainy Rushy atmosphere...where life is pretty rushed and nobody really has enough time to even think of snorkeling and growing pineapples....but rather working 20-hour shifts in corporate lawfirms doing tireless paperwork and stressing that they have cases to submit in drop dead due dates that if not met they will lose $5 billion dollar clients.

Where city workers are living paycheck to paycheck knowing they could be laid off any time at which point they will be evicted and their kids orphaned

Ghetto streets where lower income citizens have rundown city apartments with crime they are held responsible for when the only reason they live in those streets is they can't afford to pay the higher rents or the ex-bohemian rents in gentrified neighborhoods. And poor standards of life quality breeds anguish, distrust, and crime, all a result of low financial resources to begin with.

Or perhaps hawaii has problems of similar proportion and the aloha transcends all these hardships and yes even Newark New Jersey can consume Aloha and South Detroit and inner city New Orleans

Last edited by Ericthebean; 10-25-2014 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 02:36 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Well, Hawaii has all the same problems , but without the cold weather. There are many poor, desperate people here.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:02 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
I don't think the urban hustle bustle cold drizzling windy November streets of the inner city that lies between New York City and Boston will take my Aloha preaching too seriously
I wouldn't either. It's not something to preach as much as it is a way to live your life. It starts with you.

Also, the hustle and bustle of the big city isn't friendly to aloha spirit, which is why you find less of it in Honolulu than you do in the neighbor islands. When you think about it, one of the foundations of Aloha Spirit was the feeling that living on an island it was better not to make enemies, because you'd probably run into that person again. "We're all in the same canoe" But in NYC and Boston and other large cities the operating premise for a lot of people is that you'll probably never see that person again.

Still, if you personally adopt a friendly demeanor, put a big smile on your face and are gentle and kind, you'll improve your immediate environment, and that's what matters most.

Inner city between New York and Boston? Hartford?

Old 10-25-2014, 04:26 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Aloha Spirit

No matter what you call it, it all begins with yourself.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:02 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
In Hawaiʻi, legislators have attempted to codify the "Aloha Spirit" in Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes §5-7.5…
[§5-7.5] The Aloha Spirit.

(a) The Aloha Spirit is the coordination of mind and heart within each person. It brings each person to the self. Each person must think and emote good feelings to others. In the contemplation and presence of the life force, Aloha, the following unuhi laulâ loa (free translation) may be used:

A - Akahai, meaning kindness to be expressed with tenderness;

L - Lōkahi, meaning unity, to be expressed with harmony;

O - ʻOluʻolu, meaning agreeable, to be expressed with pleasantness;

H - Haʻahaʻa, meaning humility, to be expressed with modesty;

A - Ahonui, meaning patience, to be expressed with perseverance.

These are traits of character that express the charm, warmth and sincerity of Hawaii's people. It was the working philosophy of native Hawaiians and was presented as a gift to the people of Hawaiʻi.

Aloha is more than a word of greeting or farewell or a salutation.

Aloha means mutual regard and affection and extends warmth in caring with no obligation in return.

Aloha is the essence of relationships in which each person is important to every other person for collective existence.

Aloha means to hear what is not said, to see what cannot be seen and to know the unknowable.

(b) In exercising their power on behalf of the people and in fulfillment of their responsibilities, obligations and service to the people, the legislature, governor, lieutenant governor, executive officers of each department, the chief justice, associate justices, and judges of the appellate, circuit, and district courts may contemplate and reside with the life force and give consideration to the "Aloha Spirit." [L 1986, c 202, §1]

Ultimately, it boils down to realizing that we are all related to each other and acting accordingly. Of course, there are some relatives that we love, others that we tolerate, and some that we can't stand to be around.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
I really appreciate you sharing that, Jonah. It's quite beautiful, and thought provoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Ultimately, it boils down to realizing that we are all related to each other and acting accordingly.
Yes, exactly. How many of the world's problems might be eased if we all just recognized that simple fact?

Quote:
Of course, there are some relatives that we love, others that we tolerate, and some that we can't stand to be around.
Just like here.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
When we return to our homes say a prayer for peace so we human beings understand that there comes a time and that time needs to be soon for we need to learn to embrace each other's cultures without hatred and the most important thing to gain in this life is this thing us Hawaiians call love or Aloha. So let that be the mantra of your life from this day foward Aloha Akua, Aloha Aina, Aloha Kanaka. Aloha for god, this land and each other, do no harm and always share the goodness in your heart Mahalo.

Charles Ka'upu Jr. Rest in peace Kumu.

For one to live in the aloha spirit, one merely just needs to embrace the culture of Aloha.

An Unknown Elder

For what we feed the most will be the strongest inside of us.

An unknown elder

Old 10-26-2014, 06:39 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
I wouldn't preach anything if I were you. The last thing other people need is someone telling them how to live their lives. It doesn't matter where you live, be respectful of others, unless they give you a reason not to, and treat others how you'd want to be treated. Most of the time it works out fine wherever you live. It's a pretty universal set of values to live by. Some people are comfortable living a faster paced, more anonymous lifestyle in a big city, others are not. Just let them be.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
@WannabeCPA

Not sure who your responding to? Your quote: I wouldn't preach anything if I were you. The last thing other people need is someone telling them how to live their lives. It doesn't matter where you live, be respectful of others, unless they give you a reason not to, and treat others how you'd want to be treated. End quote:

Uhmmm if we believed this golden rules your saying then there wouldn't be any issue of lack of aloha or other issues right?

Your quote: Some people are comfortable living a faster paced, more anonymous lifestyle in a big city, others are not. Just let them be. end quote:

Refer to first quote. Someone had to force there self will on others in the past to be where we are at today. The results, less peace and brotherhood.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:16 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@WannabeCPA

Not sure who your responding to? Your quote: I wouldn't preach anything if I were you. The last thing other people need is someone telling them how to live their lives. It doesn't matter where you live, be respectful of others, unless they give you a reason not to, and treat others how you'd want to be treated. End quote:

Uhmmm if we believed this golden rules your saying then there wouldn't be any issue of lack of aloha or other issues right?

Your quote: Some people are comfortable living a faster paced, more anonymous lifestyle in a big city, others are not. Just let them be. end quote:

Refer to first quote. Someone had to force there self will on others in the past to be where we are at today. The results, less peace and brotherhood.
Usually if people don't address their post to anyone or quote anyone it means they're responding to the OP or just expressing their opinions for anyone to see. I'm not saying that there aren't any problems in Hawaii or anywhere else for that matter. I'm just saying respect others and most of the time it will work out fine. Not sure what you mean when you say "Someone had to force there self will on others in the past to be where we are at today." In big cities things are naturally more fast paced and anonymous than in smaller towns. I also don't know where you get "less peace and brotherhood" from. Not everyone wants to be on a first name basis with everyone else, like in some small towns. I'm just saying everyone has different values and there's no need to try to make someplace like the OP was describing like Hawaii. Of course we can all learn from each other but I don't think the OP should be preaching anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii