Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:37 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't believe most people who make 6-figures would find something about the size of a 2 car garage "comfortable" - maybe "simple" or "minimalistic" but the op didn't imply they wanted that kind of lifestyle.

What people tend to forget, is when someone make more money - they become accustomed to a certain lifestyle - sure, if you make $50,000/year - the 500 sq ft place is what you are accustomed to living in - I can only imagine the thoughts when a girlfriend comes over the first time or coworker comes by - not exactly 6-figure comfortable living for sure.
No doubt but that is not something you or I can answer... it is about tradeoffs and what is important to the OP. Do you want a sweet apartment or more spending cash or more savings. Also, I posted a $1300 unit, you can certainly find nicer and larger places with a $2k budget in those areas.

For sure though, it is important that the OP understand it is not just the cost of housing that is high in Honolulu but the corresponding low quality of that expensive housing as well. Cinder block apartments the size of postage stamps with outdated appliances and no air conditioning are the norm in many places near town. That said, I brought girls back to a shabby walk-up in Moiliili many times, many were impressed that I had my own place and wasn't living with my parents because they, and most of their peers, were still living at home. Most of the locals understand that most everyone is scraping by. Hell, I ended up marrying a local girl so it couldn't have been that much of a turn off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Again, sweating a bit? That doesn't sound comfortable at all.......

No cable?

Maybe minimalistic or simple - but doesn't sound comfortable.

I said in my second post it can be done - but no need to sugarcoat it - it won't be the same lifestyle as living somewhere like Phoenix or Dallas.....
Keep in mind this is starting with a calculated income of $6k a month, a $2k housing budget, and a resultant disposable income of about $2300 a month... then saying you could cut more by adopting those suggestions. $2300 a month of disposable income is tremendous! I am just adding that you could scrape even more out if you so choose. Of course you get a better return on your money in Phoenix or Dallas. But you don't get beautiful beaches, lush green mountains, and temperatures in the 80's year round it is a tradeoff. I don't begrudge anyone that makes that choice to leave for better housing, jobs, schools, or whatever else...My wife and I made that choice and moved to Virginia to start a family. But if I was still single and making $100,000+ a year u better believe I would be back in Honolulu surfing 250 days a year, golfing in January, hooking up with Japanese tourists, and riding my bike everywhere to save money.

Last edited by UHgrad; 12-02-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,178 times
Thanks for the responses. I greatly appreciate the information.

I have accepted the position. To answer a few questions, it is not a government position. I will be working for a for profit healthcare company. I do contribute to a 401k, and I will continue to invest after the move. I also have savings, so I can handle emergencies and the unexpected. I am not overly picky about my lifestyle, but I do want a decent apartment (600 sq. ft is fine), air conditioning (to use occasionally), and cable/internet. As stated, I would also like some disposable income to dine out occasionally and persue other interests. Actually, I am not someone with expense tastes, but I want to be able to periodically enjoy some extras. I am choosing downtown more because of convenience and traffic. My work will be in that area, and I do not want to have an hour commute each way.

As for impressing others, I don't worry about it. I am simple, so anyone I would be interested in would find that out eventually. I am a realist. I know I won't be sipping drinks under a palm tree on the beach everyday. I understand I will have to work (very hard), but I love Hawaii. For me, I decided it is worth the tradeoff. Yes, I can have more things on the mainland, but it won't be Hawaii.

Again, thanks to all those who posted. As a follow-up, I will be working in the downtown area. Will anyone recommend a decent area to start my search? I don't mind being a little away from downtown. I just don't want to have a massive commute time. I work 50 to 60 hours a week, and I don't want to add 10 hours to that a week in my car.

Mahalo!

Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post

Thanks for the responses. I greatly appreciate the information.

I have accepted the position. To answer a few questions, it is not a government position. I will be working for a for profit healthcare company. I do contribute to a 401k, and I will continue to invest after the move. I also have savings, so I can handle emergencies and the unexpected. I am not overly picky about my lifestyle, but I do want a decent apartment (600 sq. ft is fine), air conditioning (to use occasionally), and cable/internet. As stated, I would also like some disposable income to dine out occasionally and persue other interests. Actually, I am not someone with expense tastes, but I want to be able to periodically enjoy some extras. I am choosing downtown more because of convenience and traffic. My work will be in that area, and I do not want to have an hour commute each way.

As for impressing others, I don't worry about it. I am simple, so anyone I would be interested in would find that out eventually. I am a realist. I know I won't be sipping drinks under a palm tree on the beach everyday. I understand I will have to work (very hard), but I love Hawaii. For me, I decided it is worth the tradeoff. Yes, I can have more things on the mainland, but it won't be Hawaii.

Again, thanks to all those who posted. As a follow-up, I will be working in the downtown area. Will anyone recommend a decent area to start my search? I don't mind being a little away from downtown. I just don't want to have a massive commute time. I work 50 to 60 hours a week, and I don't want to add 10 hours to that a week in my car.

Mahalo!
Edit... just saw your post that you accepted the position already.

What do you want in a neighborhood? Close to the beach? Bus access to downtown? Walkable neighborhood with shoppes and restaurants? Peace and quiet?

Last edited by UHgrad; 12-02-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 12:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Edit... just saw your post that you accepted the position already.

What do you want in a neighborhood? Close to the beach? Bus access to downtown? Walkable neighborhood with shoppes and restaurants? Peace and quiet?

I lived in 3 places in town...

1) Makiki off Wilder
2) Moiliili near Isenberg
3) Kapahulu near the safeway center
My preference would be a nice, somewhat walkable neighborhood, with some nearby shopping and entertainment. I do value peace and quiet, but I understand that being close to shopping and entertainment generally is a bit more chaotic. I will have my car, so bus transport (although nice) is not a primary concern.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
My preference would be a nice, somewhat walkable neighborhood, with some nearby shopping and entertainment.
You may want to keep the search with that criteria to Ala Moana/Kakaako.....

Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
My preference would be a nice, somewhat walkable neighborhood, with some nearby shopping and entertainment. I do value peace and quiet, but I understand that being close to shopping and entertainment generally is a bit more chaotic. I will have my car, so bus transport (although nice) is not a primary concern.
I'd tend to recommend east of downtown away from lower Kalihi, Aala park etc... those areas are just a little more sketchy particularly at night.

Ala Moana and Kakaako are nice but a little more expensive. Places are newer there and tons of nightlife and restaurants around.

Personally I think anywhere from Makiki (Wilder) through McCully, University, and even over to Kapahulu should be OK as well. Kaimuki is probably the nicest but it's mostly single family homes over there. From anywhere in that area you should be able to get to downtown via Beretania/King or Kapiolani. If you are traveling at off hours it would be cake, if you are traveling at rush it is at least manageable given the short distance. Plenty of restaurants and bars around there. Just gotta pick a budget and see what you can find. Also be wary of living right next to Iolani, Punahou, or any other school... they make for traffic nightmares during drop off/pickup times.

I'm sure others can chime in too, I've been gone a few years now and can only comment on places I've lived or spent time in.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:05 AM

133 posts, read 182,334 times
Congratulations on your new job. I live in the Ala Moana / Kakaako area and love the choice. Highly recommend it. I've had so many people ask how much the rent is and when they hear, they always recommend that we move somewhere cheaper. I think the convenience (close to a lot of shops, restaurants, downtown, parks) makes up for it. We can walk to restaurants, museum, movies, shopping and groceries. There are two farmers markets per week. Short drive to downtown. I'd suggest the area to you. Rents are higher but, you can afford it on your salary + your employer is covering your first few months. (I have seen postings for rental condos in my building for around $2400 for small 1 bedroom) It's a good landing spot. Then, you can check out other areas and see if you want to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii