Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 11,490 times

Advertisements

I'm 45, I receive a disability check about $1166. I had back surgery a few years ago after a visit to the islands. Prior I have epilepsy ((partials)) 2 sec to 10 type and on top of this I have 96% hearing loss in both ears. So lets face it, although I am capable and based on my disability I can work part time ((if I can get someone to partake)) it's not looking good for me out in CT.

I'm planning a no return trip with 5-10K, I really do not want to be homeless and based on my age just planning to metal detect the coast and live out my years... Can this be done?

I do have to say I have a 6 year old in VT and it's a 4+hour trip to visit and based on the above facts I have not seen him in two years, my only reason for staying. Every one else in my life has died in the last two years, divorce, you name it.. Everyone tells me I'll die if I go there and no question a one way trip for me..

I drive a mini cooper and wanted to bring it down with me but with a $2000 travel cost it would be best to sell it, the aloha bus is just fine. I've been on Criag's list and I've looked at apartments and where I'm living now I might as well be in prison.. I feel in love with the islands the day I got off the plane and for the last two years I've thought of calling it my home, again can this be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
It......

Cannot be done.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:54 PM

Thank you I sure hope to get more than that..

I do get it, while I was there one more homeless person is not what the island needs. I've done homeless, about 15 years ago before all this disability stuff. I had a friend tell me ((the best friend one could ever have)) just laid it out there. She said if this is what you got, at least do it someplace warm. I told her or asked what her excuse was as she had means, since she moved to Florida and has found herself a 100K plus job. I just do not know, I've worked in MGT all my life today I have a part time cleaning business and I've even given it thought to move it down there. I just do not know, another friend told me of her father. Went down on vacation just like I did, wanted to move the whole family there. They stayed in ct and he went, months later he shot himself in the head.

So not very positive but.... $800 in rent, food and I may not be living the life I once lived but how I'm living now is and has been two years of torment!!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Why not go live near your friend in Florida? It's warm there and the cost of living is a lot less.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
I agree... it would be a disaster for you to move to Hawai'i. There's almost no social safety net, and everything is more expensive than wherever you are now.

Check the internet for "cheapest places to live." It was announced earlier in the year that Mission Texas has the cheapest average cost of living in the country, and it's right down by the Rio Grande, so it's plenty warm.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:40 AM

I've already located 50+ shared housing from $480-$800, whats the cost of food.. On average I'm looking at $600 that leaves me over $600 to eat I mean I cant see that this cant be done.. $600 for food and laundry, Florida sucks to hot and to many drugs and alcohol in comparison. I've heard of bad locations in Hawaii but not like this...

Tell me the cost of food... Yes everything is import but even the gas was cheaper in Hawaii than in CT and that's saying something....

Your missing the point, I'm disabled at 45 and I have a great hobby. Not much more I can do, so if you do not think I can eat less than $500 I'd have to say scrap the idea but that's a lot of food... I was looking at a boat rental, 3 months temp at $550. Watch the boat until I can find something I mean best case would be bunkbeds in paridise but that's for women, not that I wouldn't mind

Old 12-01-2014, 05:39 AM

Troll..... Considering my son gets almost $700 per month I"m not sure ((troll)) really? When I vacationed in Hawaii everyone was so nice, helpful and very spiritual ((water seeks it's own level)).

Well I still have 4-5 months to research I thought by logging on to a forum I'd get some welcomed suggestions and ideas.. Ya I can see how you came to troll, epilepsy I'm sure that's my fault while I served our country, the 96% hearing loss, again that I must have come up with while living under a bridge. However I'll take the heat for the back injury but troll....

I tried working this summer, one low level job and one high end management position. If I do float my cleaning company over please leave me your name and address I'll give you a 50% discount perhaps I'll even do it for free I'm so sorry life is treating you badly... you deserve a break and I'll be more than happy to give you one...

Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 AM

I suppose I'll check out some other forums and the like, I've read all the rags to riches story's and for the most part positive... I'm currently living in a rooming house in CT, two man rooms they get $1000 per room and currently their are 7 people here. I've been here for 2 years and if you know anything about Ct I'm in pretty much the pit, high crime, high drugs, and just over all disgusting but I keep to myself and ignore it. I had a friend over and we looked at the apts together and looking at what I have now to what I would have in Hawaii there really is not much difference past a love for the islands and hobbies..

Ok the cost of milk is about $1.50 more per gallon, I eat pasta perhaps 2 times per month, In moving it will probably be 3 times per week and looking at all the costs in general I'll be paying about $1.50 more for every food item but then again scrap the car take the bus and I'd say it's an overall improvement.

While I was in the Marine Corp, college, and eventually into a district management position at $130K never once did I ever see myself in this position. Three years ago while married based on my condition I poured everything I had into a carpet cleaning company and gave it my best working part time for myself. Over the last two years I've had 7 major surgeries, a divorce, everyone of my family members have passed. I do have a son in VT but not to my doing I've not seen him in 2 years and unless mom extends some love, seeing him is no longer an option as I've fought for 4 years, he's just to young to travel the 4 hours one way. I've given some thought to moving to VT and the like but in a few years as the years do pass quickly if he follows in moms footsteps he will not stay in VT no one does until they get older and want a calm and clean lifestyle. Once that happens what will I have then?

I thought for once I'd do something for me, sure as heck gave everything to everyone else. I liked Hawaii, it's a mute point on this forum. I was not looking for a yes or no, go or no go, can it be done or not and I should have just asked more about this or that. I'm wondering however what were you doing while I had an M16 in my hands preparing to go to war defending my country from both foreign and domestic were you laying in the sun calling people names judging others complaining about the sad state of the nation?

Based on all that I am I just want to squeeze a bit more out of the life I have been given. A troll, you know maybe your right. I've been living in this for the last two years in a state I've never called my home doing nothing. Big day today I have an EEG, Wednesday another Dr's appointment, but I did save $50 on my car insurance instead of 2 cans of chef boyRdee for 4$ in Hawaii, being in CT I can get 10 cans for $8. See the trade off, I'd rather have the two cans and a great view.. Thank you all...

Old 12-01-2014, 08:07 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise1212 View Post
I'm 45, I receive a disability check about $1166. I had back surgery a few years ago after a visit to the islands. Prior I have epilepsy ((partials)) 2 sec to 10 type and on top of this I have 96% hearing loss in both ears. So lets face it, although I am capable and based on my disability I can work part time ((if I can get someone to partake)) it's not looking good for me out in CT.

I'm planning a no return trip with 5-10K, I really do not want to be homeless and based on my age just planning to metal detect the coast and live out my years... Can this be done?

I do have to say I have a 6 year old in VT and it's a 4+hour trip to visit and based on the above facts I have not seen him in two years, my only reason for staying. Every one else in my life has died in the last two years, divorce, you name it.. Everyone tells me I'll die if I go there and no question a one way trip for me..

I drive a mini cooper and wanted to bring it down with me but with a $2000 travel cost it would be best to sell it, the aloha bus is just fine. I've been on Criag's list and I've looked at apartments and where I'm living now I might as well be in prison.. I feel in love with the islands the day I got off the plane and for the last two years I've thought of calling it my home, again can this be done?
No. You should not even think about taking housing from someone who already lives there and needs it, just because you thought it was a paradise there. Go to Florida where your friend lives.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
it sounds like the op is set on living in hawaii. if that is the case, sell everything you have, put at least 1,000 bucks in a savings and don't touch it so you can buy a return ticket if it doesn't work out. not many people will tell you you can stretch your budget to have a life in the islands. it will be very, very hard. for warm weather how about rural ca if fl isn't for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: