Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I don't think building more housing is the best direction for Hawaii. I doubt they really could build enough to exceed demand to the point where it would put significant downward pressure on price. And the pressure it would put on resources could be a real downside.
Most likely, Oahu should look into a Hong Kong-like style of building. I'm routinely surprised how many single-family homes there are throughout Oahu, with yards. There are some high-rises and apartment style buildings, but they seem a bit scattered about.

That being said, even if Oahu did build a lot of tall buildings everywhere to house people; if Hong Kong is any indicator, it doesn't bring prices down whatsoever. Prices are still extraordinarily high in vertical cities like HK. However, I just don't see any other effective way to accomodate people with housing.

But, 30 tall buildings all within several blocks housing 1000+ people seems way more preferable than the current model of paving over something that isn't currently paved to house a small portion proportionately comparative to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most likely, Oahu should look into a Hong Kong-like style of building. I'm routinely surprised how many single-family homes there are throughout Oahu, with yards. There are some high-rises and apartment style buildings, but they seem a bit scattered about.

That being said, even if Oahu did build a lot of tall buildings everywhere to house people; if Hong Kong is any indicator, it doesn't bring prices down whatsoever. Prices are still extraordinarily high in vertical cities like HK. However, I just don't see any other effective way to accomodate people with housing.

But, 30 tall buildings all within several blocks housing 1000+ people seems way more preferable than the current model of paving over something that isn't currently paved to house a small portion proportionately comparative to that.
I agree. If you are going to try and fully meet demand, concentrated high rises is the only way to go. And we're also in agreement that building to try and meet demand will not bring down the prices. If you did get to that point, then you'd simply create more demand as more people could afford to buy.

The only way to reduce demand and bring down cost is to create barriers to entry into the market, as I suggested earlier with a two-pronged taxing strategy. It's just that no one would like that approach even though it would work. People would see that the very steps to limit growth and bring down price would simultaneously block them from moving to the island and that's where their interest would end.

The cost of housing in Hawaii has dropped in the past. In fact, 2008, 2009, 2010 were pretty good times to buy in Hawaii because of price drops. And those prices dropped in large part because world-wide recession reduced both travel to Hawaii and off-island demand for real-estate.

If you really want to bring down the cost of housing and limit growth, it must be done by creating strong barriers to entry.

Absent those barriers, condensed high rises is the best alternative to try and manage demand and prevent continued sprawl and paving of the island.

Last edited by WaikikiBoy; 12-08-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 10:34 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
I definitely agree - the artificial height limits make no sense and have made the housing situation so much worse.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
I agree that single family residences are not the solution to Oahu's housing shortage, but I don't think high-rises are the answer either. As the article suggests, high-density low to mid-rise housing built in much cheaper outlying areas could be built far less expensively than either of the alternatives you gave. And if enough of that kind of housing were to be built, it definitely would have an effect on average rental prices.

What's missing is an entrepreneur who has the guts to fight all the people who would be opposed to such development, and the cooperation of government officials who are not currently supporters of the idea.

The problem is, without doing something positive now, the problem will only get worse until it finally passes the point where it causes more pain to do nothing than it does to make a change.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I agree that single family residences are not the solution to Oahu's housing shortage, but I don't think high-rises are the answer either. As the article suggests, high-density low to mid-rise housing built in much cheaper outlying areas could be built far less expensively than either of the alternatives you gave. And if enough of that kind of housing were to be built, it definitely would have an effect on average rental prices.
On Oahu, we call that Kapolei - and the problem people are faced with living on the West Side of Oahu is traffic - there is no room to expand the freeway and it already has times where the commute can be as high as 90 minutes......

Old 12-08-2014, 07:14 PM

This isn't going to help rent.....

Oahu home prices hit record $719,500 - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"The median price of a single-family home on Oahu soared to a record $719,500 last month, moving homeownership further out of reach for many Hawaii families."

But - hopefully this will get going....

Hawaii Kai developer gets $100.7M for residential project - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"The developer of a planned luxury midrise residential development in Hawaii Kai announced Monday it has secured $100.7 million in financing."

And FYI - that development is on vacant land, not displacing anyone.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
"The developer of a planned luxury midrise residential development in Hawaii Kai announced Monday it has secured $100.7 million in financing."
But that's more of the same... luxury housing... the big deficit is in housing for low and medium incomes.

I understand the central issue. It's more profitable per unit to build luxury housing, but there's certainly money to be made building regular housing for regular folks. Who's going to step up to the plate?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
[quote=hawaiian by heart;37542577]
Quote:
The so-called "Paradise Tax" is not something you can get rid of, because it is merely a humorous label for the aspect of human nature that has people all over the world willing to pay more for housing and accept less pay to live in a place they consider "paradise." ]

Lets get real ok, if you gave someone an option to pay 1,500 for an apartment in Oahu or 1,000. I bet most would choose 1,000 right? Lets not cherry coat what the "paradise tax" is. It just a polite term for "Lets charge as high as humanly possible for rents just short of rioting". Another words greed. The excuse for this behavior is "People all over the world are willing to pay more for housing and accept less pay to live in a place they consider "paradise."

Im sorry i don't mean to come across as cras or "wit stink" but the solution for affordable housing isn't going to be in encouraging the behavior that got us there in the first place. And the first step to social change is to educate people on what

Pg 1/2
I have to comment here. As a landlord in Hawaii, I had a property in Hawaii Kai and my mortgage was $900 above the rent I was able to get for monthly rent, and in addition I had a $450 monthly maintenance fee to cover, plus the GET tax of about $1200 per year, plus property tax of $2400 per year. Let's charge as much as humanly possible? Hardly!

Now I know there are some large investors, and I am sure their numbers look some what better than mine, but ANY landlord in Hawaii makes his money by waiting out the real estate cycle (about 10-12 years) and makes their money on the sale, not the rent.

By the way, my tenants did over $8,000 in damage to my property and the renters wife told me I should cover their intentional damage to my property because I was "rich" because I owned 2 homes and she didn't own a home.

Blaming landlords makes for good press, but the problem is the amount of land tied up in state set asides that aren't developed (creating shortages in housing land available), Hawaiian property laws until the 1970's era (fee simple was introduced to replace lease hold), greed in state and local government for tax dollars (GET & property taxes are outrageous for the services provided), and an incoherent, corrupt, and incompetent zoning approval process.

The problems in expense for Hawaiian housing are mostly political process driven, not landlord driven.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
But that's more of the same... luxury housing... the big deficit is in housing for low and medium incomes.

I understand the central issue. It's more profitable per unit to build luxury housing, but there's certainly money to be made building regular housing for regular folks. Who's going to step up to the plate?
It isn't as luxury as they are making it sound - but it isn't low end either. And, it is only more profitable to build luxury housing if you have buyers willing to take those units quickly.

Anyway, I'd say there is huge demand for higher end housing and is just as much of a deficit as low end housing judging by the 20 something construction cranes I see around town. One would think some of those new owners are moving up and letting go of their lower end housing already paid off.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
I agree that single family residences are not the solution to Oahu's housing shortage, but I don't think high-rises are the answer either.
Another style I quite like is the way that Japan does it. Basically, you might have a lot of singe-family homes, but they are quite condensed together, with a ton of amenities nearby as well - i.e. 7-11 on the corner, a few tiny little restaurants taking up little space not far away as well either, on and on.

Oahu suffers from a lot of that typical American zoning all over the place, with residential here, and business there, with way too much empty space throughout. I mean, it works on the Mainland with unlimited land, but in Oahu, it needs to densify and become more convenient/walkable being there is near perfect climate, and limited space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii