Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times

Advertisements

Hilo, Hawaii is the second-costliest place to celebrate Christmas in the U.S., according to online personal finance site Nerdwallet.com.

The average family of four in Hilo will spend $1,172.02 for the average cost of gifts, decorations, greeting cards, flowers, Christmas tree, cost of food, four movie tickets, bottle of wine.

That is second only to the $1,293.93 of average holiday spending in New York (Manhattan).

Honolulu spending is ranked 10th in the nation, at $1,037.62, behind Brooklyn, New York, Boston, Mass., and Stamford, Conn. at No. 5.

Two Hawaii cities among the costliest for Christmas - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:55 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
I would venture to guess that the folks at Nerdwallet were smoking something grown near Hilo when they came up with those 'statistics'.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
Interesting to see "four movie tickets" included in the cost of celebrating Christmas. I guess things have changed since my kids were growing up

Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
That is really a surprised to read where Helo comes in second-costliest place to celebrate Christmas in the U.S.
I guess its because its the farthest city in the Hawaiian Islands from the US Mainland. Maybe it was the smoking they were doing!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:21 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,611,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Helo

I guess its because its the farthest city in the Hawaiian Islands from the US Mainland.

Maybe it was the smoking they were doing!
Are you smoking something? "Helo" is the farthest east.. and therefore the closest.. just over 2300 miles to California. For reference, Lihue, Kauai is about 150 miles further to San Francisco (though 317 miles northwest of Hilo as the crow flies)

I digress... back to talking about how expensive Christmas.. I mean, the holidays, are.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 AM

But Helo is the 'farthest' when it comes to shipping, with everything VIA barge originating in Honozulu. HOWEVER, if you live in Helo and you're giving the family coconuts for Christmas you'll do quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47NljuPBFE

Uuurrppp, hope this helps

Old 12-15-2014, 12:07 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Well, this just goes to show you that "living mainland" in Hawaii is expensive.

A lot of gifts in Hilo are made here so the proper price for them won't be on "the list" that they use to figure prices.

Decorations are re-used from year to year so they shouldn't be on the list at all.

I'm not sure how many folks send greeting cards, but if they do, I'm sure they're more expensive here.

Flowers are free and blooming in your yard or the neighbor's yard or you can get them inexpensively from the farmer's markets. I'm <li>thinking maybe they used the price of formal flowers from some sort of florist?

Cost of mainland food is high, true, but a lot of food around here comes from around here.

Most folks I know pull the artificial Christmas tree out of the attic. Or bring in the potted Norfolk pine from a previous year or cut down a small Norfolk pine. Buying a mainland Christmas tree from one of the containers of them shipped in isn't always possible since they run out of them.

Movie tickets are $6 if you go to the People's theater, although maybe they are adding in popcorn, too?

We don't drink much wine so that's not a cost. Isn't beer more likely to be on the Christmas list? Personally, I prefer coffee and hot chocolate. Tea, too, and all those are less expensive than wine.

Well, statistics are a GIGO sort of thing, I guess.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:45 PM

Is it considered to be proper holiday etiquette in Hawaii if one re-gifts a case of SPAM lite?

I need to know these things

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
You're giving away Spam!!!!??? Well, perhaps because it's the "lite" version and not the hard core? Of course you can re-gift Spam, after all, it's Spam. It's not like you're trying to give away a fruit cake after all.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:29 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
You're giving away Spam!!!!??? Well, perhaps because it's the "lite" version and not the hard core? Of course you can re-gift Spam, after all, it's Spam. It's not like you're trying to give away a fruit cake after all.
I think the issue is the "lite". Lite and SPAM in the same sentence is somewhat of an oxymoron.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii