Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 AM

198 posts, read 386,889 times

Advertisements

Most people are expecting and even prepared for the high costs of living in Hawaii, however, once they have been there for a time, they are still absolutely shocked at how much it eats into their income.

I was just in Maui (two weeks ago) and my grocery bill for the week for a family of two parents, two grandparents, and two minor kids was over $650.00 for one week. No lie. You can find specials, like chicken breast for 2.99 a pound (we did); but its rare and not to be counted on.

Ignoring the costs of rent and electricity, it is the food costs that handicap you more than you thought. Even if you try to shop at Costco you still cant avoid those stops in foodland where you get bent over..... Since Costco is usually too far away to go for just a few things.

I am not discouraging you, I just feel you need to do more research before taking the jump. You could be one of many who come, love it, and then have to leave because the costs break you. You really have to want it.

Your money will go further in So Cal or Florida if its only about warmer weather.

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 01:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post

I was just in Maui (two weeks ago) and my grocery bill for the week for a family of two parents, two grandparents, and two minor kids was over $650.00 for one week.

You could be one of many who come, love it, and then have to leave because the costs break you. You really have to want it.
$650 for a week of food for all those people? Is that a lot? I don't know - perhaps I've been here to long, seems pretty normal to me.

We recently did an HR survey on retention, specific to mainland hires. We hire a lot of mainland personnel - I have no doubt we hire far more mainland staff than probably the next top 10 Hawaii employers combined, likely even more.

We found that nearly 100% of the hires move back to the mainland within 3 years when they didn't have any tie to Hawaii whatsoever when they moved. By a tie to Hawaii, it included family, friends, or having worked here from a mainland company. For those who had a tie to Hawaii - the odds got much better, about 50% stayed in Hawaii long term - at least 5 years.

I've know over 200+ people who made the move. Only a handful have stayed. Granted, most I knew weren't 20 something, there isn't much of an appeal for companies to want someone with so few years of experience unless it is a specialty area in technology that isn't readily found in Hawaii. Most are in their 30's or in mid-life crisis mode.

While not scientific, I'd peg at maybe 30% the number of people who were glad they made they move with no regrets even though they moved back. They are usually the "I can afford to live in Hawaii despite my job". Most go back with careers set back, it isn't likely you can just resume where you left off (for themselves - or worse, also for a spouse) - drained savings - lost connections with friends and family - some move with kids which makes it that much worse with family and uprooting them from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii