Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Our friends who do farming here are convinced it's due to the GMO's. And I do see a high number of unusual cases with kids compared to the mainland.
Lots of people believe in lots of myths, and the GMO myth is one of the biggest right now. I do believe there is good evidence that there are problems cause by the high use of pesticides, and people get the two confused. But it's the chemicals... and the cane smoke, and the dust caused by ag activities... that cause the health problems, not the plants.

Quote:
One of the native girls I work with says there is a lot of pollution in the water and that there is a big cover up from the water company.
They are subject to the same federal water quality requirements and lab tests as other water utilities. In other words, that's another myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You can't escape GMO by going to the mainland.

But, Hawaii does have the highest pesticide use in the United States.
what if its not GMO.... chemtrails...

Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Lots of people believe in lots of myths, and the GMO myth is one of the biggest right now. I do believe there is good evidence that there are problems cause by the high use of pesticides, and people get the two confused. But it's the chemicals... and the cane smoke, and the dust caused by ag activities... that cause the health problems, not the plants.

They are subject to the same federal water quality requirements and lab tests as other water utilities. In other words, that's another myth.
what was heptachlor??? about.. dint they hide that in the water tests.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:

thats not a true statement, in the following video, he sates otherwise. go to 9:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1xd0XMDaQE

Old 12-21-2014, 06:59 PM

Sorry, Kawena, that just more psedoscience talk. Posting a YouTube doesn't make it so. What you need are real scientific studies, by real scientists, and confirmed by other real scientists, and published through reputable channels, such as peer reviewed scientific journals, with full references. Not just unknowns posting unconfirmed myths and rumors on personal blogs and YouTube videos.

Chemtrails are a myth, according to the real scientists... a misunderstanding of the contrails (formed by ice particles in the upper atmosphere) that form in certain conditions in aircraft engine exhaust streams.

GMOs are not inherently harmful, according to a consensus of the real scientists who have been studying then for more than than two decades.

The source of the problems noted... and there are real problems... can be traced to the chemicals used as pesticides.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:37 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Hmmm at one time real scientists believed that african americans had bad night vision so for many years the U.S. Navy wouldn't let african americans man a battle station during WW2. At one time real scientists believed that mental health or insanity in wahines was based on the female organs or there emotions. So alot of surgeries were preformed to remove sex organs. And 100,000 other things that was right but later was found to be untrue. This black and white thinking about truth is kinda unhealthy and makes it difficult to accept diversity. Not a personal attack just something to help expand awareness.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
This black and white thinking about truth is kinda unhealthy and makes it difficult to accept diversity. Not a personal attack just something to help expand awareness.
Have mistakes been made? Yes. Does new research sometimes overturn old theories. Yes. Are errors like that a tiny, tiny part of the overall track record of scientific study. Yes, absolutely.

Are the mistakes that have been made a good reason to treat utter nonsense, such as bald assertions without valid proof as equivalent in value to thoroughly researched scientific studies? Not at all.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Have mistakes been made? Yes. Does new research sometimes overturn old theories. Yes. Are errors like that a tiny, tiny part of the overall track record of scientific study. Yes, absolutely.

Are the mistakes that have been made a good reason to treat utter nonsense, such as bald assertions without valid proof as equivalent in value to thoroughly researched scientific studies? Not at all.
Uhmmm remember we had scientific studies for the above things i listted too. Science itself would claim that an afterlife or spirituality is hogwash and emotionalism because theres no proof, but you can speak to the billions who have experienced it and they will tell you its true. Look to be honest how much of the mysterious of life and universe do we really know? Could the next evalution in sciences or in our awareness disprove 1/2 of everything we believe to be ultimate truth? All im saying is keep an openmind. Remember great minds balked at the world being round or the earth circling the su

Old 12-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Uhmmm remember we had scientific studies for the above things i listted too. Science itself would claim that an afterlife or spirituality is hogwash and emotionalism because theres no proof, but you can speak to the billions who have experienced it and they will tell you its true. Look to be honest how much of the mysterious of life and universe do we really know? Could the next evalution in sciences or in our awareness disprove 1/2 of everything we believe to be ultimate truth? All im saying is keep an openmind. Remember great minds balked at the world being round or the earth circling the su
I have an open mind. That's not at all the same as having an open rubbish bin. I'm careful about what I put in my head.

When someone produces credible, robust research which is peer reviewed, published, and confirmed by third party reproduction of the same results, regarding ANY of the pseudo-science used to justify ANY of the urban mythology that people currently believe in without benefit of proof... then I am prepared to change my mind, yes.

But to believe every tinfoil-hat bit of paranoia or ignorance found on the internet is akin to walking down the street, seeing some food lying on the pavement that looks good, scooping it up and eating it. I wouldn't do that, nor would most people, I imagine, but many people do the intellectual equivalent, sticking absolute rubbish into their mind because it looks good.

This is why YouTube videos are so dangerous to maintaining a proper ecology of the mind, because they are so easily manipulated to make absolute rubbish look good. "Um, yum... this guy looks like he knows what he's taliking about," people say, "and it's on film so it must be real!" But outright fakery easily passes for real on the internet, and fools lots of people who aren't critical thinkers, and who just accept whatever they see on face value.

Just this morning I had to debunk a friend's breathless share of a YouTube video purporting to show an F-35 aircraft doing a vertical takeoff from an aircraft carrier, being flipped upside down by a freak gust, then being righted by the pilot and safely flown away in the darnedest piece of flying ever witnessed by mankind. I mean, it was truly an astonishing sight to be seen, and my friend and his circle were all oohing and ahhing about how amazing a feat that it was.

The only problem was, it wasn't real. In truth, it was a clip from a video game that was first put on line, and subsequently debunked as a phoney over 5 years ago. Yet here it still is, being passed around by the gullible. Most amazing to me, even after obvious tell-tale flaws were pointed out, one of the guys said he didn't care if it wasn't real, it was still an amazing piece of airmanship.

But of course it wasn't. It wasn't airmanship at all, just imagination. But despite it being proven unreal, that guy wanted so badly to believe that he consciously chose to believe the lie. Unfortunately there's a lot of that going around.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 PM

^^^^

To me what you just basically said was "everybody needs to get jesus as there personal savior" as in the past history. Only today science has replaced religious belief. I didn't say support fraud, what i said was have openminded attitude about ultimate truth etc. Because our country is an example of ridged thinking of truth and false, look at both the extreme two political parties destroying our country because each side has the only ultimate truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii