Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 PM

140 posts, read 189,533 times

Advertisements

Does Blue Cross Blue Shield have a large/good PPO network in Hawaii? As we are considering moving to Hawaii I want to know who has the best networks/ there? As an example in the current state I am in BCBS probably has the widest network of hospitals and physicians.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,983,750 times
Yes. BCBS/HMSA controls about 80% of the market.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 PM

6,787 posts, read 5,518,131 times
One would think such a large operation as BCBS would operate in all states.
Same as moving to any other state:
Your best first bet is to consult directly with BCBS to see if the plan you have is recognized/operating/will carry over in the State of Hawaii. Be CLEAR you are thinking of MOVING there, not asking if they will cover you while you VACATION there. Call the number on the back of your card, they should be able to direct you to the correct department.
If not,ask what plan would cover you.

If YES, then They should also be able to give you a list of their in-network facilities/Doctors for Hawaii. You may have to ask for it to be mailed to you, or they can point you to a website with such information on it. That would be a start in looking to establish once there.

Here's hoping you are healthy and won't need it often!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 PM

140 posts, read 189,533 times
Thanks folks. To my knowledge BCBS does operate in all states and I have a national plan. I just wanted to know if they had a dominant network in Hawaii as they do in the state I am already in. For instance in the state I am in virtually all hospitals are participating providers, so you can choose almost any hospital and know everyone there will be in the network. That is not the case with all insurance companies. Anyhow, I'm happy to see it looks like it's the same in Hawaii.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
One would think such a large operation as BCBS would operate in all states.
Same as moving to any other state:
Your best first bet is to consult directly with BCBS to see if the plan you have is recognized/operating/will carry over in the State of Hawaii. Be CLEAR you are thinking of MOVING there, not asking if they will cover you while you VACATION there. Call the won't need it often!
BCBS provides coverage in all 50 states. If you are covered on the mainland you are covered in Hawaii. BCBS forces that distinction on the operators.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,101,478 times
Generally the choice is between Kaiser and HMSA. I guess HMSA is the same as Blue Cross? Is the mainland HMSA the same as the island HMSA? For Kaiser, I think they have a separate branch for Hawaii. Or at least, it was that way several years ago.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I guess HMSA is the same as Blue Cross? Is the mainland HMSA the same as the island HMSA?
HMSA is a Blue Cross/Blue Shield member. The network is part of all 50 states. All the network providers must recognize each other.

I'm not sure what you mean by a mainland HMSA - since it is called Hawaii Medical Service Association.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 AM

6,787 posts, read 5,518,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
BCBS provides coverage in all 50 states. If you are covered on the mainland you are covered in Hawaii. BCBS forces that distinction on the operators.
Yes,BUT, my coverage BCBS plan in NY was different than the coverage plan I had to have when I moved to Massachusettes! I still had BCBS, BUt Empire NY BCBS was not automatically the same policy as Mass BCBS. I still had to change plans.

When I moved back to NY, I had to drop Mass BCBS in favor Of Empire NY BCBS again.

True, you are covered while in any of the states {like on vacation} but the OP may have to change to a praticular BCBS plan for Hawaii's rules and regulations. I was always covered while I vacationed in Florida {as I did often at that time.}

Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM

133 posts, read 183,046 times
Contact your HR benefits person. They will be able to give you specifics on coverage, give you a list of providers and make any necessary residency changes.
FWIW, have Empire Blue Cross/ Blue Shield PPO from NY and changing to HI was easy and the coverage is good. (I've only had to use it minimally.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii