Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times

Advertisements

Looks like heading over for the trial run is coming up fast. This forum has been a wealth of information on MANY different aspects of life in Hawaii. The concensus about schools seems to be that it's very worth checking into private education for ones children. Lots of folks are discussing the issue of how they can expect to be treated as a tranplanted mainlander. Reckon I'm gonna find out first hand. I am rather curious as to learning the Hawaiian language. Is this something that is offered at local community colleges perhaps? I'm thinking that a good working knowledge of the language and culture beyond just basic history will be indispensible. Hawaiians use thier language a lot more in daily life than the Native Americans here use their traditional language and there are no actual forums with which to learn it unless you have friends that are willing to teach you. Anyone having any advice on this I'd like to get pointed in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 AM

203 posts, read 1,357,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Looks like heading over for the trial run is coming up fast. This forum has been a wealth of information on MANY different aspects of life in Hawaii. The concensus about schools seems to be that it's very worth checking into private education for ones children. Lots of folks are discussing the issue of how they can expect to be treated as a tranplanted mainlander. Reckon I'm gonna find out first hand. I am rather curious as to learning the Hawaiian language. Is this something that is offered at local community colleges perhaps? I'm thinking that a good working knowledge of the language and culture beyond just basic history will be indispensible. Hawaiians use thier language a lot more in daily life than the Native Americans here use their traditional language and there are no actual forums with which to learn it unless you have friends that are willing to teach you. Anyone having any advice on this I'd like to get pointed in the right direction.
I never really noticed many locals using the Hawaiian language per se, mainly pidgin if they weren't speaking english. Though people did tend to mix in Hawaiian words with english and pidgin.

This could be helpful to you - Hawaiian Word Of The Day - Island Television News Story - KITV Honolulu (http://www.kitv.com/station/124839/detail.html - broken link)

And yes I believe local unis and colleges offer the language courses. They offer Hawaiian studies degree(s), so I'm guessing they have languages courses as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,264 times
Default Studying the Hawaiian Language on Kauai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
I never really noticed many locals using the Hawaiian language per se, mainly pidgin if they weren't speaking english. Though people did tend to mix in Hawaiian words with english and pidgin.

This could be helpful to you - Hawaiian Word Of The Day - Island Television News Story - KITV Honolulu (http://www.kitv.com/station/124839/detail.html - broken link)

And yes I believe local unis and colleges offer the language courses. They offer Hawaiian studies degree(s), so I'm guessing they have languages courses as well.
Kauai Community College offers Hawaiian:

The Hawaiian Studies Academic Subject Certificate program is
designed for students to gain a basic background in Hawaiian
Studies. The course of study encompasses Hawaiian language,
culture, environment, and values. It will satisfy a number of basic
course requirements for the Hawaiian Studies and Hawaiian
Language Bachelor Degree programs at the University of Hawai`i
at M_anoa and the University of Hawai`i at Hilo. It will also satisfy
employer needs for employees who have completed a course of
study in Hawaiian culture, language, environment, and values.
A GPA of 3.0 or higher for all courses applicable toward the
certificate is needed to meet graduation requirements.
Basic Requirements: 11 credits
CREDITS
HAW 101 Elementary Hawaiian I ........................................ 4
HAW 102 Elementary Hawaiian II ....................................... 4
HWST 107 Hawai‘i: Center of the Pacific ........................... 3
Electives: 15 credits (At least one course must
be taken from each of the following areas)
Hawaiian Environment:
CREDITS
BIOL 123 Introduction to Science: The Hawaiian
Environment .................................................. ........ 3
BIOL 123L Hawaiian Environment Science Laboratory .... 1
BOT 105 Ethnobotany .................................................. ......... 3
BOT 130 Plants in the Hawaiian Environment ................ 3
BOT 130L Plants in the Hawaiian
Environment Laboratory ..................................... 1
HWST 251 Mahi‘ai Kalo (Taro Cultivation) .......................... 3
HWST 281 Hawaiian Astronomy and Weather
Relating to Polynesian Voyaging ....................... 3
HWST 285 Hawaiian Medicinal Herbs I: La‘au Lapa‘au .. 4
HWST 295 Hawaiian Medicinal Herbs II: La‘au Lapa‘au .... 3
Hawaiian Language:
CREDITS
HAW 201 Intermediate Hawaiian I ...................................... 4
HAW 202 Intermediate Hawaiian II..................................... 4
HAW 221 Introduction to Hawaiian Conversation ........... 3
HAW 222 Introduction to Hawaiian Composition ............ 3
HAW 262 Survey of Hawaiian Writings .............................. 3
Culture, History, and Arts:
CREDITS
HAW 261 Hawaiian Literature in English .......................... 3
HWST 111 The Hawaiian ‘Ohana .......................................... 3
HWST 128 Hula and Chant .................................................. ... 3
HWST 199V Special Studies .................................................. .. 1-3
HWST 290 Rediscovering Polynesian Connections ............ 3
HWST 299V Special Studies .................................................. .. 1-3
HIST 284 History of the Hawaiian Islands ........................ 3
HIST 284K History of Kaua‘i .................................................. . 3
REL 205 Understanding Hawaiian Religion .................... 3

Old 01-16-2008, 01:05 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,479 times
another interesting point is that your son will learn some hawaiian language and values if he should attend a public school through the hawaiian studies program. what i am not sure of is the grade levels that are taught. i think it starts from elementary through middle school? a kupuna (grandparent, ancestor, relative or close friend) is assigned to each school. also, if you do a search on "hawaiian language lessons" you'll find several links.

once the missionaries arrived, the hawaiian language ('olelo hawai'i) was tabu and thought to be lost. however, it is seeing a revival through the hawaiian studies and hawaiian immersion programs, hula, chant and music. and, of course, through teachings at the university level. however, princess abigail kawananakoa has said that today's language is not the same as that of our ancestors.

pidgin english in hawai'i is a combination of many languages that originated during the plantation era--hawaiian, portugese, filipino, chinese, english, etc....

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,434 times
the dept of ed offers free hawaiian classes one night a week for a total of 14 hours.

kauai community class offers 2 adult continuing education classes. both are 2 days each for a total of 6 hours? these classes have a cost associated with it.

one class at KCC that i would highly recommend is the class about ancient hawaiian navigation. this is taught by someone (last name chun...drawing a blank) who went on the hokulea, a modern recreation of an authentic hawaiian boat. this boat travelled to tahiti using traditional hawaiian navigational techniques. the teacher lectured at my workplace, and it was extremely interesting.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Default lots of options....

Doesn't seem like it will be any problem finding ways to learn about Hawaiian culture. Things like that really interest me. My son and I belong to an historical re-enactment group here. The Comstock Civil War Reenactors. We portray Confederate cavalry...7th Virginia Company A. I'm thinkin' thats not a real big interest for folks in Hawaii. Lol Wasn't much Involvement in the War Between the States there. Nevertheless we are very interested in history ( living history ). Actually getting into the role and living it as it really was. Our Indian friends call us the "greyriders". Who knows...maybe we can find a niche in local history over there. We do a lot of activities with the schools here helping kids learn about American history. Might be a cool thing for us there to.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Just as an add on...we have a lot of time and effort wrapped upin our horses,uniforms equipment and such. Our horses are trained specially for this stuff. Mounted shooting (blanks of course) artillery, ground bursts, sabre drill you name it. Theres a lot of horse people in the islands from what I've seen. Might get a few other folks interested in trying a different game.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,479 times
found out yesterday that the hawaiian studies program in public schools is taught from k-6 grades.

try visiting the polynesian voyaging society's website. it's very interesting and talks about the different vessels used to make voyages to various polynesian islands and to japan/okinawa.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 PM

It's been mentioed quite a bit that it's very expensive to live in the islands. All in all from comparosins I'm making the biggest difference from here ( using Northern NV as a baseline) the biggest extra expense seems to be in housing ( bout 25 % higher) and different taxes. The latter being the big one.Certain food products are certainly higher as well ( Dairy and beef).Staple foods in the daily diets differ, rice is used instead of say potatoes, lots of fish instead of beef( makes sense) and the quality of the beef available is not as good as we've been used to here in the heart of cattle country. I'm willing to bet that with year round warm weather and these dietary changes my medical check ups will show some marked improvement. One of the guys we got to talking with up in Hanaleia was saying that you have to be real careful about staph infections with wounds and cuts et al. I have a bum leg from a bike wreck years back that has a tendancy to open up on me every now and again so that concerned me a bit. Never saw any areas there that seemed stagnant ( several people said there is a mosquito problem although I never even saw a simple housefly ). Any thoughts on the staph/ mosquito issue? My experience thus far seems to indicate we have more problems with that stuff here in the desert ( our skeeters are on a par with pterodactyls and we have lots of stagnant pooling). More of a localized thing perhaps? Some places have problems others don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii