Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:03 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Why though would an independent nation WANT the flag of a foreign power (especially one that was known for horribly oppressing and raping dozens of countries)? I'm surprised the US upon conquering Hawaii didn't have the flag redesigned. And remember, the current British flag was created when the British conquered Ireland (the British loved Ireland for its land, but hated the Irish people, thus edited the previous flag to have a third cross for Ireland).
If you taking about Britain... dint they leave the Hawaiian kingdom intact? "

Treaty between the Kingdom of Hawaii and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

MARCH 26TH, 1846."

you mention a foreign power, oppression, raping other countries... why would they want a flag like that that...

Hmmm..... the american flag flies still today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:26 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Question Buying a Hawaii State Flag

As an FYI - I wanted to buy a State flag (to go with my US flag and my Ohio flag), so I looked at various big box retailers in Kona and Hilo. Usually got a blank look when I asked about it. Ended up ordering one on line. Cheapest made flag I've ever seen. Shipped from California. I didn't check but certainly made in China.

Wonder why the retailers don't stock them.
Mahalo

Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
As an FYI - I wanted to buy a State flag (to go with my US flag and my Ohio flag), so I looked at various big box retailers in Kona and Hilo. Usually got a blank look when I asked about it. Ended up ordering one on line. Cheapest made flag I've ever seen. Shipped from California. I didn't check but certainly made in China.

Wonder why the retailers don't stock them.
Mahalo
I grew up in Illinois and moved to California before going to Hawaii - and I'm hard pressed to think where I would've bought CA and IL state flags - so I don't think it is a Hawaii thing. Definitely lots of US flags flying on Oahu though.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:31 AM

http://hawaiiankingdom.org/blog/wp-c...Collection.jpg
Quote:
The second portrait is also called a flagship that has both the national flag and the royal flag. The royal flag, also called the royal ensign, is a flag that signals the presence of the Hawaiian monarch and in this portrait it signaled the presence of Kamehameha II on board. The royal ensign also flies at the residence of the Hawaiian monarch and wherever the monarch travels.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:40 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,200 times
The flag is intelligently designed for the times it was created: Protection and alliances with the UK and USA.

If The UK would have taken over the reigns the state would be part of the Commonwealth today. Canada, NZ, and Australia its closest allies. Cars be driven on the left and the British kings & queens on stamps and coins.

More focus on pacific trade as a source of income would have been given, tax & corporate oasis first for US citizens and later for asian countries as well. Tourism would have been strong and cuisine lousy. Healthcare system much better, military less or with Pearl Harbor used as a NATO base for international and mostly US ships. Pearl HArbor attack would have happened anyways.

If Hawaiian citizens would have produced someone like Mahatma Gandhi..naah, would have not worked here. Corruption of officials would have started in the sixties along with more independence from Britain. Most likely the reggae-fication of the current local music (and drug culture being a major trade hub for opium) would have started earlier. Most likely unique Hawaiian products would have been better protected legally (copyrights, regional ag products names, craft work). We could have had some funny laws like Singapore where chewing gum is forbidden.

Plus exceptionally tea would be grown everywhere in Hawaii, prized around the world more than any other.

If the Russians, Japanese or Germans would have taken over they would have lost the islands again in World War I or II. If the French would have taken Hawaii we would have another Haiti on our hands. So far my educated speculations. I can't fathom independence because with so much military around at the time which one would have protected Hawaii from whom, and at what price?!

That's where the queens dilemma came from and therefore she put TWO superpowers into the flag.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:55 AM

one time I was doing a set up for APEC... I learneded something. ALL flags from every country has to be hung at the same hight..

Quote:
UH Hilo to fly US, Hawaii flag at equal heights
UH Hilo to fly US, Hawaii flag at equal heights - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 07-17-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
one time I was doing a set up for APEC... I learneded something. ALL flags from every country has to be hung at the same hight..

UH Hilo to fly US, Hawaii flag at equal heights - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Since Hawaii is not a country - we should at least clarify the rules for flying a state flag regarding your link. The below applies to all 50 states.

When on the same pole - it is customary for the US flag to be higher than a state flag.

If they have their own poles, the US flag should be at the viewers left and can be at the same height as a state flag - and with several state flags flown at the same time, it is customary the US flag is at the center, slightly higher than the state flags. State flags cannot be larger than a displayed US flag. US flags are the first raised - and the last lowered. No flag should be raised above the US flag.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Since Hawaii is not a country - we should at least clarify the rules for flying a state flag regarding your link. The below applies to all 50 states.

Hawaii is not? some people will not agree. you best be telling the people in Hilo.... and you also send Macdonalds a memo while you at it.

props to Macdeez!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ7mhuiGHiw

Old 07-18-2015, 11:54 PM

Long live McDonald's

Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 PM

430 posts, read 639,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Now I have to ask: do indigenous Hawaiians know about the atrocities committed against the Australian aborigines? I'm sure Aussie aborigines (the Polynesian distant cousins of Hawaiians) had no say in their country's flag design, as Australia unlike Hawaii became a mostly white nation under British rule.
Aborigines aren't Polynesian. They are descended from migrants out of Africa that preceded the other migrations out of Africa, with some Melanesian mixed in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: