Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

Even the experts where saying how do you control greed in reference to housing costs? Further that real estate in Oahu is an foriegners game. The ideal of supply and demand has been a crutch to keep the housing thrend the same IMHO. There is a demand for moderate and low income housing on Oahu but no supply because its not profitable enough. Anotherwords supply and demand has been controlled or the market controlled. The solution is society, things will change when our value systems change as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 12:31 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,253 times
Why doesn't Hawaii build social housing for the lower-income people like Singapore does? To pay for it, they could tax the foreigners to the moon (and they'd still pay it, because they can). To keep the newcomers from taking advantage of this cheap social housing, they could have long-term residency requirements, which would of course favor those who grew up in Hawaii as opposed to people moving over from the mainland on a lark.

I just find it odd that Hawaii is such a "blue" state but with massively "red" state results.

They just need to find a way to inflict pain on the foreigners and the rich who can just as easily live somewhere else, and let the long-term residents of Hawaii enjoy the standard of living they're entitled to, like the rest of us here in the US.

One thing I've always pondered about Hawaii, is what happens if the all the lower and middle-income people decide to pull up stakes and move to the mainland, leaving the rich to have the islands to themselves? Would it be a paradise for the rich, or would they suffer due to the lack of teachers, service personnel and other low-income workers? It sure would be interesting to find out how things would play out if something like this really did happen.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
To pay for it, they could tax the foreigners to the moon (and they'd still pay it, because they can). To keep the newcomers from taking advantage of this cheap social housing, they could have long-term residency requirements, which would of course favor those who grew up in Hawaii as opposed to people moving over from the mainland on a lark.

They just need to find a way to inflict pain on the foreigners and the rich who can just as easily live somewhere else, and let the long-term residents of Hawaii enjoy the standard of living they're entitled to, like the rest of us here in the US.
Hawaii has the highest state income taxes in the nation. Again, highest.

Who are these "foreigners" you are referring to? Immigrants? Most come from the Philippines who have been moving to Hawaii - I don't exactly think they have a lot of money to "tax to the moon".

Although having been to places like, lets say Georgia, I think most in Hawaii would take the standard of living here than there - because well, you'd be in Georgia.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hawaii has the highest state income taxes in the nation. Again, highest.
Are you sure about that? The highest income tax rate in Hawaiʻi is currently 11.0%, while the highest income tax rate in California is 12.3%. The lowest income tax rate in Hawaiʻi starts at 1.4%, while the lowest income tax rate in at least 25 states is higher than 1.4%. Here's a link to a PDF by the Federation of Tax Administrators that shows the individual income tax rates by state…
http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/ind_inc.pdf

Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Are you sure about that? The highest income tax rate in Hawaiʻi is currently 11.0%, while the highest income tax rate in California is 12.3%. The lowest income tax rate in Hawaiʻi starts at 1.4%, while the lowest income tax rate in at least 25 states is higher than 1.4%. Here's a link to a PDF by the Federation of Tax Administrators that shows the individual income tax rates by state…
http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/ind_inc.pdf
Having just finished my taxes claiming half a year each in Hawaii and California, I agree, I'll take Hawaii's taxation rates.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Let me clarify as bankrate.com led me astray - the highest income tax rate in Hawaii starts at only $200,000, so pretty easy to get there - as opposed to California you are still at 9.3% up to $250K and the top rate doesn't hit until $519,000

Old 04-08-2015, 02:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
But unfortunately wages haven't kept up with the cost of living, especially honolulu. Unless you have an union job or executive job.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But unfortunately wages haven't kept up with the cost of living, especially honolulu. Unless you have an union job or executive job.
Unfortunately, wages are only part of the story.

A better indicator in my opinion, is how much money do have - not so much, how much do you make.

The median for household net worth in Hawaii is about $200,000 - second only to Vermont. Think about it, half of all households in the entire state have net worth of at least $200,000

CFED: New Scorecard Data Show that Household Net Worth is on the Decline

Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,768 times
I listened to the entire video and didn't hear any real solutions offered that would result in lowering the cost of housing or the cost of living. Everyone can see the issues when they go to buy groceries or go to buy / rent a house. But nothing suggested that would have an immediately and meaningful impact.

Unfortunately the island has global demand and that skews local markets. It is not an issue that can be solved on the supply side, it can only be controlled by diminishing the demand side. Oahu is a small island. It can only support so much. If government can't control demand and population growth pressure, then the markets eventually will with ever increasing cost of living.

Given the unique circumstances of an island, the government needs to decide what the islands capacity is in terms of people, food and water and take some unique steps to set limits based on the islands ability to sustain itself.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 PM

850 posts, read 1,027,068 times
I'm watching the linked video right now - most of the panel seems kind of weak.
The program did prompt me to do a bit of searching about UH and yeah it does seem to have climbed in the rankings since I last checked <cough> decades ago.

Thanks to nerdlette for this thread and I'll be watching some of the other videos at the PBS Hawaii page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii