Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,496 times

Advertisements

For anyone who is struggling with the idea of whether or not to leave New Jersey, I just wanted to throw this thought out there. There are many factors, of course, but this did it for me.

I see so many posts centering around the notion that New Jersey has become unaffordable, crowded, filled with people "living to work", etc. When my husband first mentioned that it was time for us to leave New Jersey, I wasn't thrilled. I love New Jersey. It has a lot to offer, and it's proximity to New York City and Philadephia, along with it's shoreline, mountain regions and lakes makes it a very desireable place to live.
We have lots of friends and history in the state. Unfortunately, our property taxes crept into the $15,000 range. It wasn't the mortgage that we couldn't afford, it was the ever-rising property tax bill. On average, our tax bill was increasing between $800-$1000 EVERY year, with no end in sight.
It wasn't until my husband asked me one very important question, that really forced me to entertain the idea that it would be in our best interest to find a better place to live: "Will our children be able to afford to live here when they complete college?"
Of course there is always the possibility that one or two of our kids (we have three) will want to move out of the area anyway, but isn't it our responsibility to be in a place that our children will be able to afford as well? Would we shave set them up for a struggle if we had remained residents of NJ?
I don't know about anyone else, but I want my children around (within driving distance) when they are grown.
And people, please..this is a great big country we live in, New Jersey is NOT the end all, be all!

Last edited by stmaarten; 08-03-2007 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: grammar and additions

Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM

114 posts, read 208,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
For anyone who is struggling with the idea of whether or not to leave New Jersey, I just wanted to throw this thought out there. There are many factors, of course, but this did it for me.

I see so many posts centering around the notion that New Jersey has become unaffordable, crowded, filled with people "living to work", etc. When my husband first mentioned that it was time for us to leave New Jersey, I wasn't thrilled. I love New Jersey. It has a lot to offer, and it's proximity to New York City and Philadephia, along with it's shoreline, mountain regions and lakes makes it a very desireable place to live.
We have lots of friends and history in the state. Unfortunately, our property taxes crept into the $15,000 range. It wasn't the mortgage that we couldn't afford, it was the ever-rising property tax bill. On average, our tax bill was increasing between $800-$1000 EVERY year, with no end in sight.
It wasn't until my husband asked me one very important question, that really forced me to entertain the fact that it would be in our best interest to find a better place to live: "Will our children be able to afford to live here when they complete college?"
Of course there is the possibility that one or two of our kids (we have three) will want to move out of the area anyway, but isn't it our responsibility to be in a place that our children will be able to afford as well?
I don't know about anyone else, but I want my children around (within driving distance) when they are grown.
And people, please..this is a great big country we live in, New Jersey is NOT the end all, be all!
Hey Your husband is a very smart man I never thought about it that way I'm currently a College student almost done with school I have about another to semester left and have been doing some reserch to get my first Condo and even that alone looks very pricey. I heard the farther south in NJ you live the cheaper but compared to other states I'd actually beableto afford a big home in another state but bottomline NJ is becoming a very unaffordable place to maintain cost of living I love NJ but my sanity is a lot more important than me stressing out and trying to figure out how i'm going to pay my next months morgage payment. So do what in the best interest for you and your family. Good Luck

Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,769 times
I would say in a lot of cases-no. My husband grew up in Bergen County. He was not rich-middle class-his dad worked 2 jobs for over 20 years. There is no way, even if we both got part-time jobs to supplement that we could afford the town he grew up in. Even if we won enough $$ to buy a house in cash I still don't think we could afford it.

I grew up in Ocean County. There would be more of a chance of us affording it but it would be tight and one of us would have to work a 2nd job. When we lived in NJ we did both work 2nd jobs.

We are both college educated people with "decent" incomes things are very expensive in NJ.

I will say that I think it will get worse. The reason I say this, when I was a kid, there were parts of NJ that were relatively "inexpensive" because they were in the northwest part of the state or southern Part of the state. NJ still had some places you could call "boonies" They did not have a lot of people wanting to live there, so people could get homes relatively inexpensive. Is there any where in NJ that is like that any more? Places that used to be vacation spots are now year round. Isn't NJ supposed to be "built out" in like less than 20 years? That will make housing more expensive because it will be limited.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,658 times
I am not sure either..we are in NY...but hey its all the same...LOL. I dont know..Personally I would hope that my girls are well traveled, and educated and take advantage of college oppurtunites outside the tri-state area. We dont plan on living in the tristate forever...my dh's great job keeps us here...but my mission would be "in theory" to leave the TritState in a couple of years...maybe 3-5. Housing is one of them..but I am also looking at logisitically of where we would like to retire. It may sound like its too soon to consider that, but in this day and age..I think planning for retirement is essential..and for us that means warmer weather...no not going for the "promised land" approach..but simple warmer weather, more affordability for what our retirement income will provide us and higher quality of life. And I see us making the move to that sort of area in 5 years. My oldest doesnt start college for another 10 so we do still have time..but again, we are planning it out right now so we are not stranded, nor stuck. I would love for them to live near us..but if not that is okay too..I dont want them to be feel obligated and give up their dreams to stay close to the nest..likewise I would encourage them to leave if I didnt think they would be able to make it here.

We too are college educated and my dh has a senior level position and I see him only moving higher up the ranks..but it still doesnt buy us too much here. I dont see anything wrong with moving out to the midwest or the south or anywhere else for that matter even if its for a lower salary..you do what is right for you and your family. What I still dont get is when people just move cold turkey with out having employment secure..they just sell their house and go. I think you have to be smart and do your due diligence, check the job market, make sure you like the area and make an honest go of it..and please...quit complaining about how you cant stand the food. There is more to life than pizza and bagels! LOL

Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM

79 posts, read 498,681 times
I never thought about it that way......I have two youngs girls, both in elementary school- never thought that it would be harder for them to live here. WOW- sometimes its hard for us. I live in south Jersey and the homes here are a bit cheaper but taxes are a little higher. I am renting at this time and when I start to think about my girls, maybe we should think about leaving NJ????????

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM

47 posts, read 156,698 times
We definately thought of that...our oldest was 16 when we left NJ last year and that was one of our reasons for leaving. Would he be able to afford a house, even rent?! No..probably not. He would have been working to pay rent and auto insurance. If one day our kids are able to and want to go back, they can do that but at least I know we are giving them an opportunity to 'start' somewhere that is a little more reasonable to live.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,686 times
You would think state officials would be concerned when so many people are "evacuating" NJ. I would suggest everyone get out there and VOTE in the next election. That is the only way we can send a message to our politicians that we are not happy with the status quo.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM

36 posts, read 176,376 times
For all you Jersey Haters, I love Jersey! I think it is a great place to live and raise my 4 year old daughter. I also live in Cape May County where you can buy a 3 br home for $300k and have a tax bill less than $5000. I think raising your kids in this state is the best thing you can do for them. The schools down here are great! There is so much opportunity for them here. Plus living in Jersey, you develop this attitude of "if I can succeed here, I can succeed anywhere". I want her to grow up with that Jersey chip on her shoulder. If she decides to leave the state because she can't afford it, then fine, I'll decide what to do if that happens. But I think by staying here, she will have the best opportunity to succeed anywhere.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
Hey Your husband is a very smart man I never thought about it that way I'm currently a College student almost done with school I have about another to semester left and have been doing some reserch to get my first Condo and even that alone looks very pricey. I heard the farther south in NJ you live the cheaper but compared to other states I'd actually beableto afford a big home in another state but bottomline NJ is becoming a very unaffordable place to maintain cost of living I love NJ but my sanity is a lot more important than me stressing out and trying to figure out how i'm going to pay my next months morgage payment. So do what in the best interest for you and your family. Good Luck
ok so there it is.... the big problem with people in this state who say they cant afford to live here anymore. you said it. BIG HOME....how big are you looking for? if your single why get a big home. you stretch yourself beyond your means. everyone is so quick to blame the state for being so expensive and auto insurance is so expensive. well of course it is if your insuring a 60,000 suv with full coverage DUH.,..and if you live in 1,000,000.00 home with taxes that are beyond belief. cmon people take a look at how we are living now a days. people say i hope our kids can afford to live here. yes they can if they are tought how to manage money and not get into debt beyond their means. do new drivers need to have a brand new car? no... so stop complaining and start spending right.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
why not? i did it, i'm not that old where NJ was more affordable than it is now. make sure they get a good education, go into a field that they enjoy and can make a living on, don't spend beyond your means. i wasn't brought up thinking it was a god-given right to a $600K house and 2 $50K SUV's. no matter where you live, you start off small, and work your way up. even kids in NC probably start off in crappy apartments and work their way up.

eta: i know NJ is not the end all be all, *just like anyplace else*. i've traveled extensively through all parts of the US and world. one thing I realized that is this place is better than most and I choose to keep my roots here. don't assume ppl who live here are ignorant of other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey