Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 PM

850 posts, read 4,366,456 times

Advertisements

in today's honolulu star bulletin:starbulletin.com | Business | /2008/01/20/
paradise comes with a price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM

39 posts, read 160,011 times
During my week in Kauai, I had the pleasure of getting to know quite a few locals. They were all really cool people. I am white, they were Hawaiian and Samoan. I also experienced a haole that they didn't like so much, who ended up getting a broken nose. He was disrespectful, condescending, and in the end, threatening when they, make that we, didn't like his attitude. The broken nose happened when he tried to come back, drunk and angry, after being asked to leave. After it was all over, we talked about the whole haole issue. They were very clear that their only problem with white people is when they act like this guy did, but when they are cool and respectful, they are welcomed. Not by all, but by the large majority.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
in today's honolulu star bulletin:starbulletin.com | Business | /2008/01/20/
paradise comes with a price
Not always.

In 1989 my wife and I decided to move to Oahu and take back a house that had been a rental for eighteen years. We knew we were going to need lots of stuff. We were coming from Southern California.

My wife and I are pretty frugal. Some might say cheap. We shop at Costco for lots of things, and before we moved, we made a list of things we were going to need for the house. We were going to ship a 20 ft container, taking some things we already owned (we were keeping a house on the mainland, with our married daughter and family living there, so much stayed), buying some things on the mainland to ship in the container, and buying others after arrival. We made some preliminary trips back and forth, and on one of them, brought a list of things we had priced at a Costco on the mainland, to price again at the Oahu Costco.

It was a pretty long list, and as I remember, there were only one or two things on the list where the price was more at the Oahu Costco. Mattress and box spring was one, I remember.

It would be interesting to do the same comparison now, for identical items at another "Big Box" store, like Lowes, or Home Depot.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii