Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 02:56 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times

Advertisements

Daimond Head trail is paved for most of it's length. The inside of the crater has all sorts of bunkers in it and the ones at the upper rim that you have to hike to get to used to have gun emplacements in them during WWII. There's a set of really long stairs up near the top of the trail. The Civil Defense headquarters for Oahu used to be inside Diamond Head crater, I don't know if it still is or not.

Way back when, there used to be rock concerts inside the crater, but they don't do that anymore. A governor several govs back, I forget which one, also considered making an amusement park inside the crater.

I think you have to pay to park there now and perhaps even to go on the trail. It's been a really long time since I've been there but it used to be a fun hike with an incredible view at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 03:01 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I think you have to pay to park there now
You do

Old 05-16-2015, 09:01 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I doubt it will ever reopen - there are always stranded hikers seemingly on a monthly basis.

Just this past month, a hiker disappeared, never to found.

Daylenn Pua Still Missing After Climbing Hawaii's Infamous 'Stairway To Heaven'
Here's hoping it made it.......

CN.......

Old 05-16-2015, 10:12 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Ok, so when you talk about "craters" you're making reference to old volcanoes? In my small world the word crater is only used in reference to the moon. Once a crater does it never have a chance to erupt again? What/who determines a volcano will never become active again?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:51 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Ok, so when you talk about "craters" you're making reference to old volcanoes? In my small world the word crater is only used in reference to the moon. Once a crater does it never have a chance to erupt again? What/who determines a volcano will never become active again?
Pele?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:30 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Diamond Head is the cone of an old volcanic eruption, the inside of the cone is called a "crater" since it's a big round depression inside. I've heard the moon craters are from being struck by asteroids, does the moon have any volcanic action? I've never thought about it.

There's a hot spot of magma coming up between or through the tectonic plates or some such deep down in the ocean. It pushes out lava which starts layering and piling up and eventually there's enough lava to break the surface of the water. Let it cool down, add a few coconut trees and hotels and that is what has become the Hawaiian Islands. As the tectonic plates shift, the parts of lava that have already come out above the magma spot shift over sideways. Once the magma spot is no longer below them, they are no longer active volcanoes. I think Diamond Head might be considered a dead or extinct volcano and half the Big Island (made of about five volcanic mountains) is considered dormant although how that's different from dead, I'm not precisely sure. The vulcanologists would know. The other half of the Big Island is still growing and Pele is busy over there. There's also a new island being formed. It's been named "Loihi", I think, and it won't break the surface of the ocean for hundreds if not thousands of years. Building islands isn't a very quick process.

So, the volcanoes won't become active again unless the tectonic plates shift back the other way and bring them over the hot spot again. I have no clue if the hot spot can shift anywhere or not, I don't know why it stays in one spot. It seems impervious to the shifting of tectonic plates so that's a pretty tenacious hot spot.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:05 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
We used to find spent rounds (shells) when I was little (late 60s/early 70s. It was a lot of fun for us kids to see whom could collect the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii