Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 AM

26 posts, read 70,764 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are taking a two year sabbatical. What work we need to do can be remote.
When we list the experience we want to have for those two years it was pretty short.
Beach
Smaller town. Real vibe. Safe of course.
Surf everyday - all day - until its time to head home.

It's been a lifetime since I've been on a board so its baby waves for me for a good while.
Totally understand the need to be respectful of the residents and caretakers of the waves so we need to find that delicate balance of a great small town where we can get to know enough people to be part of the community before taking up space on the waves.
No need for the big north shore waves as there is no way I'll get good enough in two years to deserve to do anything but admire them and those talented enough to surf them.

Hope this is making sense.

Just hoping for a great town where I can take my 5 year old every day and enjoy life for these precious two years.

Thanks to all in advance for any and all input. It's greatly appreciated.

thanks!

(fyi - my screen name was arrived at because as I was signing my, my little dude came into the room pouting that "momma said no" ..... all others I tried were already taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 AM

101 posts, read 138,730 times
Sounds to me like Costa Rica would be a better plan for small town, surf every day. Your money will stretch much further and you won't have to deal with localism on waves. Plus, you'll become fluent in Spanish!
You will just need to travel to Nicaragua every now and then for a few days when the visa runs out. Then re-enter Costa Rica. The surf there is great as well.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Kailua Oahu has lovely beaches, but you'll probably not surf much there since the break is further out. Makapuu has nice bodysurfing waves and that's not too far from Kailua. Town side (Ala Moana, Waikiki, etc.,) has the occasional small waves.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:01 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,257,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Kailua Oahu has lovely beaches, but you'll probably not surf much there since the break is further out. Makapuu has nice bodysurfing waves and that's not too far from Kailua. Town side (Ala Moana, Waikiki, etc.,) has the occasional small waves.
This is where i would start. Ala Moana, Waikiki. Get use to the waves and learning to surf. If you are going to stay a couple of years. Than later on you could try west Oahu, Waianae and Makaha.
Would not try to surf the North shore during the winter. Sightseeing is alright. Due to the north swell and the Big waves arrive. The north shore is the best and least populated area's of the Island.
All the towns just kinda run together on the island, so you just have to choose a location you want to stay at.
Best of luck.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,915,541 times
The place you describe exists only here:

Ultimate Adventure Bucket List - Surf Yakutat Bay, Alaska -- National Geographic

Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM

308 posts, read 410,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Except for that bit about the water being frigid and the mountains holding more ice/snow than anywhere outside of the polar ice caps. LOL! I know you loved living in AK, but I gotta say that ice, snow, and nearly endless night time in the winter aren't my idea of paradise--or even somewhere I'd want to visit. But the photos you and your wife shared, elsewhere, of your time living in AK were definitely stunning and beautiful! I just wouldn't want to experience it in person :-). But who knows? It might just be the OP's idea of the perfect place to spend 2 years. More power to 'em, if so .

Old 05-19-2015, 01:44 AM

26 posts, read 70,764 times
Thanks gang. Greatly appreciated.

AK looks beautiful. But warm weather is the goal.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 PM

19 posts, read 21,749 times
I understand what you mean. We were looking for a quite area with a lot of beach and mountain to enjoy and explore, and we've just found such a place for our future retirement!
Too bad we have to wait another 2 years until we can permanently live there!
Hey, maybe we can work out a deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii