Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 AM

18 posts, read 25,804 times

Advertisements

We live in the economically devestated city of Binghamton where most people are fleeing. The only people moving into the area come with home vouchers and maps showing where the local social services are located. There is a glut of property on the market. For business, I have to relocate for one year and pray I find a new job in the new area. In the meantime I would like to rent my home out. Best would be for it to be rented furnished. It would be at a loss because rents are so low but better than nothing. But I don't want to rent to anyone who can't afford to pay for damages. I am also worried about liability. Given it is furnished and temporary, would I have to adhere to usual rental laws and allow children? If so, anyone know anything about limiting liability in the event the children are not well supervised and hurt themselves. There are natural dangers on the property. There is a steep staircase in the house, a steep rock garden in the back and two balconies that could be unsafe if children were to go out on them (second floor) and climb the guardrails. None of these things are unsafe for adults but would be unsafe if children were running around them. The balconies are safe for toddler aged but elementary school aged kids who like to climb could see them as fun. I know you can't usually exclude kids but is there a way to limit my liability if they do move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
There are lots of cities with that name. What state or country are you in?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Actually I think there is only one place called Binghamton. Binghamton NY. A NY times article correctly labeled it "The burned out industrial city of Binghamton".

Old 05-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Now I'm wondering if I posted this in the wrong place.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:40 PM

There is one in Wisconsin and one in England. Contrary to popular opinion, NY is not the center of everything.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Nope SouthernBelleInUtah, there is no city in Wisconsin or England called Binghamton. There is only an unincorporated area in Wisconsin called Binghamton. The census does not list anyone as a resident of Binghamton Winsconsin. There is no city in England called Binghamton. I was unaware that NY was the center for everything but if you say so it is I won't argue. You may like the fact that Binghamton is in the Southern Tier of the State of NY though.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binghamton View Post
We live in the economically devestated city of Binghamton where most people are fleeing. The only people moving into the area come with home vouchers and maps showing where the local social services are located. There is a glut of property on the market. For business, I have to relocate for one year and pray I find a new job in the new area. In the meantime I would like to rent my home out. Best would be for it to be rented furnished. It would be at a loss because rents are so low but better than nothing. But I don't want to rent to anyone who can't afford to pay for damages. I am also worried about liability. Given it is furnished and temporary, would I have to adhere to usual rental laws and allow children? If so, anyone know anything about limiting liability in the event the children are not well supervised and hurt themselves. There are natural dangers on the property. There is a steep staircase in the house, a steep rock garden in the back and two balconies that could be unsafe if children were to go out on them (second floor) and climb the guardrails. None of these things are unsafe for adults but would be unsafe if children were running around them. The balconies are safe for toddler aged but elementary school aged kids who like to climb could see them as fun. I know you can't usually exclude kids but is there a way to limit my liability if they do move in?
It's your home my friend, you can rent it, or not rent it, to whomever you wish And you owe no one any explanations for who you choose to rent to.

I would suggest you advertise it as a home for a couple or single person ONLY.

Just be firm on that and hopefully you will find a good tenant.

Best of luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM

thanks Lovemountains. I thought is was illegal to discriminate against families with children. Does that not apply to my home?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I would suggest you advertise it as a home for a couple or single person ONLY.
That sounds like a bad idea.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:16 PM

My original point was that most people on this forum are not in NY nor have most heard of your city. It helps to identify the state as housing laws vary by state.
PLEASE tell us your location when asking questions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting